On a mission to like jazz
Oct 20, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #4,861 of 5,054
This is one of my favorite albums of any genre or generation... Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (1958).

Cannonball-Aderley-edited.jpg

The quintet of: Cannonball Adderley - Alto Sax; Miles Davis - Trumpet; Hank Jones - Piano; Sam Jones - Bass; and Art Blakey - Drums. Love everything on this, but especially Autumn Leaves, and Somethin' Else.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,862 of 5,054
Anyway, last night I listened to Miles Davis's "Round About Midnight" CD and was floored at how great it is. I've had that and My Funny Valintine - Miles in Concert for at least 15 years but never really listened to them until last night. Truely some great work there and will definitely make it to my "play all the time" list :slight_smile:
Great - I've not heard those, thanks for the idea. Passport is proving to be a nicely snarky band. See some examples over on the "Listening" thread, folks.

We went to Checkpoint Charlie - there's a cool museum there. The best real museum we visited was the Zwinger in Dresden - spectacular.
I visited Dachau, Dora-Mittelbau and Buchenwald (many times). Buchenwald was close to Aschersleben; I would ask the new US folks if they wanted to visit, and most of them did. The memorials are very heavy, especially Dachau. The Nazi scientists' experimental log books are on display. Ugh. But the Germans get it right ... the Holocaust is required learning for everybody in grade six. They won't repeat their past history.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #4,863 of 5,054
Great - I've not heard those, thanks for the idea. Passport is proving to be a nicely snarky band. See some examples over on the "Listening" thread, folks.
Speaking of Snarky band... Snarky Puppy Empire Central. This is a 2 CD and a great mixture of jazz...

91u1DcqJvXL._SL1500_.jpg

Three of my favorites on this album...

We went to Checkpoint Charlie - there's a cool museum there. The best real museum we visited was the Zwinger in Dresden - spectacular.
I visited Dachau, Dora-Mittelbau and Buchenwald (many times). Buchenwald was close to Aschersleben; I would ask the new US folks if they wanted to visit, and most of them did. The memorials are very heavy, especially Dachau. The Nazi scientists' experimental log books are on display. Ugh. But the Germans get it right ... the Holocaust is required learning for everybody in grade six. They won't repeat their past history.
Yeah, I missed all that while in Germany. Anyway, my daughter and I visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC back in 2008 as she was doing a report on it for high school. A very emotional experience we will never forget.

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #4,865 of 5,054
This is one of my favorite albums of any genre or generation... Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (1958).

The quintet of: Cannonball Adderley - Alto Sax; Miles Davis - Trumpet; Hank Jones - Piano; Sam Jones - Bass; and Art Blakey - Drums. Love everything on this, but especially Autumn Leaves, and Somethin' Else.
Got it - it's on Qobuz. Thanks again.
BTW, what Passport albums have you heard? And you have a link to that thread you mention?
Sure thing, mate! https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now.253245/page-8587#post-17783105

ps. I'm a huge Snarky Puppy fan. Check out their album Sylva with the Metropole Orkest. It is simply great. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylva_(album)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #4,866 of 5,054
BTW, what Passport albums have you heard? And you have a link to that thread you mention?
As with most bands new to me, I start at the beginning of their discography. Now up to #4 - "Cross Collateral" and it's the best yet. They've gelled into a great fusion group. A great reco and - they do sound nicely snarky. :)

Oct 20, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #4,867 of 5,054
As with most bands new to me, I start at the beginning of their discography. Now up to #4 - "Cross Collateral" and it's the best yet. They've gelled into a great fusion group. A great reco and - they do sound nicely snarky. :)
Not including the live albums, Cross Collateral would be #5 in their studio releases. Anyway, that's one I've not heard in a while as it's the least played for me. Anyway, giving a listen now that you mention it.
Sure thing, mate! https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now.253245/page-8587#post-17783105

ps. I'm a huge Snarky Puppy fan. Check out their album Sylva with the Metropole Orkest. It is simply great. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylva_(album)
Didn't realize you were talking about the "What are you listening to thread". You already know I post there. I think that's where you say my Passport post :slight_smile:

And yeah, I have some of their other stuff including Syva in my Amazon basket; I just need to slow my Miles purchases before going moving to them. I saw that Empire Central mentioned in another jazz forum I was at, so I took a chance. Glad I got it. Looking forward to their other stuff when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #4,868 of 5,054
Not including the live albums, Cross Collateral would be #5 in their studio releases. Anyway, that's one I've not heard in a while as it's the least played for me. Anyway, giving a listen now that you mention it.

Didn't realize you were talking about the "What are you listening to thread". You already know I post there. I think that's where you say my Passport post :slight_smile:

And yeah, I have some of their other stuff including Syva in my Amazon basket; I just need to slow my Miles purchases before going moving to them. I saw that Empire Central mentioned in another jazz forum I was at, so I took a chance. Glad I got it. Looking forward to their other stuff when I get a chance.

Their "Family Dinner" 1&2 are good, they have vocalists and are live in studio with a small audience. So - a different experience than most of their albums that do not have vocalists. Their more recent ~10-yr and newer releases have several Grammy winners amongst them, including Sylva and Empire Central ... check out the Wiki for details.

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #4,869 of 5,054
Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin from the 1980 San Francisco show...

1697919226395.jpeg

Their "Family Dinner" 1&2 are good, they have vocalists and are live in studio with a small audience. So - a different experience than most of their albums that do not have vocalists. Their more recent ~10-yr and newer releases have several Grammy winners amongst them, including Sylva and Empire Central ... check out the Wiki for details.
Both albums are from the same venue, but Saturday Night In San Francisco ended up being released 41 years later! Friday Night was released in 1981, Saturday Night was finally released in 2022. From Al Di Meola...
“For 40 years, I’ve had the other night that no-one knew about except for the people that went to the show,” Di Meola revealed in a recent Guitar World interview. “In fact, even John didn’t remember we played a second night!
Source: A sequel to Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia’s legendary live album Friday Night In San Francisco is on the way.

Both albums are great, Friday Night In San Franscisco is a classic as it's been out a while, but I think the Saturday session is better, but that's me. BTW it sounds phenomenal as I also have the Impex SACD version...
1697920669633.jpeg

Also have the Half-Speed mastered vinyl of Friday Night In San Francisco

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #4,870 of 5,054
I listened to part of "On The Corner" and didn't care for it. Just FYI. It's not on top of my Miles catalog ...

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #4,872 of 5,054
I listened to part of "On The Corner" and didn't care for it. Just FYI. It's not on top of my Miles catalog ...
Sorry, but when I bought it (those back in April), I was only thinking about my ears. Just FYI :slight_smile:

Anyway, as I said in another thread where you posted the album... I view it as 60 minutes of varying degrees of repetitiveness that gets tiresome after a while.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #4,873 of 5,054
Got my order in today - Miles Davis Sorcerer; and Nefertiti; In A Silent Way. Got Miles Smiles two weeks ago. These are hybrid SACD discs that will play on any standard CD player. Unfortunately, I don't have a SACD player, but even in standard Redbook mode they sound great!!! Packaging is also great as they're facsimile mini-LPs.

Miles-Order--Oct23.jpg

Miles-Order--Oct23-sealed.jpg

All four of these are in the "must have" category for Miles fans/collectors. In A Silent Way is arguably on of Miles top 3 albums - at minimum top 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back