Should I refund a buyer?
Nov 23, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #61 of 143
He mailed you the amp, you did not agree to a refund, nor imply, nor did you express any plans to.

Keep it.

Free amps for all, la-la-la. They are raining from the sky.

Seriously, mail it back with a nice signed certificate of enodorcement that the amp is in full, working order.
Explain to Pay Pal that you sold him the amp without warrenty, and even offered to re-inspect and fix it at no cost, and a return is not needed, because the amp is perfectly fine.

Make sure to include that he's scamming you, as he bought the SR-71 at the same time, and only wanted to keep one. Pay Pal should have that transaction too.

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #62 of 143
after reading his mail, from the way he carefreely mentioned thing as easy as simply refund it or return it, i get the impression that this IS the kind of guy that take the refund/return system for granted and abuse it.

"Hi Raymond,
I received you package today but I am not that impresses with the quality of the output. I wouldb like to send it back to you and ask for a refund less shipping charges. I will await you reply before going further."

hows that for the first email from buyer after item has been received.

he didnt even bother to try it with different source/setup before asking the refund, but simply shot it out straight away on the 1st day.
you tell me if thats not abusing the system.
didnt even sound sorry or apologetic or embarassed.
dont worry about it, send it back, you can tell him that he can get 50% of the amp's worth refund (for the hassle he caused you) if he wants to.

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #63 of 143
Man this steve guy sounds like a real arse. He is very unprofessional w/ his words, and his actions. He can't just return something cause he doesn't like the sound. He actually makes you (ufo) seem like the bad guy, and I don't think you are. Does steve realize he's dealing with an actual person? He just seems like he's trying to weasel out of it. I doubt any head-fiers would ever want to deal with this guy. And I don't think anyone ever will. Steve's pretty much blacklisted now.
tongue.gif

I think raisin was right in thinking this guy just wanted to audition the two amps and return one, which I think is inappropiate. He should've just said that he wanted to audition before he bought it. It'd be sad if every head-fier had to write detailed disclaimers just to sell something. More people would just try to find loopholes and crap. We need to keep lawyers out of Head-fi! (except for our law-practicing members of course, you know what I mean)

I'm over-exaggerating a bit, just to get my useless point across.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #64 of 143
This Steve Beyer guy is a real turd, judging from the emails. "I don't consider this buyer's remorse but rather buyer's disappointment." Huh? You bought it bud; it's yours. Then he has the audacity to question your morals for not accepting the return. This, coupled with the fact that he bought the SR-71 and the PPA within days of each other, suggests that he's just dishonest.

It's not even clear that he's claiming the amp hisses. He says the sound is "sloppy and hissy" which sounds to me like he's describing not hiss, but rather the opaque hardness to the sound that many PPAs have. That's just the amp's flavor. There's nothing wrong with it.

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #67 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Since Ufokillerz posted this malefactor's username, a little research shows that the bozo bought the sr-71, AND the PPA within days of each other. It seems almost certain that he planned to audition the amps, with the intent of returning what didn't please. You know, just like at BB, It's part of the cost of doing business, If he can't afford shipping and insurance, He should'nt have sold it to me!
confused.gif

end rant.

What he said. I am inclined to think he does not want to resell it because of his lack of acsess to a computer.

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #68 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Beyer
I am sorry that you feel betrayed but think how I feel when I find out that someone from by beloved head-fi group would not even allow me to evaluate the amp before completing the purchase.

Um, WHAT? Hello, when you buy something in the B/S/T forums here it is not implied that you will get to "evaluate" your purchase before completing the transaction. Sure, you can test it to make sure it's not defective but if it doesn't have the sonic signature that you thought it would, you're on your own unless the seller is feeling generous. I'm under the impression that ufokillerz considered this a done deal whenever he received the payment and shipped off the amp. I'm betting that Steve NEVER told him about buying the SR-71 or mentioned merely wanting to "evaluate" the PPA before committing to a purchase. Bad Steve, bad.

Quote:

If I go to Best Buy and purchase a CD player and I find I am not satisfied I expect to return it for a full refund. If I buy a shirt from Land's End and itjust doesn't fit right, I expect to be able to send it back and get a full refund. I would think that buying from someone on head-fi to offer equal or better service. Why do you not want to offer the same level of service.

Well, perhaps the fact that ufokillerz is not a RETAIL CHAIN might have something to do with why he is hesitant to offer that same level of service?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
I would take it back to test, if I find any problems with it, I will agree to the refund, but If I find no problems with it, I do not see any reason to issue a refund. Does that sound reasonable. You never mentioned that fact that it could be defective. You just mentioned that it was hissing. If it is by any means defective, I will gladly issue a refund for that.

This is being fair if you ask me. Sellers should stand behind defective products, but not products that are bought and tested on a Rent-A-Center basis.

Quote:

For all I know the amp could be deffective after its ride. All I know is that it does not sound as good as my SR-71 or even my meager Mister X pimeta amps. If this is caused by my inferior equipment than I have no use for such a high quality amp.

If you have no use for it, it's not the seller's problem. Sorry, you should have done your research before you bought it. You need to resell the amp yourself. I do not see too many people running iPods through PPA's here...maybe that should have clued you in? The SR71 was probably a much better match for the iPod, but even it would be considered overkill by some. Source first...

Quote:

I don't seem to see why you are making it such an ordeal to return it. Am I missing someting here?

I don't seem to see why you are making it such an ordeal to resell the PPA after you were unhappy with it. You were willing to throw ufokillerz an extra $25 to take it back, but you aren't willing to resell it for $25 less than you bought it? Am I missing something here?

Quote:

It is a shame that you will not stand behind what you sell. I have not met many unhonable people on head-fi. You leave me no other option but to proceed with paypal and amex complaint process. I will be shipping the amp back via mail tomorrow. You should be ashamed of your ethics.

Wait--you bought both an SR-71 and a PPA on the forums, tested them with your iPod, preferred the SR-71 sonically, and want to send the PPA back to the seller who did not know this transaction was on a "Try before you buy basis." You were being kinda shady during this deal...and you say HE should be ashamed??
confused.gif

Quote:

Wouldn't be easier to re list the amp and make the custer happy? I am not asking you to lose money since I would pay shipping both ways. How about I even chip in an extra $25 for you trouble?

Why not re list the amp yourself, knock an extra $25 off of what you paid, and end up in the exact same spot financially (actually better, since you wouldn't have to pay to ship the amp back to ufo)? You could resell the PPA at $25 less than what you paid and make a custer of your own happy.

To anyone in this thread like Pinkie that doesn't consider the transaction closed until the buyer is happy, even if it means accepting the item back because they didn't do their research, good for you--it is very generous of you to do so, but it shouldn't be the de facto standard on a B/S/T forum like this. All sales are considered final unless 1) the product is defective or 2) unless otherwise agreed by the buyer/seller before the deal is finished.

I'm not saying that if I sold a product that I would never take it back if the buyer was unhappy, but it would definitely depend on the circumstance. If I sold a product that I was sure wasn't defective, I would not feel obligated to take it back. I would have to wonder why the seller just didn't relist it at the price they paid and chalk it up as experience. This isn't Wal-Mart...

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #72 of 143
You know it's guys like that (and others) who are going to ruin a good thing for everybody. Jude, and Head-Fi are providing a free service (if you choose it to be) to help spread the enjoyment of this hobby of ours through the FS/FT forums, and all he ever gets is a kick in the ass in return.
rolleyes.gif
How much longer do you think it will take before Jude shuts the FS/FT forums down altogether? With the growing trend of buyer/seller disputes around here, probably not long, and who could say they'd blame him? I would suggest people start acting more responsible around here, or we might soon be seeing a thread titled; RIP, FS/FT forums
frown.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #73 of 143
I waited until I got the full story before posting anything and I gotta say:

Steve, you are definitely in the wrong here. If everyone in the forums did what you just did or even 20% of the people did what you did, no one would sell their equipment. As others have said the f/s forums are not Best Buy. You do not return your purchases here if the item is working and you don't like the sound. You resell it yourself.

I have seen numerous people resell things here and say "The amp works great, it is just not my kind of sound, so it is up for sale". If you want to audition things before you buy, then go to a reseller who offers that and expect to pay a higher price.

edit: UFO, You may want to take Steve's and your's email address' out of your post.

Nov 23, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #74 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
ufokillerz posted a legitimate question, only to have his thread crapped on. The offending posts have been deleted and I would expect that those involved would keep their "issue" private.

Just to make this quite clear, I for one did not crap on this thread at all. I answered the question completely on-topic, was attacked once again by you-know-who and responded by sending him a PM. That IS keeping it private, I believe.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #75 of 143
IMO ufokillerz acted 100% correct.

The buyer is wrong when asking for the deal to be cancelled by a refund. He is simply wrong. Might be, though, due to a lack of experience in private transactions (from the part of the buyer, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back