Should I refund a buyer?
Nov 22, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Genetic, ufokillerz didn't build the amp, he just sold it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also believe that it's the right of the seller to choose whether to refund or not in this particular instance.

OK..... but does he have the skill to test it? If he does, he has made a transaction with the promise that the amp was in perfect working condition. If the amp arrives at destination with a problem, the problem is for ufokillerz not for the buyer. Unless he made perfectly clear that the amp was in an «unknown» condition, without that been said explicitely I cant see how he can avoid the amp comming back.

Even with a technical prob. do the transaction is void? No but the repair has to be made by the seller.

In this case the techno problem is, has it seems, a matter of pairing the existing gears of the seller and not a defective amp. In that case no refund unless ufo wants to.

Amicalement

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 143
Deduct the shipping costs you have suffered and send him the refund. Anything else is not worth the grief. In the future you might want to check into what the product your selling is going to be used with, and for.
I think you are in the right 100%. But just think you should give the money back and leave the detailed info in his feedback thread.

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Genetic, ufokillerz didn't build the amp, he just sold it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also believe that it's the right of the seller to choose whether to refund or not in this particular instance.

UFO wouldn't be asking our opinions on what the best course of action is if it were that cut and dried, he's obviously thinking along the lines of buyer "satisfaction" which has got to be good news...... if I sell a pair of 1970's headphones that don't fit the bill, of course I will refund the buyer in full if he isn't satisfied..... that's the way I am and the way the vast majority of head-fiers are.....

Thanks for this thread UFO it gives me yet more info on who (and who not) to do business with in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 143
Personally I wouldn't be able to get any sleep if I knew somebody whom I had sold something to wasn't satisfied. I would either take it back and resell it OR somehow help the buyer to become satisfied or sell it. It's a bummer to buy something you don't like.
I bought a *thing* from a fellow head-fi which turned out to have an issue, and when I contacted him he didn't response. Bummer! Fortunately the American company who'd made the product didn't mind shipping int'l so I got it replaced.

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
UFO wouldn't be asking our opinions on what the best course of action is if it were that cut and dried, he's obviously thinking along the lines of buyer "satisfaction" which has got to be good news...... if I sell a pair of 1970's headphones that don't fit the bill, of course I will refund the buyer in full if he isn't satisfied..... that's the way I am and the way the vast majority of head-fiers are.....

Thanks for this thread UFO it gives me yet more info on who (and who not) to do business with in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

YGPM....
icon10.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #21 of 143
Since you've got it in your posession, go ahead and give the guy his money back. If he still had it I'd say no refund, and let him resell if he doesn't like it. If you were selling some amplifier with an unknown quality, AKA some homebrew type design, then yes a refund may be appropriate. But a PPA, built by the much respected MisterX, should definitely close a sale as "final". Like I said though, it's already in your hands. Give the guy his money back and post a new for sale.

Edit: What I'm saying is, next time don't even take the thing back. It's not yours, and you didn't build it. Tell him that you're sure that MisterX will transfer the "warranty" on his amp, and to contact the original builder if there's a problem.

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 143
Quote:

Did you ask the guy what source he would be using before you sold the amp to him? ipod and PPA seem a pretty weird combo to me
eek.gif

Good point. I think the seller has to take on some responsibility as well. I wouldn't have sold my MG-Head OTL to someone who's primary headphones are Grado, because I know from experience that they are not an ideal match for one another. On the flip side of the coin, the buyer should have an idea about component matching as well, it's a double edged sword. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't refund because legally you don't have to, just that I would to aviod any further aggravation. At worst you probably learned a valuable lessen, at best you can resell to someone where incompatibility will be not an issue.

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 143
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

I think he's referring to the last line, and ipodstudio took it as an implication that you wouldn't want to do business with him based on his opinion in this matter. taking offense, he fired off that PM.

if it's a misunderstanding, cest la vie - but just in case the more prudent course of action is not to air it out as a matter of public record where wankers like me can chime in where i'm not wanted, eh?
cool.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 143
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Mike.

I am watching for that aspect myself. See who thinks in ways similar to my opinions.

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz

I told him no refund since the amp is in perfect working condition. He told me that he would send the amp back, and proceed with paypal and amex complaints. also told me that i should be ashamed of my ethics.

When a person tells you something like this I can understand the temptation to «hang up» on him. It's a matter of principle. The ice under him broke off...

Amicalement

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 143
Restocking fee.

Ipodstudio, if he wants to post your pm in public, that is his choice, I don't see how that could possibly be a violation of any rule. Anywhere. Except some jacked up country with crazy tyrant dictator. Head-fi is no such country, and Jude is no such dictator.

Nov 23, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #29 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
Restocking fee.

Ipodstudio, if he wants to post your pm in public, that is his choice, I don't see how that could possibly be a violation of any rule. Anywhere. Except some jacked up country with crazy tyrant dictator. Head-fi is no such country, and Jude is no such dictator.

it is a question of ethics and etiquette. You dont post a PM on the forums because thats what they are "Private Messages"

If you cannot handle your problems in private then you need to rethink your strategy because I sure didnt want to see their personal mess on the forums?
confused.gif
I have no idea why that PM was posted...was PF trying to round up support?

People liks us...onlookers...cannot commend because we dont know the history of the feud between them and I am happy for that
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back