Should I refund a buyer?
Nov 23, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #46 of 143
What cans was he using with the amp?

Did you test the buffers when you got it back to make sure he didn't fry them?
It's pretty easy to forgot you can't unplug the cans on a PPA when it's powered up.

I have ran into problems with PPA's hissing when used to drive ultra low Z highly sensitive cans (like Shure's) but there is an easy fix for that.

Instead of being a dick he.... never mind I don't want to go off on a tangent when I only know one side of the story.
wink.gif

Needless to say that I agree with the consensus and you should not be obligated to refund his money but at the same time it might be the lesser of two evils here.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #47 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
this is a opamp based amp, there is no warmup,
i have tested it on my setup, and it works perfect.

Quality of his mains supply????? Faulty connections on his equipment???? It could be anything. But if what you say is tru and it works fine on your own rig. Then hell don't bother with the refund. Let him get it from AMEX. He should be protected. You sold him a legit product which worked so what's the problem????
Is this because he bought it, disn't like the sound with his rig, felt stupid so blame it on a so called hiss, get a life. In a matter of fact get a better setup which desrves this kind of amplification.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #48 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
What cans was he using with the amp?

Did you test the buffers when you got it back to make sure he didn't fry them?
It's pretty easy to forgot you can't unplug the cans on a PPA when it's powered up.

I have ran into problems with PPA's hissing when used to drive ultra low Z highly sensitive cans (like Shure's) but there is an easy fix for that.

Instead of being a dick he.... never mind I don't want to go off on a tangent when I only know one side of the story.
wink.gif

Needless to say that I agree with the consensus and you should not be obligated to refund his money but at the same time it might be the lesser of two evils here.

He's using PX100 and HD-25 cans.

yes the buffers are working perfectly.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #49 of 143
The thing that should have occurred in this situation is that the person buys the item, dislikes it...then resells it himself. There was one time where I offered to refund someone's money if the sound of a pair of cables didn't sound good in his system, but I offered that refund myself -- he ended up enjoying and keeping the cables.

But under general circumstances, there should be no "return if unsatisfied" setup. If someone does want to return something simply based on disliking the item and for no other reason, any refund should be less total shipping costs and perhaps 10-15%. Not sure we can make this a rule, but it would be fair.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #50 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
He's using PX100 and HD-25 cans.

yes the buffers are working perfectly.

Yea, I just read that in the first post.

Note to self: read the whole thread before posting....
rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #51 of 143
Since Ufokillerz posted this malefactor's username, a little research shows that the bozo bought the sr-71, AND the PPA within days of each other. It seems almost certain that he planned to audition the amps, with the intent of returning what didn't please. You know, just like at BB, It's part of the cost of doing business, If he can't afford shipping and insurance, He should'nt have sold it to me!
confused.gif

end rant.

Nov 23, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #53 of 143
Nope, no refund, as long as he received it in perfect working order, and he was running this amp with an ipod, he should know better.
before he buy it, he shouldve done his own research about the PPA and find out whether his system is up to the PPA's performance.

im quite sure that hissing is from ipod with some bad MP3s and low end headphones. ( meaning the PPA revealed all the crap in his system)

i say if you refund this kind of people, they will take this for granted and start abusing the system. (eg. an ignorant perception like this: "doesnt matter, just buy as much stuff as i want, i can always send it back and get a refund anyway...")

if my point of view is considered wrong here, oh well, i might as well buy an R-10 and run it through my discman and when i find nothing special, i just return the R10 and get a full refund anyway...
rolleyes.gif

i have bought my own share of items off ebay that i wasnt completely satisfied as well, but i sold them again by myself because the sellers didnt trick me into buying the stuff nor provided misleading infos.

and that buyer should receive a negative feedback by the way.

Nov 23, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #54 of 143
First, he is an idiot for even mentioning BB return policy. That's inexcusable IMO. If it were me I'd refund his money (less shipping charges) simply to avoid the hassle, and recommend he stick to buying BB junk and avoid the specialty products found here. I'd also post appropriate feedback for him. I likely wouldn't sell to or buy anything from someone with negative feedback.

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #55 of 143
I would say no refund, because ufokillerz sold it in working order. The buyer should have done his research before buying it. If ufokillerz has placed a return policy with you, during the buy, then fine. If not, that PPA is your, no questions asked. This is not a RENT-A-CENTER, or any other store. So no returns, if you dont want it SELL IT BACK OUT!

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #58 of 143
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:59 PM
To: Raymond Tsang
Subject: Re: PPA

Hi again,

Well that maybe true but you made it quite clear that you would not accept a return. I also think I made my possition clear about using my complaint options with paypal. I checked to see if you received the package. The post office state that you received it at 10 today. I have been very clear about my limited access to the internet. I was at Starbucks and I wanted to get this awful experience over. I am sorry that you feel betrayed but think how I feel when I find out that someone from by beloved head-fi group would not even allow me to evaluate the amp before completing the purchase. The ad did not state that all sales were final nor that the product was sold as is. I am afraid you have backed me into the corner.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:54:26
To:"'Steve Beyer'" <stevebeyer@tmo.blackberry.net>
Subject: RE: PPA

I am sorry about how this is going also,

QUOTE "" I really don't think the head-fi members will either or they are not a goup of people I want to assosiate with. Look at the amp and let me know if it is defective. I am interested in you inspection. ""

You didn't even give me the chance to do that before filing the paypal complaint.

Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:46 PM

Hi Raymond,

Thankyou for the link. I will participate and share my side of the facts. I believe perfect is in the eye of the beholder. I don't find the amp perfect but if it is you should have no problem reselling it. I hope you were fair in your assesment of me in the thread. I am sorry that you are making this so impossible.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:39:29

Amp is 100% perfect

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=25

that thread is dedicated to you.

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 1:18 AM

I don't have the knowledge to say if it is defective or not but in any event I do not want to see the amp again. I am now not as excited to have this amp when you an obvious expert in the field tell me that my equipment is not good enough to use this amp. I am traking experience on this. If I go to Best Buy and purchase a CD player and I find I am not satisfied I expect to return it for a full refund. If I buy a shirt from Land's End and itjust doesn't fit right, I expect to be able to send it back and get a full refund. I would think that buying from someone on head-fi to offer equal or better service. Why do you not want to offer the same level of service. If the roles were reversed, I would want to make sure you were happy. I honestly do not understand you possition. I really don't think the head-fi members will either or they are not a goup of people I want to assosiate with. Look at the amp and let me know if it is defective. I am interested in you inspection.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:08:44

I would take it back to test, if I find any problems with it, I will agree to the refund, but If I find no problems with it, I do not see any reason to issue a refund. Does that sound reasonable. You never mentioned that fact that it could be defective. You just mentioned that it was hissing. If it is by any means defective, I will gladly issue a refund for that.

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:59 AM

I am not in a the position where I have access to carry on a head-fi discussion. I am over 2000 miles away from my computer. Look I am no expert.
For all I know the amp could be deffective after its ride. All I know is that it does not sound as good as my SR-71 or even my meager Mister X pimeta amps. If this is caused by my inferior equipment than I have no use for such a high quality amp. I am fairly sure that the others will understand that it is normal to accept and close the transaction after testing the purchase. I emailed you immediately after unpacking and trying the amp. I don't consider this buyer's remorse but rather buyer's disappointment. If you feel inclined to make this public so be it but I would think this may hurt you chances of making a sale since it will cast a doubt in the quality of the amp. I am not trying to be a jerk. I understand my rights in this transaction and I have all the faith in the world that amex will side with me. If the amp is as good a!
s you say it is and my equipment is not good enough to use this amp, then you should have confidence in sell it to someone with better equipment. I don't seem to see why you are making it such an ordeal to return it. Am I missing someting here?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:49:29

Hi I insist that you post a thread on headfi about this and see what the general consensus on this is. You will see that you are in the wrong, not me.

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:42 AM

What I see is a seller trying to take advantage of the situation and does not have enough faith in his product to sell it to someone who has an apparent better taste in equipment. I never stated that I was an expert and I did not expect you to lose money on the deal since I was willing to pay for the shipping both directions and even $25 for you trouble. I will be contacting Pay Pal in the morning after I drop off the amp in the mail. If this is such a high quality amp you shoul have no trouble listing it and having it sold by the time it arrives. Remeber you said this is the best amp I could buy for lessb than $1000. Since you are such an incredible expert, I must admit that I feel mislead. I think it would be prudent on you part to do the right thing. In an event, I am not acceptting an amp that I do not enjoy using with my meager equipment. Goodnight and think about how you have behaved in this transaction -----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:36:42

I do stand behind what I sell, but the buyer is responsible for making sure that their gear is up to par with what they buy. What I am seeing here is buyer's remorse because the buyers gear isn't up to par with the PPA, and will not work well with the high-end ppa.

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:26 AM

It is a shame that you will not stand behind what you sell. I have not met many unhonable people on head-fi. You leave me no other option but to proceed with paypal and amex complaint process. I will be shipping the amp back via mail tomorrow. You should be ashamed of your ethics.
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:04:46

Hi there is nothing wrong with the amp, so it is a done deal. The hissing you are hearing is because you are really hearing the source now. Also It is not uncommon for a PPA to hiss with ultra low highly sensitive cans, aka crap cans. The PPA is a high-end amplifier, and the ipod is not exactly a high end source. The SR-71 also has quite a roll off effect. I am sorry, I cannot refund you when there is nothing wrong with my ppa at all. If you feel unhappy about this, please do feel free to post a thread about this transaction on head-fi and see what others think about this, if the general consensus is that I should give you a refund, then I will. But at this moment, I am not ready to offer a refund on a 100% fully functional ppa.

Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 10:27 PM

Hi Raymond,

I listed to the Ppa and noticed Hissing from my ipod. When I did the SR-71 the hissing was gone. The bottom line is I am not happy with the output I am hearing.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:28:04

Hw long have you listened to the ppa before making the comparison to the sr71?

Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 10:23 AM

I am using sennheiser px100 and HD25-1. Where would you like me to ship them?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:36:01

What headhones are you using with the ppa?

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 12:52 PM

Raymond,

I have to say that I am a bit perplexed since the rason a person buys an amp is for the sound quality. I don't have the technical know how to ask for the proper opamps. I accepted you reply about this being the best amp available under $1000. I do not find this to be the case in my humble opinion.
Wouldn't be easier to re list the amp and make the custer happy? I am not asking you to lose money since I would pay shipping both ways. How about I even chip in an extra $25 for you trouble? I await you reply.
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:16:32

Hi I cannot accept a return just because you aren't happy with its sound quality. The amp is in perfect condition, and it is the sonic qualities between the opamps that you are unhappy about. I would be happy to attempt to meet your sonic needs for the cost of parts and labor.

Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 9:54 AM
To: ufokillerz@mindspring.com

I am not shure I am able to put my feelings into words but the music seems sloppy and hissy when compared to my SR-71. It is just not what I would have hoped for in a maxed PPA. Does this help?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:28:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00) To:Steve Beyer <stevebeyer@tmo.blackberry.net>

hi can you elaborate on this issue?

Sent: Nov 15, 2004 10:23 PM
To: Raymond Tsang <ufokillerz@mindspring.com>

Hi Raymond,

I received you package today but I am not that impresses with the quality of the output. I wouldb like to send it back to you and ask for a refund less shipping charges. I will await you reply before going further.

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #59 of 143
He avoided to resell as he would know that by selling the new buyer would not pay as much as he did, that is why he demanded a refund, rather then to resell it. Also by reselling it he would not only lose the shipping + insurance bout maybe another USD50 on top of that

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #60 of 143
As a fellow Head-Fi seller, I feel for you ufo. This is the type of thing that I can't stand seeing in a purchase -- if the person receives the item in perfect shape and in good time, the transaction is over, unless you said that you would accept a return due to being a bad match with the person's equipment. There is no implied return system on these types of purchases, and that's all there is to it.

Ship it back to him, and that's that. If he sends it back again, just put return to sender.

Still can't see why he can't resell it himself, especially since he was willing to lose $25 "for your trouble."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back