Should I buy a grado? (upgradeitis kicking in full notch) + REVIEW of my experiences in mid-fi
Feb 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14
Well it's that time of year again guys, I've been through many great headphones, MD2000's, HD650's, AKG K 701, AKG K 242 HD, M2's, ue700. From each experience I have learned more about my own musical tastes and sound preferences, I have also experienced what each of these has to offer.

I am looking to broaden my horizons even more, but also take a step up from the $200-$250 dollar range maybe. My budget for this upgrade will be around $500. Now I've heard a lot about the grado sound. But I digress, before that let me tell you my impressions of the headphones I've had so I can ask a similar user who has heard at least one of them and a grado what he thought.

D2000 was my adventure into hi-fi audio. The bass reproduction was what I thought was good at the time, they had slightly recessed mids which I fixed by using an EQ to pump the mids a few DB. The denons were a good headphone but they don't wow me anymore.

HD650 - This was my next purchase, with these headphones I learned the meaning of the word "textured" I quiet enjoyed the texture I could hear on mid to midbass instruments, a cello didn't sound like this on my denons. The veil and relatively dark signature and lack of detail frustrated me, which provoked me to EQ to fix the headphones problems for me, but soon I wanted more so I moved to another extreme.

AKG K 701 - With this headphone I learned the meaning of detail, clarity, and separation. The music didn't have as much body, and sometimes it felt like i was in an echo chamber, but I certainly heard more than I could hear on my previous 2 headphones, the word "muddy" do not apply in the slightest to these headphones. The bass is clear, however lacks the resonance of real bass, on some kinds of music this is great (jazz), on others it can make a bass oriented song sound quiet bad (trip hop, dubstep)

Now here I am, craving something new and different once again, I've been thinking about a grado, perhaps the rs2 or rs1 if i can afford or the sr225i to try maybe since that seems to be the sweet spot. However I would be very interested to hear people opinions on the matter, especially those who have tried at least one of the headphones on my list and can compare certain aspects of it.

My Music preferences are quiet wide, I like jazz, trip hop, down tempo, dubstep, guitar music, classical, coldplay, etc. 

Anyway, thanks for reading If you got through all that, I look forward to hearing peoples experiences and opinions.

-AR

P.S Hopefully this will serve to help people who are trying to make decisions between these headphones also.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 14
If you just want to hear the differences between brands then the 225 would give you a great introduction to the Grado sound but wouldn't be a step up (just a side step) from anything you've had before.

If you can stretch your budget to the RS-1 then go for it. It sounds like you are someone who enjoys hearing what different headphones can do and the RS-1 does a lot. To me would be a step out of mid-fi and towards the top tier of dynamic 'phones. Some on here would say the RS-1 won't suit your taste in music as well as it would someone who likes rock/metal, but I find the Grado sound works well with most genres of music.

I sort-of understand where you are coming from - I would love to have some Audio-Technica AD700's but I know I wouldn't use them with the other headphones I've got available - so ask yourself honestly: how much will you use another set of mid-level cans? You've done the reading so should have a good idea of what the Grado's will do. If that is something you'd like to experience then go for it.

On a side point, have you tried using different amps/sources? You don't list any in your post and your profile seems bare. To me you sound like a tweaker (I am too), and I feel you might enjoy trying different amps and sources? This will also let you get the best out of the 'phones you've got and any future ones you decide to try.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 14
When going to Grado audition both the RS1i and RS2i. Although many prefer the RS1 I actually preferred the immediacey and bass of the RS2i. I was quite surprised by this as I was expecting I would automatically prefer the more expensive/higher end version. It actually took quite a bit of internal debate to decide on the RS2i but the more I've lived with my choice and my music collection the more I'm sure I made the right choice for me.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 14
You are right, right now the only amp I am using is a nuforce icon mobile, however right now I am headphoneless, What sort of amp/dac recommendations do you have, also thank you very much for the information I am considering it carefully.

Any more info would be great, I want to get a well rounded perspective before I make a decision rather than rushing in and buying something like I do so many times before.

-AR

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 14
hi,
for grados, 225 is a good introduction. the 325 is not worth to go, too expensive, too close in price to the better RS2i.
so if grado, check 225 or RS2i.

else, i see you ain't got a Beyerdynamic. if you are open for that company, best to check out are the DT880 edition 600 ohm. a widely recommended can.

cya

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 14

You are right, right now the only amp I am using is a nuforce icon mobile, however right now I am headphoneless, What sort of amp/dac recommendations do you have, also thank you very much for the information I am considering it carefully.

Any more info would be great, I want to get a well rounded perspective before I make a decision rather than rushing in and buying something like I do so many times before.

-AR

I enjoy my tube little dot mkII with grado phones. I'm currently listening to grado sr60s with the stock tubes and the warmer musical presentation is very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend LD amps along with some prestige phones as they'd give you a very nice, different sound from the other phones you've mentioned that you have owned while also keeping price down. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Yeah i was definitely looking at the little dot lineup, do any of you guys have any experience with any of my headphones as i am unable to demo any of these pairs, I would love to hear a direct comparison of how grado's (especially sr225i, RS2i, and RS1i) sound in comparison. Thanks,

-AR

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 14
SR325's kick the ass of the SR225's and with my system also kick the ass of my K701's. Anyone that says the 325's are not worth the money are fools. They are clearly a step up from the 225. I will say also that the RS1 is a step or several up from the 325's. I have not heard the RS2 but I am told they are very close to the RS1.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 14
From the extensive research I did today before purchasing my sr225i, it doesn't seem so cut and dry for the 325i. The thing that turned me off from the 325i was the talks of the highs being too much, which worried me given my past experiences with Grado. Also the added weight was a concern considering the lighter sr80i caused some comfort issues. I decided I wanted the Grado sound, but the 325i were just too aggressive for me from reviews.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 14
That is a valid point. But the difference between the two is pretty evident. I spent well over an hour at my local Grado dealer A/Bing the two and the 325 was just much better. I only took that amount of time because I was trying to convince myself the SR225 was on par with the 325 so I could save a hundred bucks. In the end, I knew I would be happy settling for a lesser headphone so I sprang for the 325's and I won't ever look back. Throw a couple mods in the mix and to my ears these things are just heavenly and a tube amp really tames the highs so the brightness has never been an issue. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 14
ArmAndHammer,

I saw you owned both the 325i's and the k701's, can you give me a comparison of the sound, which you prefer, and with what genres? If possible.

Thanks, :)
-AR

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 14
I do own both. I prefer the 325's by far. The sound of the Grados is just more in your face. The highs and mids are fuller. Detail is better. The Grados have great separation but do suffer from a smaller sound stage. They feel faster than the 701's too. The 701's are not bad though. They are probably more comfortable thought the Grados are not uncomfortable. The sound is nice but perhaps a bit sterile. The bass gets low but doesn't have much impact. The Grados are not a lot better but are slightly better in bass impact. The highs and mids are smooth but not as full and can be a little sibilant sometimes. But to be fair I don't think my amp is pushing the 701's to their fullest. Perhaps with a better amp I would be getting more out of them. The 701's are very amp dependent. I do like the 701's, I just like the Grados a lot more.

The genres I listen to are folk, jazz, blues, and acoustic rock though I do enjoy some electronica and industrial metal sometimes too. I like classical as well. The Grados do classical decently but the sound stage hurts them, the 701's do a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back