[Short Review] ATH-AD700 vs. MS-1
Apr 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #48 of 64
I'm really enjoying my AD700. The sound has definitely warmed up over the ten days of listening to music 5 hours a day and burn in (using pink noise and a freq wave, started after listening in the beginning and now I'm up to about 30 hours). I'd consider an amp, but I'd need something to reduce the volume down because my comfortable listening level straight out of my MBP is at half volume, lol! I'd buy a resistor to raise impedance to do that, right? Like using the P to S chord that Ety sells for their ER4?

This is an old thread. ZOMBIE THREAD! RISES FROM THE GRAVE TO PICK YOUR BRAINS!

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #49 of 64
I recently bought MS-1 2009 version and I think they are good headphones. I do agree with what's said about MS-1 in this short review... They are really forward sounding headphones with detail sounds but all "in-your-head". Good tight bass and fast... but the problem I found was also that the mid to high range dominate in most songs and the "deep" portion of the bass tends to be forgotten a bit... MS-1's bass lights up with songs containing more bass. This isn't a problem with MS-1's bass, its only that MS-1's mid to high range dominate more with detail sounds. I have a feeling that the sound stage may be improved in this version though but I haven't own a old MS-1 for a comparison.

I was looking at AD700 but thought I'll give a shot with MS-1 2009. According to reviews I might have enjoyed AD700 little more because of the better sound stage and the good frequency separation... However, because everyone agrees that AD700 tends to be lazy in the bass department AD700 may not be the ideal.

Btw, does anyone know of a headphone set that combines goods of both MS-1 and AD700 with little more focus on the bass department, and that does not brake the bank of course?

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by procxi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, does anyone know of a headphone set that combines goods of both MS-1 and AD700 with little more focus on the bass department, and that does not brake the bank of course?

I wish I did, because that's exactly the phone I'm looking for. Preferably one also having even more refinement than both.

Might have to go up to MS-Pro, which is a considerable jump up in price. I'd like to stay under $500, but maybe they come up on the used market.

I thought the Denon D-series might do it, but I think the bass would be too overpowering (and they're closed).

The AD900 perhaps comes closest, but to me those sounded "artificial" compared to the MS-1, which I found more organic sounding.

AKG K240 or 701/2? RS-1 or 2? I just don't know what the answer is.
confused.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I did, because that's exactly the phone I'm looking for. Preferably one also having even more refinement than both.

Might have to go up to MS-Pro, which is a considerable jump up in price. I'd like to stay under $500, but maybe they come up on the used market.

I thought the Denon D-series might do it, but I think the bass would be too overpowering (and they're closed).

The AD900 perhaps comes closest, but to me those sounded "artificial" compared to the MS-1, which I found more organic sounding.

AKG K240 or 701/2? RS-1 or 2? I just don't know what the answer is.
confused.gif

I am also looking for something that combines the AD700 and MS-1 sound. I have a feeling the closest would be the MS-Pro or AD900. In what way did the AD900 sound artificial?

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evshrug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an old thread. ZOMBIE THREAD! RISES FROM THE GRAVE TO PICK YOUR BRAINS!

Wow, it surely has been a while since I posted this thread. I still have the two as my main big cans thought I have went through quite a few earbuds and IEM and auditioned some cans. By far the most enjoyable was a pair of MS2i pairing with a max'ed out, mod'ed iBasso D2 (I think). I can imagine MS-Pro being even better. Would also like to listen to the new MS-1 if I got the chance.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDucky451 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't like my AD700s that much, they're not that exciting. I hope after burn in they'll improve.

hey there!

so how did your AD700 sound after burn in (i figured i'd ask since your post was bout 3 months ago).

I have my AD700 in the burn in stage right now, and I too dont find it exciting. I'd reach for the sr80i or the A500 many times more than the AD700.

However, they do make classical music come to life!

cheers!
atsmile.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #56 of 64
I'm having trouble picking between the two :/

I just want something comfy and fullsize for relaxing, listening to music and movies.

I have PortaPros modded into a full size shell and they sound amazing, so it makes it harder for me to pay $50+ more for a set of phones that may or may not be better.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #57 of 64
Thanks for the review (from a few years back, according to the dates!). Still struggling to pick one or the other. I also want features from both, the comfort of the ATs, and the sound signature to be somehow a hybrid of both. My music tastes lean towards the MS1s, but I also listen to a lot of acoustic stuff that would benefit from the AT's greatly.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by chongy5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review (from a few years back, according to the dates!). Still struggling to pick one or the other. I also want features from both, the comfort of the ATs, and the sound signature to be somehow a hybrid of both. My music tastes lean towards the MS1s, but I also listen to a lot of acoustic stuff that would benefit from the AT's greatly.

Acoustic material sounds fantastic on the MS-1s. Not sure where you get the idea that the ATs would be better than the MS-1s at that. The MS-1s, with stock comfy pads at least, are also more comfortable long term. The ATs are huge and annoyingly rub your face and neck, they get very hot in summer, and you can't adjust the headband like you can the grado/MS-1s. I would strongly recommend MS-1 with your concerns.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acoustic material sounds fantastic on the MS-1s. Not sure where you get the idea that the ATs would be better than the MS-1s at that. The MS-1s, with stock comfy pads at least, are also more comfortable long term. The ATs are huge and annoyingly rub your face and neck, they get very hot in summer, and you can't adjust the headband like you can the grado/MS-1s. I would strongly recommend MS-1 with your concerns.

You've sold me! Now just need to make sure what problems I may have at UK Customs... I've searched quite a bit but very few people have talked about how much they had to pay in customs.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #60 of 64

Quote:
SOUND QUALITY
MS-1 is engaging, detail, tight bass, good vocal, balance in all range, nothing overwhelming. some might said MS-1 is bright, I personally find it to be OK. The only sonic quality MS-1 lacks of is soundstage. There is no sonic imaging about MS-1, every thing is 'in-your-face'. On the other hand, AD700 does not engage you into the music, but rather surround you with an unbeatable sound stage. Bass is there, but not powerful - just enough for any non-basshead. Vocal is slightly recessed, but nothing terrible. In short, MS-1 performs well with Rock&Roll recording, while AD700 really brings out the best of classical. SQ wise, AD700 is a better all around 'phone than MS-1 when considering all genre of music. However, depend on what kind of music you are into (ie. soundstage is not important), you might want to have MS-1 instead.

Ha I finally read this after getting both phones, and I'm bumping a really old thread by doing this, but I enjoyed your review.

I agree with the lack of bass, but I haven't noticed the recessed vocals as of yet.  Need to do more stress testing.  But most everything else seems very right.

Recommendations on what to listen to for hearing the recessed vocals on the AD700?  Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back