Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #346 of 975
Does it actually shut down after 5 hours or do you only get the warning tone? Got some cases when it gets to the low battery warning quite a bit prematurely.

1. So far there is issue with the EQ, it doesn't engage properly. Hope to have it fixed soon.

2. You can click on it to check for new firmware, it will give you "Currently the latest version" message for now.

3. I just push it out with my finger. Also, why is everybody taking UP5 out of the case so often? :)
It's been powering down after said amount of time. I hear it start beeping, but it doesn't seem to me that it beeps for all that long before powering down. I'll pay closer attention so I can let you know if that's going on with it. Thanks for that info.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the EQ! I thought I had read that or heard that somewhere, but your confirmation is appreciated 👍 Looking forward to the EQ being fixed. Really digging this device. It's been amazing in my travels.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #347 of 975
Figured out this will also pair to a separate bluetooth dongle I own. I was just experimenting on a Delta flight and I was able to plug that module into the headrest screen via 3.5mm, sync it to the UP5 and listen to movies without officially being connected to the seat in front of me. Not to mention how much it actually improves the volume so you can hear what's going on in the movie/show. Won't be running LDAC haha, but it's pretty nice to not have to unplug if anyone is trying to get by you.....or stretching to far and having the headset come unplugged and go right in your drink (not that I'd know anything about that)

Also, I didn't see this little bit of info anywhere either. On a Samsung phone, if you hold the power button down momentarily, not long enough to shut it off, it will pull up Bixby. I don't know if it will pull up any other voice assistant product though and maybe there is another way to use that feature that I'm unaware of. I stumbled on that by chance. That doesn't mean it hasn't been mentioned before though and I just missed it somewhere. I don't know if that matters to anyone honestly, but its all about learning what these new devices can do. Hope it's helpful for someone down the road.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #348 of 975
Thanks a lot for your replies! :)

1. So far there is issue with the EQ, it doesn't engage properly. Hope to have it fixed soon.

Ok, but wouldn`t it make much more sense to only release something when it is ready to work properly? For example only include functions in the app that work without problems and then step by step add new working functions with new versions of the app (instead of always repairing stuff "in front of the eyes of the customer")? . I have asked myself often why some companies release stuff that is not ready yet (same with Fiio, Hifiman etc). From my point of view (as a customer) this only throws a bad light on a company. Sorry for asking this question, please see it as an honest feedback to an otherwise great product!

2. You can click on it to check for new firmware, it will give you "Currently the latest version" message for now.

Ok, but where exactly? Click on what icon in which menu? I still can`t find it?

3. I just push it out with my finger. Also, why is everybody taking UP5 out of the case so often? :)

Could you really push your finger completely through that small hole on the bottom? I can`t, my fingers, even the small one, are simply too big. I can only push my small finger about 1cm in there. And then there is also this problem with the side button that needs to be pushed while pushing the unit further. It`s really tricky....and I don`t seem to be the only one.

There are several reasons to take off the case. The first one was mentioned already: If you sometimes use the UP5 as a USB dac, the unit is not laying flat on the table. The second is that with the case on it gets a lot bulkier. So if I want to put it into a little transport box that I usually use together with my earphones, it only fits without the case. But then again, there are other occasions when I want to leave it in the case....so it would be helpful to be able to easily take it out.
But generally speaking, I like the idea of a leather (pleather) case a lot, better than a plastic case - so that is great!

:o2smile:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #349 of 975
Ok, but wouldn`t it make much more sense to only release something when it is ready to work properly? For example only include functions in the app that work without problems and then step by step add new working functions with new versions of the app (instead of always repairing stuff "in front of the eyes of the customer")? . I have asked myself often why some companies release stuff that is not ready yet (same with Fiio, Hifiman etc). From my point of view (as a customer) this only throws a bad light on a company. Sorry for asking this question, please see it as an honest feedback to an otherwise great product!

Because it is kinda common knowledge among software developer that bug catching is generally costly on manpower as well as time consuming. So the software world usually start releasing product if it can achieve roughly 60% designed functionality and the rest is left for bugfixing. By the time you reaches 80%, it is time release the next product. Nothing is ever going to reach 100%, not if you want to keep the company profitable.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #350 of 975
Because it is kinda common knowledge among software developer that bug catching is generally costly on manpower as well as time consuming. So the software world usually start releasing product if it can achieve roughly 60% designed functionality and the rest is left for bugfixing. By the time you reaches 80%, it is time release the next product. Nothing is ever going to reach 100%, not if you want to keep the company profitable.
I understand well what you are saying! :beerchug: But I feel this is not necessarily a contradiction to what I say! The point is, that the bug fixing could be done behind "closed doors". Instead of releasing an EQ with only half of its functions working, Shanling could start to release an EQ with only (working) presets.... and lock the "custom" function for the user until it works. Like this, the user won`t have any bad experience and you have the same time for fixing the bugs...

Second is, that there are some profitable companies that do NOT work with these crazy fast release cycles - some of them are well known brands with very reliable products that sell well. But certainly It might also be a question of markets. While some markets (like China apparently) seem to demand these quick releases, some don`t. For example, to sell more units in Europe, I am pretty convinced many customers would prefer reliability over quick release....

By the way, may I ask a technical question to the ones who know: Does the UP5 use a different EQ implementation than former releases like the UP4 or UP3 (I have never owned a Shanling product before, so I honestly don`t know)? So it needs to be developed newly for the UP5?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #351 of 975
By the way, may I ask a technical question: Does the UP5 use a different EQ implementation than former releases like the UP4 or UP3 (I have never owned a Shanling product before, so I honestly don`t know)? So it needs to be developed newly for the UP5?

UP2 and UP4 are CSR8675 based. It is an old chip so the SDK is pretty completed. The problem with CSR8675 is that it is limited in processing power. That is why most CSR8675 based Bluetooth adapter either don't offer EQ or offer very limited EQ. Processing power not as much a problem on the QCC5120 in UP5, but QCC5120 is a fairly new chip so the SDK is mostly incomplete and required the manufacturer to implement their own code.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #352 of 975
hi there, just purchase the shanling up5 today, i want to ask is it safe to charge this with redmi note 9 pro charger?
here is the spec of the charger

• Model: MDY-11-EZ
  • Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz,0.7A
  • Output: 5.0V~3.0A (15W) / 9.0V~3.0A (27W) / 12.0V~2.25A (27W) / 20.0V~1.35A (27W) / 11.0V~3.0A (33W), Max 33.0W.
thankyou in advance, also will do review of this receiver soon on my youtube channel (Indonesian) and text version on headfi

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #353 of 975
hi there, just purchase the shanling up5 today, i want to ask is it safe to charge this with redmi note 9 pro charger?
here is the spec of the charger

• Model: MDY-11-EZ
  • Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz,0.7A
  • Output: 5.0V~3.0A (15W) / 9.0V~3.0A (27W) / 12.0V~2.25A (27W) / 20.0V~1.35A (27W) / 11.0V~3.0A (33W), Max 33.0W.
thankyou in advance, also will do review of this receiver soon on my youtube channel (Indonesian) and text version on headfi
It's recommended to use a 5 volt charger nothing stronger

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #355 of 975
Quick question.. firmware update via OTA got that .. I saw somewhere u need windows to update usb.. is there a utility for mac. Deciding between this or ifi go blu.. thanks

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #356 of 975
I think I read somewhere within this thread answers to both of your questions, but not 100%. I wish I could remember exactly where. I think Shanling answered it though. I just mainly run mine on bluetooth, but there are some members here that will most likely have those answers. (found it, first page of thread)

This UP5 is a pretty slick little device and I'm not even using it to it fullest potential. Wish battery life was a little closer to advertised, but there are alot of variables to that, I get it. But still. There's a few unfinished bits in the software eq, but they've stated here that they are working on it and it will be a welcomed. Hopefully it performs well. Everything else about this unit performs well though(battery life....ehhh), at least for me. I'm doing some monitoring off how fast it dies compared to its beep before it dies. But all in all, still a solid device.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #357 of 975
Does UP5 support no charging mode when I use it as an DAC for my laptop?

Yes, charging can be turned on and off using the buttons and menu on the player. The setting is also remembered after a power cycle. It will still charge if the device is turned completely off and connected to a charger.

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #358 of 975
Does it actually shut down after 5 hours or do you only get the warning tone? Got some cases when it gets to the low battery warning quite a bit prematurely.

It seems so easy for you to push it out with your finger.

Can you record a video and show us how you do that ? It could be helpful for us .

Thanks

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #359 of 975
hey, is it just my unit or the included leather case and up5 is super easy to slide in and out? i almost drop my UP5 from the leather case to concrete floor today :fearful:, luckily the volume knob got stuck on the leather case so it doesnt actually drop to the floor :scream:

edit:

LOL i just read the previous page, while others having difficulties removing the leather case, mine seems to be super easy to slide in and out, inconsistency on the QC side i guess?
myself 100% prefer the leather case to be tight rather than loose like mine

i wonder what @Shanling going to say on this.. extra case for every up5 owner? lol :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #360 of 975
The leather case is tight on mine, a bit challenging to remove but I can do it just fine with my finger. Though, the clip... is rather loose. There is no way I could clip it to my belt and expect it to stay, a slight twist will undone the clip and... well, free fall. It doesn't happen to me yet since I don't trust it, but it has undone many times while I'm sitting, so obviously I won't walk around with it clipped. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back