Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #436 of 584
I posted here before Christmas looking for help replacing an iPod classic, and got some helpful feedback. I am happy to report that I now own a Q1!

I am really impressed so far! Really think Apple missed a trick not continuing to develop the iPod into something like the Q1. The UI really works well, it looks nice, I have found it easy to learn, the touchscreen is responsive and precise - scrolling through hundreds of items is a charm and there is no lag at all. Having seen how ugly and clunky the UI of some of the cheaper DAPs looked in youtube reviews I was really worried about this, but turns out Shanling have done a good job here.

Screen quality is great, loving how sharp the album art looks now.

Synchronising the Q1 with my MusicBee library went smoothly (I rec MusicBee highly if anyone cares. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I can't compare the sound quality with other DAPs, and I am certainly not going to win any audiophile of the year awards, but there is quite a clear difference in the crispness and clarity of the music on this device compared with my old iPod. Quite startled, I wasn't sure if I would notice any difference. (Using 320kbps MP3s.)

Thanks to everyone that replied to my first post. Even just knowing there is an active forum where users and the manufacturer post was a big comfort before buying.

PS I imported it into the UK from China using HiFiGo.com. I completely recommend them. Shipping was $10 and it arrived at my house 9 days after ordering; they handled whatever customs stuff needed to happen themselves. They are legit!
Glad someone stopped by to report a good experience! Musicbee is nice; I used it when I ran Windows some years ago.

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #438 of 584
Has anyone managed to get their Q1 to display lyrics? I can't get it to work.

According to the documentation they need to be put on the Q1 in .lrc files. The mp3s on my computer have their lyrics embedded in them, so I used MusicBee to automatically create .lrc files as it synchronises.

It has placed these .lrc files on the Q1's memory card with the same title as the mp3 file it corresponds to: if I use Windows Explorer to look inside a folder on the memory card I can see
01 [Track Name].lrc
01 [Track Name].mp3
02 [Track Name].lrc
02 [Track Name].mp3
etc

The Q1 however, does not recognise that there are lyrics for any of these tracks, it still says "no lyrics" when you swipe on the Now Playing screen.

I have used a different program to play these tracks (foobar) and it was able to display the correct lyrics; if I deleted the .lrc file it couldn't do this. Thus proving that the .lrc files have been correctly created and everything should be working.

I'm a bit stuck now. Why can the Q1 not use them?

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #439 of 584
Slightly relevant, has Shanling considered releasing MTouch OS under a free/libre software license? There are many quirks that the community can help fix, especially when I know that many programmers including embedded ones owning the Q1 for example. Pine64 has followed this model and their devices (phone, watch, tablet, etc.) go out of stock every batch.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #441 of 584
Just got the Q1, does anyone has any idea which file systems are supported by the default firmware besides FAT? I'd like keep the original album name and unfortunately FAT doesn't support question mark or colon characters.

I run all my cards in exfat.

Do those characters disappear when the files and folders with them are copied to the card? Or are they replaced by spaces? Someone else had this problem with apostrophes turning into spaces and I was able to confirm it on my Q1, and my M5s, too, for that matter.

Apostrophes turning into spaces is unfortunate issue with the fonts used in our system. This is very common issue with most fonts used in China and it affects our players too.

Just got mine, wasn’t expecting the weight, kinda lowers the portability and makes it seem fragile.

The shell is solid piece of Zinc, and based on my experience over two years, it will survive way too much :D

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 16, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #442 of 584
Slightly relevant, has Shanling considered releasing MTouch OS under a free/libre software license? There are many quirks that the community can help fix, especially when I know that many programmers including embedded ones owning the Q1 for example. Pine64 has followed this model and their devices (phone, watch, tablet, etc.) go out of stock every batch.
You can take a look at the rockbox project.
They have done a port for the Shanling Q1 last year.

Feb 17, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #443 of 584
You can take a look at the rockbox project.
They have done a port for the Shanling Q1 last year.
I am aware of Rockbox, but certain missing functionalities such as USB DAC needs not be reinvented when it's already well implemented in MTouch, and it's not like the latter is useful for non-Shanling devices anyway. At the end of the day it should be about improving and warrantying long term customers' experience. If Shanling decides against that, I respect their decision, but I'd at least want to know why and if there is any misconception regarding licensing.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #445 of 584
Do those characters disappear when the files and folders with them are copied to the card? Or are they replaced by spaces? Someone else had this problem with apostrophes turning into spaces and I was able to confirm it on my Q1, and my M5s, too, for that matter.
It has been awhile since I researched this but I believe that if you use a libflac version older than 1.3.0 then it supports the apostrophe glyph that is compatible with the MTouch DAP's

From my previous post on the apostrophe issue: MediaMonkey is still using libFlac 1.2.1 at least in the free version and thus it uses the U+0027 apostrophe. So I guess you can be proactive and edit all of your tracks metadata with apostrophes in MediaMonkey.

So as long as you use an app like MediaMonkey or Sony MediaGo which I still use to listen to music they support this older libflac version so your apostrophe's glyphs will show correctly without extra spaces on your Q1 and the other MTouch DAP's. I have thousands of tracks with apostrophe's and they all display correctly on my Q1.

Not sure what other apps still use the older libflac versions. I discovered MediaMonkey supported version 1.2.1 when I used it to edit track apostrophe's and then opened the tracks in mp3tag, the Tag column shows the libflac version.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #446 of 584
It has been awhile since I researched this but I believe that if you use a libflac version older than 1.3.0 then it supports the apostrophe glyph that is compatible with the MTouch DAP's

From my previous post on the apostrophe issue: MediaMonkey is still using libFlac 1.2.1 at least in the free version and thus it uses the U+0027 apostrophe. So I guess you can be proactive and edit all of your tracks metadata with apostrophes in MediaMonkey.

So as long as you use an app like MediaMonkey or Sony MediaGo which I still use to listen to music they support this older libflac version so your apostrophe's glyphs will show correctly without extra spaces on your Q1 and the other MTouch DAP's. I have thousands of tracks with apostrophe's and they all display correctly on my Q1.

Not sure what other apps still use the older libflac versions. I discovered MediaMonkey supported version 1.2.1 when I used it to edit track apostrophe's and then opened the tracks in mp3tag, the Tag column shows the libflac version.
Sadly, in this case, that I don't have Windows or Android.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #447 of 584

Users who are viewing this thread

Back