Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Mar 2, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #451 of 584
Is the Xduoo X3ii competitive with this?

I have two xDuoo units. I love both. If you don't mind not having a touch screen.

One clear advantage the X3ii has is a dedicated line out port. With the right cable, you can connect it directly to the RCA inputs of any amplifier, without the need for another DAC. Very convenient.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #452 of 584
I have two xDuoo units. I love both. If you don't mind not having a touch screen.

One clear advantage the X3ii has is a dedicated line out port. With the right cable, you can connect it directly to the RCA inputs of any amplifier, without the need for another DAC. Very convenient.
Yeah, I love that feature. Might pick one up before they’re obsolete.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #453 of 584
I am aware of Rockbox, but certain missing functionalities such as USB DAC needs not be reinvented when it's already well implemented in MTouch, and it's not like the latter is useful for non-Shanling devices anyway. At the end of the day it should be about improving and warrantying long term customers' experience. If Shanling decides against that, I respect their decision, but I'd at least want to know why and if there is any misconception regarding licensing.
I'm the developer of the Rockbox port to the Q1. Just would like to say, in case you're interested, I'm working on porting Linux to the Q1. It isn't very exciting right now - no graphics and no audio yet - but the most difficult parts are already done. Running Rockbox on top of Linux can enable USB DAC, Bluetooth, and even WiFi-related goodies... with full control over the OS the possibilities are endless. There is actually a decent amount of interest in these features for Rockbox, but progress is slow / non-existent because there are few contributors and not a lot of hardware can do this.

I think Rockbox is still the most viable option for a community-driven firmware project, and the only one that currently exists for the Q1, as far as I know. It's very unlikely (IMHO) that Shanling will release complete, functioning sources to build a full OS, and equally importantly, provide a way to install it on the Q1.

Mar 9, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #454 of 584
Is the Q1 still one of the better devices under $200? There doesn’t seem to be a big market for budget DAP’s unfortunately so not sure if anything new is on the horizon.

I do not care about wifi, bluetooth, streaming services or any gimmicky features. I’m basically looking for something as barebones as possible with a polished interface that isn’t laggy, external storage and decent battery life.

Mar 9, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #455 of 584
Is the Q1 still one of the better devices under $200? There doesn’t seem to be a big market for budget DAP’s unfortunately so not sure if anything new is on the horizon.

I do not care about wifi, bluetooth, streaming services or any gimmicky features. I’m basically looking for something as barebones as possible with a polished interface that isn’t laggy, external storage and decent battery life.

I have both, and I think the Sony A55 is better in terms of sound. The stock A55 sound is meh, but there is a free firmware mod added by Mr Walkman (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/) that unlocks the sound and makes it more technical.

The A55 has around 30 hours battery life, BT, and the Mr Walkman mod allows 4 different sound signatures, from bright to neutralish to warm. So quite versatile if one wants to tweak the sound.

I bought 2 A55s in fact, one at $130 USD and one at $150 first hand during sales, and it has replaced my Shanling Q1 as my daily DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #456 of 584
The interface of the Q1 leaves something to be desired and is pretty laggy. Can’t argue with sound though for the price, same with battery life. It’s great to hear punchy bass and an expansive soundstage like this for $100, as well as gapless playback. I do have mine up for sale if anyone’s interested, not that there’s anything wrong with it just looking for something a bit more sleek.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #457 of 584
The interface of the Q1 leaves something to be desired and is pretty laggy. Can’t argue with sound though for the price, same with battery life. It’s great to hear punchy bass and an expansive soundstage like this for $100, as well as gapless playback. I do have mine up for sale if anyone’s interested, not that there’s anything wrong with it just looking for something a bit more sleek.
I am surprised you find the Q1 laggy! I have 12300 songs on mind and don't find it laggy at all. Do you have the latest firmware installed? I do notice operation is even smoother with the latest firmware. I demoed the A55 and found it noticeably laggier than my Q1

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #458 of 584
I have both, and I think the Sony A55 is better in terms of sound. The stock A55 sound is meh, but there is a free firmware mod added by Mr Walkman (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/) that unlocks the sound and makes it more technical.

The A55 has around 30 hours battery life, BT, and the Mr Walkman mod allows 4 different sound signatures, from bright to neutralish to warm. So quite versatile if one wants to tweak the sound.

I bought 2 A55s in fact, one at $130 USD and one at $150 first hand during sales, and it has replaced my Shanling Q1 as my daily DAP.
I agree with your assessment of the A55 stock sound and the better sound quality of the Q1 has kept me from investing in an A55. Some people don't like the Q1 UI but I have not issues with it, I love the simplicity, I just turn it on and press play. Being in my 50's I really like the bold fonts Shanling is using on the Q1. I have no problem reading the text despite the small screen size even outside. I found the A55 screen with it's much smaller fonts harder to read and I am sure it would be even harder outside.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #459 of 584
I'm the developer of the Rockbox port to the Q1. Just would like to say, in case you're interested, I'm working on porting Linux to the Q1. It isn't very exciting right now - no graphics and no audio yet - but the most difficult parts are already done. Running Rockbox on top of Linux can enable USB DAC, Bluetooth, and even WiFi-related goodies... with full control over the OS the possibilities are endless. There is actually a decent amount of interest in these features for Rockbox, but progress is slow / non-existent because there are few contributors and not a lot of hardware can do this.

I think Rockbox is still the most viable option for a community-driven firmware project, and the only one that currently exists for the Q1, as far as I know. It's very unlikely (IMHO) that Shanling will release complete, functioning sources to build a full OS, and equally importantly, provide a way to install it on the Q1.
I am interested, this sounds promising! Could you please point me to the instructions to try it out? I might be able to give a hand as well.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #460 of 584
I am surprised you find the Q1 laggy! I have 12300 songs on mind and don't find it laggy at all. Do you have the latest firmware installed? I do notice operation is even smoother with the latest firmware. I demoed the A55 and found it noticeably laggier than my Q1
I did buy mine used and haven’t checked the firmware, thanks for the heads up.

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #461 of 584
I am interested, this sounds promising! Could you please point me to the instructions to try it out? I might be able to give a hand as well.
There's a thread on the Rockbox forums and mostly complete build instructions on my github repo. The only thing that's missing from the build instructions is how to build the bootloader: you need to clone the Rockbox repo and apply this patch manually (if you've not used Gerrit before, click the "Download" button that's right above the diffstat). If the patch says merged, it's already in the repo, there's no need to manually apply it.Then follow the development guide to get your build environment set up and compile the Q1 bootloader. You then need to compile "jztool" found in utils/jztool, you can use that to either flash the bootloader or just temporarily load it. Either way is good enough for running Linux.

Unfortunately the documentation is kind of poor and all over the place. If you get stuck just ask on the forums or thru IRC on #rockbox on liberachat. Although I'm not on IRC regularly I do read the logs.

Good luck! And if you do have the time to lend a hand, that would be very welcome.

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #462 of 584
There's a thread on the Rockbox forums and mostly complete build instructions on my github repo. The only thing that's missing from the build instructions is how to build the bootloader: you need to clone the Rockbox repo and apply this patch manually (if you've not used Gerrit before, click the "Download" button that's right above the diffstat). If the patch says merged, it's already in the repo, there's no need to manually apply it.Then follow the development guide to get your build environment set up and compile the Q1 bootloader. You then need to compile "jztool" found in utils/jztool, you can use that to either flash the bootloader or just temporarily load it. Either way is good enough for running Linux.

Unfortunately the documentation is kind of poor and all over the place. If you get stuck just ask on the forums or thru IRC on #rockbox on liberachat. Although I'm not on IRC regularly I do read the logs.

Good luck! And if you do have the time to lend a hand, that would be very welcome.
I love it when people try to improve on the DAP firmware like you and MrWalkman but in this case I am not exactly sure what benefits all of this effort will be? I mean the Q1 is a basic DAP and it does everything pretty well. For me it has all the features in the stock firmware already and I have used pretty much every feature at one point or another.

What features are you adding or looking to add that will make the Q1 better? I am not above trying third party firmware especially now that my warranty has expired but this sounds like alot of work. I have built several Linux computers over the years so if you ever get to the point your could roll out the firmware like a distro I might give it a try if the features are compelling enough.

I am kind of disappointed at Shanling for the limited MTouch DAP development lately. I know they dropped the M5S and it has been over 3 years since the M2X was released and over 2 years now for the Q1. It would be great if @Shanling could provide some kind of road map for future Linux based DAP's if there will be any? If not I may pickup another Q1 to keep as a backup and then I would maybe look at playing around with your firmware on my current unit. I hope we hear something from Shanling soon.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #463 of 584
What features are you adding or looking to add that will make the Q1 better?
Not the one you quoted, but for me it's little niches such as the ability to sort e.g. by albums (folder skip is not the same thing, you can't use shuffle to jump to another random album), to use other file system or to choose the typeface. UX-wise multi-press like what done in Sxmo could also allow changing playlist ordering mode or toggling button lock.

None of these is particularly difficult to support in theory, but the licensing nature of MTouch OS does not allow one to patch it, and constantly nudging Shanling for certain features is not exactly pleasant for either side. It'd be best if they can release the OS as FOSS, plus the future maintainability when (hypothetically) the company decides to stop supporting the device or go under.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #464 of 584
I love it when people try to improve on the DAP firmware like you and MrWalkman but in this case I am not exactly sure what benefits all of this effort will be? I mean the Q1 is a basic DAP and it does everything pretty well. For me it has all the features in the stock firmware already and I have used pretty much every feature at one point or another.

What features are you adding or looking to add that will make the Q1 better? I am not above trying third party firmware especially now that my warranty has expired but this sounds like alot of work. I have built several Linux computers over the years so if you ever get to the point your could roll out the firmware like a distro I might give it a try if the features are compelling enough.

I am kind of disappointed at Shanling for the limited MTouch DAP development lately. I know they dropped the M5S and it has been over 3 years since the M2X was released and over 2 years now for the Q1. It would be great if @Shanling could provide some kind of road map for future Linux based DAP's if there will be any? If not I may pickup another Q1 to keep as a backup and then I would maybe look at playing around with your firmware on my current unit. I hope we hear something from Shanling soon.
Besides eventually adding Bluetooth support, I don't have any specific features in mind that are only possible under Linux - Rockbox already runs on the Q1 (just not under a Linux kernel) and serves my needs pretty well. Shanling's firmware is actually pretty good - before I had a Q1, I used the FiiO M3K, which is absolutely *terrible* in comparison. The M3K's buggy firmware is what motivated me to port Rockbox, and the Q1 port basically dropped out of that work "for free" since it uses the same SoC.

Running Linux to the Q1 is remarkably easy since most of the hardware is already supported. There's only a few missing pieces, so I thought it would be a neat idea to try; this is more of a fun project, than wanting to add new features. It certainly does open up possibilities for people that *do* have features in mind though. A nice side benefit is potential uses beyond the Q1 - any DAP using the same SoC as the Q1 will be a much easier potential target for Linux/Rockbox thanks to the work already done on the kernel and bootloader.

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #465 of 584

Currently we have no plans to replace Q1, at least for this year. To be honest, there isn't much that could be changed in its platform.

In other price ranges, current market is only in Android devices.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back