Shanling M9 Plus - Flagship Android player
May 18, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #121 of 420
Unfortunately I don't have the M9+, but I might have access to one next week or so. Currently I am very much addicted to DX320MAX. It is super clean, neutral and powerful. I don't even want to turn on my desktop unit. I love it with both Stealth and Expanse.
I would be interested in your M9+ and 320 max comparison when you get it!

May 18, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #122 of 420
Unfortunately I don't have the M9+, but I might have access to one next week or so. Currently I am very much addicted to DX320MAX. It is super clean, neutral and powerful. I don't even want to turn on my desktop unit. I love it with both Stealth and Expanse.

I see... so you didn't have the opportunity to give M9+ a run with the Stealth?

May 18, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #124 of 420
Amazing sound even at an exhibition environment.
IMG_20230518_122842.jpg

May 19, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #127 of 420
Received my new M9 Plus today. Upon initial boot up, I assume you must pick your language but all the options are in Chinese so it is difficult to know exactly what is happening. I guessed wrong 😑, so I now have an expensive DAP that I can’t understand and get setup. Frustrating!

Even with this initial challenge I somehow was able to get it connected to my Wi-Fi and found an AirPlay button (which was labeled in English). Was able to get it enabled in Roon so for the time being I can at least AirPlay content to it and give it a listen. Sounds good, but I’m not really “wowed” yet.

The wooden box it came in had a nice chip out of it on the back and some sort of solvent stains also on the back.
IMG_1454.jpeg

Not a huge deal but disappointing for a $3,000 DAP “unboxing experience.”

Hopefully Andrew from Musicteck can help me get the language issue sorted.

Underwhelmed at the moment but I’ll just need to be patient and with any luck can post an update that the M9 Plus is great.

May 19, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #128 of 420
Received my new M9 Plus today. Upon initial boot up, I assume you must pick your language but all the options are in Chinese so it is difficult to know exactly what is happening. I guessed wrong 😑, so I now have an expensive DAP that I can’t understand and get setup. Frustrating!

Even with this initial challenge I somehow was able to get it connected to my Wi-Fi and found an AirPlay button (which was labeled in English). Was able to get it enabled in Roon so for the time being I can at least AirPlay content to it and give it a listen. Sounds good, but I’m not really “wowed” yet.

The wooden box it came in had a nice chip out of it on the back and some sort of solvent stains also on the back.
IMG_1454.jpeg

Underwhelmed at the moment but I’ll just need to be patient and with any luck can post an update that the M9 Plus is great.
You can try using the Google Translate on your mobile phone with camera to translate and change the language.

May 19, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #130 of 420

Underwhelmed at the moment but I’ll just need to be patient and with any luck can post a update that the M9 Plus is great.

IMG_1454.jpeg

I'd take issue with that box myself.

May 20, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #131 of 420
May 20, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #132 of 420
New review...

"The ultra-flagship player from the house of the "word-making champion"|Shanling M9 Plus

Who has the most flagships? Who has the most flagships? No---- just happened to have this pile in time for an update on the timeline! So it doesn't make sense to use the M9 flagship as the "boat new" flagship M9 Plus, which was released more than a year after the flagship M9, so Shanling has arranged a super flagship on top of the flagship! As to whether this super is the M9 or whoever, that's for Shan Ling to ask (although I understand the reasoning, but to start off with something, then this article must be very, very, very big)!

The real flagship must be HiFi |

I am a chronic person, especially when it comes to the so-called "flagship" class, I don't like to be the first one to grab the first one, because no matter how the product power is, the one who writes the small essay will definitely be sprayed! In fact, during the time I've been fishing, people inside Shanling have been pushing my draft, and when pushing my draft, they've been telling me over and over again how HiFi the hardware of the M9 Plus is, how HiFi it is in operation, and how awesome the four 4499EXs are when they're all working together to "fight the monster"! But this machine is really ****ing HiFi you know? The M9 Plus is really JR hot and HiFi when you touch it!

I am not a parameter party, nor am I a core-only person, I have always been the ear of the goods I did take a look at the M9 Plus this 2 AK4191EQ + 4 AK4499EX + 4 AD45253 + 2 OPA2211 + 2 MUSE8920E + 4 BUF634A configuration, no wonder so HiFi (hot), so top configuration is not The back of the M9 Plus has a rare all-metal structure, after all, metal conducts heat quickly, and the unibody structure is also more rigid!

The top and bottom have been replaced with glass so that the signal is not shielded by the metal body, which I think looks better!

The chrysalis is the second nicest thing about this player in my opinion, I remember when the M8 had that card slot cover I could only output MMP like crazy! But this time the clean glass with the clean connector and clear font is all kinds of smooth!

The knobs on the side of the M9 Plus are the best part of the design in my opinion. This is something that Mountain Spirit really likes to play around with, even on the M3U, which is a little bit on the upper end of the entry level, the knobs are very comfortable; the gold coloured knobs with the lines on the side are very comfortable, and the excellent damping with the crisp sound feedback is very stress relieving!

Having talked about what I think looks best, I'm going to start by griping about what I think is the most xx! It's the bangs, to be honest the screen on the M9 Plus is really JR good looking, listen to the song when the brain play plus support MAXXXXXXX, but you see this hole he is big and bright, off the screen can also display the time and sampling rate to tell you "I have fringes oh"!

Ouch! This packaging is good!

The M9 Plus is a good package, but it doesn't seem to be any different from the M9! The melon is not sweet anymore!

It's a long-standing tradition for Mountain Spirit to print knobs on the box, so I'm not surprised! The wooden box is very classy, and of course the large number of gold elements inside highlights the "flagship" nature of the case (please put I'm a super flagship, I'm expensive in the comments section!)

The accessories are in the "key" style, a film, a data cable and a bunch of paper, no more!

At a later stage Mountain Spirit sent a leather case for the M9 Plus, in a generous black colour, without a metal heatsink or hollow design on the back, it is said that this time because the leather case was specially chosen for its relatively thin material to improve thermal conductivity emmmmmmmmmmm.

The sound of a super flagship machine |

As a flagship player on the go with all the firepower, I was also more curious about how capable it was in terms of sound. A friend told me that the M9 Plus pushes the 109 Pro well is what stunned me, another friend told me that the M9 Plus + Inear PP8SE he listened to on the head made me a bit speechless, using the M9 Plus to drive the most frequently used plug I have on hand everyday I can actually find some groove out ......

The sound of the M9 Plus depends on who you are comparing it to, so far I remember the sound of the M6U, M7 and M8, of which I personally dislike the M7. The M9 Plus is the most appealing to my ears in terms of tuning, as it has improved the cohesiveness of the junction, but still retains the Shanling "RunFi" sound, rather than stacking up the sharpness of the peaks to emphasize its resolution. What I didn't like about the M7 was the over-emphasis on quality and the resulting digital flavour, but the M9 Plus handled this very well, emphasising the junction and rounding out the peaks and instrumental textures, which is of course one of the major drawbacks for quality fans ( (You guys do understand Shanling!) .

I can't say that the M9 Plus is a great driver, it's more that the M9 Plus has good control over most of the easy to drive big ears, and in terms of the style of sound it fits in with some of the hotter big ears at the moment! As mentioned earlier, my friend he thought the M9 Plus + MEZE 109 Pro sounded good, and if you haven't heard the kind of sharp 109 Pro driven by a high quality desktop system, then the kind of moist, sweet, slightly mushy 109 Pro driven by the M9 Plus really hits the sweet spot for many people's listening senses, such as pop vocals that are almost gender and genre neutral, and then For example, small compilations or solos for instrumental overtones, resonance and textures do all sound good, but this goodness is only if you like a slightly warmer emphasis on the musicality of the sound ......

For example, my friend who told me that the M9 Plus and the Inear PP8SE were a good match, even forced the PP8SE on me, which is not my cup of tea to be honest. I can get the feeling that the PP8SE is a bit of a "dislike" when I listen to vocals, and when I listen to instrumental music and the like, I find the knotting dislike in my face; I can see where he gets a kick out of listening to this combination, but it's just not my cup of tea!

I use the NGaudio Erebus most often, but I deliberately avoid the Eletech Laura with the M9 Plus, which has the densest midrange, and the Laura happens to be the densest midrange, so I pull out the Beataudio Cyclone! The M9 Plus + NGaudio Erebus + Beataudio Cyclone is a combination whose greatest advantage is that it complements each other, with the M9 Plus's moistness and vibrancy paired with the relativity of the latter two. With the latter two, the sound comes to life, with a touch of my favourite HuFi feeling.

The M9 Plus can bring a certain boxy taste to this double coil, and the biggest difference between single-ended and balanced is probably the soft filter turned up to the highest grade, the loose, soft, moist and transparent characteristics are indiscriminately added to all kinds of If you want to listen to a relaxing track or a track that requires special emphasis on emotional output, this single-ended M9 Plus is really available at ......

Is the sound description section for the M9 Plus like a soundstage that is a bit big but not too big this time? You'd have to say that the M9 Plus's drive is certainly fine for pushing plugs on a daily basis, but you'd be sick to dislike the HD800S hard! In terms of soundstage performance it can be considered good, but the vertical is significantly better than the horizontal. The distribution of the three frequencies is focused on the midrange, with the extension and volume at both ends of the spectrum emphasizing a comfortable one. The tone is almost always neutral and slightly warm, so I have repeatedly stressed that this machine is not intended for listening to so-called analysis. I would really recommend that you try to choose a relatively cool plug to get a good result!

The Super Flagship is not bad to use |

8+256+665 was something I didn't expect, however a closer look at the M9 with this configuration (8+256) instantly soured me again and again! So in terms of user experience is Mountain Spirit still the same Bug Spirit? In fact, as an entry-level M3U user, as well as a mid-range model M6U user, in terms of daily 90% streaming + 10% local playback experience, really did not feel too many bugs!

At the moment I'm basically syncing my library from all three Tidal/Qobuz/Apple Music apps, though of course each will be offline to local due to differences in library and relative tuning styles, so essentially I'm barely using the Mountain Spirit app itself to listen to songs anymore. The first problem is the WiFi signal, so far I've been able to get through three walls just fine, basically no network problems except for the first two days after I got it, when WiFi would somehow fail to search; in fact, after the network 0 bug, there's not much to talk about with the app, because I don't use "Net Inhibit Cloudy Music" nor I don't use QQ Music, so I didn't have any unpleasant experiences at all!

The next thing I want to talk about is power management, and it's rare that the M9 Plus does a better job than the M6U and M3U. With a medium gain, I can still have a little bit of power left over for two days.

The M9 Plus is also a true HiFi, and will have a hot state, that is, when the machine temperature is up the sound seems to be more stable. ......

Final Thoughts |

This article on the M9 Plus is actually very different from the previous ones in terms of structure and sound matching!

For a product that surpasses its old flagship, Shanling has priced it very sensibly, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the M9 Plus hardware if you have to judge it by its sound, but of course I'd discourage the extreme quality party, because this player really does emphasise the musicality at the expense of something that will get you high, or if you're used to listening to the hard JR, you'll be insecure about the hardness! (Just pretend I'm driving.) But if it's a little more moist and funky that you like, then the M9 Plus is more than up to the task.

May 20, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #134 of 420
So this is puzzling to me, I’m streaming Roon from my Nucleus core to the M9 Plus as a Roon endpoint. Because Roon sees the M9 Plus as simply an Android device/phone, it automatically changes (upsamples/downsamples) the stream to 24 bit / 48 kHz. This is a problem/issue with Roon needing to improve their software and not the M9 Plus.

Anyway my M9 Plus is displaying a sample rate of 192 kHz and not 48 kHz as I would have expected. Roon does not allow you to upsample via their DSP engine when your endpoint is an Android device (unless it is certified as “Roon Ready” - which Shanling products are not), so it is not Roon doing this. Is there some setting within the Android 10 OS that is changing the sample rate? I’m confused.
IMG_1223.png

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #135 of 420
So this is puzzling to me, I’m streaming Roon from my Nucleus core to the M9 Plus as a Roon endpoint. Because Roon sees the M9 Plus as simply an Android device/phone, it automatically changes (upsamples/downsamples) the stream to 24 bit / 48 kHz. This is a problem/issue with Roon needing to improve their software and not the M9 Plus.

Anyway my M9 Plus is displaying a sample rate of 192 kHz and not 48 kHz as I would have expected. Roon does not allow you to upsample via their DSP engine when your endpoint is an Android device (unless it is certified as “Roon Ready” - which Shanling products are not), so it is not Roon doing this. Is there some setting within the Android 10 OS that is changing the sample rate? I’m confused.
IMG_1223.png
Yes, I have also noticed that when I was testing out Roon and ARC on the M9+. But I am not complaining cos it sounds excellent regardless. :) But perhaps @Shanling is able to cast some light on this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back