Shanling M9 Plus - Flagship Android player
May 21, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #136 of 399
Thanks to @SteveK27 ‘s comments on the Prime Mode on M9+, I was curious enough to try it out last night. in Prime Mode, the M9+ exits Android Mode and shuts down all the android processes. He is indeed very correct in his observations that the background is even more black. I wanted to give it a listen because he had observed that the mids seems richer and the sound signature seemed more pithy.

I must say that I agree. I do love my vocal music. And the Prime Mode does suit this type of music so well. Especially when I am using the titanium based FitEar customs like the Titan and the DC Ti. :)

So, if you have not given thought to running the Prime Mode and giving it a listen, you should try it. It is sufficiently different to be worth a try. :)

May 22, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #138 of 399
Regarding Roon resampling streams to Android, I found this reply on the Roon community forum to a user who had an M9. Sheds some light (perhaps) on the 192 kHz sample rate displayed by the M9 Plus while streaming via the Roon remote app (not ARC, as I only use Roon on my home network).
IMG_1224.jpeg

May 23, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #139 of 399
In the case of the M8 the promotion of the modules added that more could be added in the future - was there ever a plan to add others and if so, what were they?

We had RCA and XLR module in testing, but they never went further.

Received my new M9 Plus today. Upon initial boot up, I assume you must pick your language but all the options are in Chinese so it is difficult to know exactly what is happening. I guessed wrong 😑, so I now have an expensive DAP that I can’t understand and get setup. Frustrating!

Even with this initial challenge I somehow was able to get it connected to my Wi-Fi and found an AirPlay button (which was labeled in English). Was able to get it enabled in Roon so for the time being I can at least AirPlay content to it and give it a listen. Sounds good, but I’m not really “wowed” yet.

The wooden box it came in had a nice chip out of it on the back and some sort of solvent stains also on the back.

Not a huge deal but disappointing for a $3,000 DAP “unboxing experience.”

Hopefully Andrew from Musicteck can help me get the language issue sorted.

Underwhelmed at the moment but I’ll just need to be patient and with any luck can post an update that the M9 Plus is great.

Sorry for the language, it can sometimes happen if the device is not correctly reset after QC is finished.

We have guide for it available on our website: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGwEHdJg20u38jU7fpmVqr9HaiDwHOty/view?usp=sharing

For the box, please discuss it with your local seller for options.

So this is puzzling to me, I’m streaming Roon from my Nucleus core to the M9 Plus as a Roon endpoint. Because Roon sees the M9 Plus as simply an Android device/phone, it automatically changes (upsamples/downsamples) the stream to 24 bit / 48 kHz. This is a problem/issue with Roon needing to improve their software and not the M9 Plus.

Anyway my M9 Plus is displaying a sample rate of 192 kHz and not 48 kHz as I would have expected. Roon does not allow you to upsample via their DSP engine when your endpoint is an Android device (unless it is certified as “Roon Ready” - which Shanling products are not), so it is not Roon doing this. Is there some setting within the Android 10 OS that is changing the sample rate? I’m confused.

We discussed this with software team few times. They believe this is correct way how to display it with the Roon app.
Apparently, the mismatch between 48kHz and 192kHz is due to the Roon app reporting to our system it's capable of 192kHz output, but not showing the actual one in the moment. This is why it shows 192 at default.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 25, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #140 of 399
I see... so you didn't have the opportunity to give M9+ a run with the Stealth?
I just tried it with Expanse and is really good. I received it a few minutes ago. It sounds really clean and neutral to me with Expanse.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #141 of 399
I’ve had the M9 Plus for about a week now and without keeping track I’d say I have about 20 hours of playing time on it now. It may just be my imagination, but if you’re a believer in burn-in I think the sound has improved as the player has broken in. I must admit that I wasn’t blown away at first but whether I’ve just become more acclimated to the sound or it truly has changed I can’t say for sure. Regardless I think it sounds really good.

I just gave a listen to my H7 (which is the reason I opted to go for the updated M9 in the first place) and I will say that the M9 Plus sound is an upgrade to to the H7. There is no compelling reason to keep both so I’ll likely put the H7 which is an awesome USB DAC/amp up for sale.

May 25, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #143 of 399
Enough power to drive the Expanse easily ?
My reference track. Even in high gain mode (not turbo), volume ~62 (from 100) which is my maximum comfortable listening level with Expanse, the bass really good and detailed.

May 25, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #145 of 399
Physically it is surprisingly light and easy to hold. After using the M17 for the last 1.5 years this feels feather light. :p I am surprised how good that M9+ turned out to be and how well it can drive the Expanse.From my memory, it is not as dark as the M30 I had (I had it long time ago, so maybe I don't fully remember) and has a nice sparkle.

Shortly compared it to my reference desktop, ADI-2 Pro 2/4 which is super clean and neutral. I think the midbass is slightly stronger on M9+, so it is not a table top neutral tuning but a very nice balance of fun + neutral. Another reference track I like (you can search for the live version of the album Voy) and the live feeling, clarity of the instruments, vocals etc are really nice - again with Expanse.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #147 of 399
May 25, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #149 of 399
Any comparison impressions m9 plus and fiio m17?
I didn't do much side by side comparison but M9+ is I think slightly fuller. From a HP user point of view, for something like Expanse with low impedance and low sensitivity, M9+ can keep up with M17 which wasn't something I expected. Of course M17 can provide more power but what M9+ provides is more than enough for Expanse and Stealth.

M17 is a feature rich player (dual USB ports, coax DAC mode, possibility of external power supply for more power and without battery operation, true line-outs, stand in the box, roon ready on arrival, 4 types of HP outputs that can sense HP insertion and removal, very mature software, etc etc.), for a much lower price. But it is also very heavy and not really for holding in the hand.

May 26, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #150 of 399
IMG_3067.jpg

Just landed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back