Shanling M9 Plus - Flagship Android player
May 5, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #91 of 430
Curious as to what your impressions are, especially pitted against each other :xf_cool:

IMG_9549.jpeg

I’ll be going through this candy stack and give some impressions

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #92 of 430
Some early morning listening with the FitEar Titan/Brise Yatono Ultimate. :) This song sounds superb out of the combination.

IMG_6548.jpeg

May 5, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #94 of 430
Received mine today and have been listening with the Grand Maestro. This is an excellent sounding DAP and easily my favorite Shanling to date. It’s what I was hoping the M9 was originally going to be.

IMG_4580.jpegIMG_4583.jpeg
Congrats! I think it builds on the great sound signature of the M8. And it is a good ergonomic form factor as well.

May 6, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #96 of 430
Some early morning listening with the FitEar Titan/Brise Yatono Ultimate. :) This song sounds superb out of the combination.

Have you tried it with a HP? Especially with Susvara? Background: I am perfectly happy with Susvara + 1.2W Topping G5 pairing, and don't need a ton of bass and volume to enjoy music, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is a good pairing "for me".
Received mine today and have been listening with the Grand Maestro. This is an excellent sounding DAP and easily my favorite Shanling to date. It’s what I was hoping the M9 was originally going to be.

IMG_4580.jpegIMG_4583.jpeg
It is big, wow!

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #97 of 430
Have you tried it with a HP? Especially with Susvara? Background: I am perfectly happy with Susvara + 1.2W Topping G5 pairing, and don't need a ton of bass and volume to enjoy music, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is a good pairing "for me".

It is big, wow!

It’s definitely a large DAP but it’s great to handle. If you’re used to anything like N8ii, RS8, WM1Z M2, or SP3000 then this is slightly easier to use since it weighs less than all of those.

May 6, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #98 of 430
Nope. :) I tend to listen to HPs out of desktop rigs.

May 6, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #99 of 430
It’s definitely a large DAP but it’s great to handle. If you’re used to anything like N8ii, RS8, WM1Z M2, or SP3000 then this is slightly easier to use since it weighs less than all of those.
None of them but older iterations of them. I am just looking for something easier to handle than M17, which is I guess every other DAP in the market. :p It is not to replace the M17, though. Let's see how it will drive HPs like DCA Expanse and Stealth, as I don't use IEMs.

May 6, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #100 of 430
None of them but older iterations of them. I am just looking for something easier to handle than M17, which is I guess every other DAP in the market. :p It is not to replace the M17, though. Let's see how it will drive HPs like DCA Expanse and Stealth, as I don't use IEMs.
Yeah.. Shanling does make pretty muscular DAPs. :)

May 6, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #101 of 430
Some Sunday morning listening with the FitEar Titan/Brise Yatono Ultimate. The M9 Plus continues to open up as it burns in, without losing its fundamental liquid sound character. Totally non fatiguing listening pleasure.

@Shanling That is something I have noticed, however: the Shanling music app still needs some work in terms of stability. It will stop working once a while. Next FW perhaps?

IMG_6568.jpeg

May 7, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #102 of 430
Enjoying the Final Audio PianoForte X off the Shanling M9 Plus. The late Takai san who founded Final Audio was quite unapologetic that the Pianoforte range may not be absolutely accurate. Take san’s aim was to bring back memories of music we enjoyed through old gramophone horns. Still a wonderful listen even more than a decade since I first came across them. :)

IMG_6578.jpeg

May 7, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #103 of 430
IMG_9549.jpeg

I’ll be going through this candy stack and give some impressions
Did you have a chance to compare the SP3K to M9+? Is M9+ noticeably thicker and warmer than SP3K? Especially when compared with a full sized HP so that the effect of output impedance (with very low impedance IEMs, like, 3 to 5 ohms) can be avoided.

May 7, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #104 of 430
Did you have a chance to compare the SP3K to M9+? Is M9+ noticeably thicker and warmer than SP3K? Especially when compared with a full sized HP so that the effect of output impedance (with very low impedance IEMs, like, 3 to 5 ohms) can be avoided.

I am currently burning in the SP3K (CU & SS) and the M9+. I should be able to post some updates early next week.

Out of box, the M9+ was indeed very warm and thick. However, after 10-15hrs of burn-in, it has opened up quite a fair bit and is now less thick. At this point, I will not say that the Shanling is noticeably warmer and thicker than the AK's. It does sound smoother and more anaogue than the AK's. Well, even the CU and SS SP3K sound slightly different with the SS being more reference and I hear more clarity in the mids vs the CU which has slightly more body but does not have the razor sharp note edges of the SS.

My current fav of the lot is still the 1ZM2 with it's lush mids. However, the player has couple of hundred hours on it so still too early to make any conclusions.

All listening done with my Rhapsodio Supreme 3 with Brise Yatono Ultimate 4W.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back