Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,651 of 5,808
I've gone back and forth between the Shanling player and the Hiby player playing DSDs specifically and I don't notice any SQ differences...so this is good to hear. I'll keep using the Hiby player until the Shanling app is better optimized.
To my ears, there are some SQ deterioration on non-Shanling apps (I'm using Neutron) for DSD tracks, especially with DSD 256. I hear better clarity, weight of notes, separation, and imaging on Shanling player on my limited DSD 256 collections. So I use Shanling player just for DSD files. For all the other tracks, I use Neutron as it has much better library handling (indexing, sorting, etc.).

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,652 of 5,808
To my ears, there are some SQ deterioration on non-Shanling apps (I'm using Neutron) for DSD tracks, especially with DSD 256. I hear better clarity, weight of notes, separation, and imaging on Shanling player on my limited DSD 256 collections. So I use Shanling player just for DSD files. For all the other tracks, I use Neutron as it has much better library handling (indexing, sorting, etc.).
not easy to tell, but technically it is all upto the playback program and how it DSP-algorithms are doing. Because an additional conversion is “additional”!! This could swing both ways really. However, to ask for any free program to do as well of a job as an M-Scaler is....probably a dream

For now, I recommend getting used to the learning curve of the shanling app

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,653 of 5,808
For now, I recommend getting used to the learning curve of the shanling app

It's not so much a learning curve thing it's that the player is super laggy and slow navigating through files, indexing the library, making playlists etc.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,654 of 5,808
On a first note, do you buy DAP to just plug in and listen to the hiss ? Without music ? Just kidding!
On the second note, if Fortes doesnt hiss, I don’t think campfire will. But this needs someone who heard the combo to answers for sure
Why should I listen to music when I can hear hiss :)
Just kidding. I just wanted to exaggerate it a bit. It is just because I have read many times, here on headfi, posts from people writing that they could not hear the slightest hiss with the Solaris with their equipment. I even asked once a guy about the combination with chords hugo 2 and he said that there is no hiss. But after I bought the Solaris guess what I have hard with my hugo :D

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,655 of 5,808
Not sure how sensitive OG Solaris is, but I just tried it with Solaris 2020 and I’m not detecting any hiss. There were a few times where I thought I possibly maybe heard some hiss, but I’m pretty sure it was because I was trying to hear it. The brain plays tricks, especially since I was up until 3am listening to the M8.
Thank you very much. It is more than enough for me, because the OG, my SE and the 2020 are not that different in hissing. The last thing I have to check before buying the M8 (can not find an offer anyways within Germany) is how this topic is with the new DX300 :wink:

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,656 of 5,808
Just kidding. I just wanted to exaggerate it a bit. It is just because I have read many times, here on headfi, posts from people writing that they could not hear the slightest hiss with the Solaris with their equipment. I even asked once a guy about the combination with chords hugo 2 and he said that there is no hiss. But after I bought the Solaris guess what I have hard with my hugo :D
If I were you, I would get rid of Solaris and get something else like an Odin or so LOL

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,657 of 5,808

The best pairing I've heard with Solaris by far is through the PAW S1. Super clear, just a touch of oomph and an inky black background. I'm really curious if the M8 will displace it.

If I were you, I would get rid of Solaris and get something else like an Odin or so LOL

Going from a $1500 IEM to a $3500 IEM is no small thing. I spent almost two years looking for something to top Solaris for me, going through much great gear in the process. It wasn't until I got the Elysium that I found something I preferred (I have not yet tried Odin, however). I know Solaris gets a lot of flak in some quarters but it's a super versatile IEM that is pretty hard to beat through the right source imho. YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,658 of 5,808
Line out!!! Portable source!!!
D207F1FD-B779-4452-88AE-FFC2F6275642.jpeg

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #1,664 of 5,808
Thank you very much. It is more than enough for me, because the OG, my SE and the 2020 are not that different in hissing. The last thing I have to check before buying the M8 (can not find an offer anyways within Germany) is how this topic is with the new DX300 :wink:

You can find the M8 offered in Germany: HiFi Passion Shop

I don’t know the shop too well but I recently ordered an audio adapter there. It was shipped quickly within a couple days and perfectly packaged with tracking etc all you can wish for.

Other than that I can recommend MusicTeck as a top choice. I ordered the R8 and 2 IEMs right before Christmas (ordered 23rd December evening CET) and it arrived despite the bank holidays & weekend on Monday morning Dec 28th at my place in Munich. Lightning fast dispatching and delivery through DHL Express. Andrew from MusicTeck was also very helpful and responded immediately to my emails. The Dollar/Euro conversion sealed the deal for me, it‘s quite nicely for us Euros to buy there.

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,665 of 5,808
Thank you for checking! That’s disappointing as I am EQ‘ing all of my headphones. Rules out the M8 for me, also.

I tried the R8 first which I found to be great because of the sheer power it delivers, the relatively fresh Android version and it has system-wide EQ that doesn’t work with Tidal MQA, though. And after first good impressions, I missed the option to EQ with parameters + it was either too shy in effect or it distorted. Moreover the R8 got too warm during normal use for my liking. Volume knob not my kind of thing. ebayed it after a couple days.

Then I tried the A&K SE200. I liked the concept of having a device that does nothing but music playing but they exaggerated a little bit as you can’t even install additional streaming services through the divice and have to „side load“ them through a PC. Not all versions worked for me, e.g. I had to use an 5 update iterations old Apple Music app. Ridiculous. Then it was pretty large and uncomfortable sharp on the edges so you have to use a case. System wide EQ is available but awkward to use. Wifi was bad from the first minute and died completely after 1h of usage or so. Device then unuseable, I returned it for a full refund.

I think my way to go will be my trusty and perfectly performing iPhone 11 Pro with a Qudelix 5k Dongle which gives me plenty power and the by far best EQ I have ever seen in a mobile device. Money saved for another pair of IEMs :)

I will miss the industrial design of a current DAP. But the later comes with too many sacrifices on the Software layer and still a high price.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, just had to write a little bit about my frustration on this journey :)
Glad you got sorted. For streaming there's nothing better or more advanced than a modern smartphone. A high-end DAP does sound better, even with a dongle, but if you're only using it for streaming, you probably won't notice the difference. Also, you can't EQ Tidal MQA (or any MQA). That's part of the MQA spec, not a limitation of the DAP. As soon as you EQ MQA (if your player allows it) it's no longer MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back