Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #1,636 of 5,808
Has anyone tried the Campfire Solaris with the m8?

I am searching for a new DAP to replace my loved WM1Z because it’s too much hiss in this pairing.
I really want a black background in terms of can’t hearing the slightest hiss even when not playing music.

Not sure how sensitive OG Solaris is, but I just tried it with Solaris 2020 and I’m not detecting any hiss. There were a few times where I thought I possibly maybe heard some hiss, but I’m pretty sure it was because I was trying to hear it. The brain plays tricks, especially since I was up until 3am listening to the M8.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,637 of 5,808
Not sure how sensitive OG Solaris is, but I’m not detecting any hiss with Solaris 2020.

Are you still selling your M8 or have you succumbed to its charms yet?

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,639 of 5,808
I edited my post. Note the part where I was up until 3AM with the M8. The more I listen to it...

It is quite addicting isn't it. I am really looking forward to hearing it with Solaris in particular as that IEM was my "gold standard" for years and it's the only IEM I've heard through every source I've owned. I should have a UM 3DT to plug into it on Monday too. Exciting times. Also I'm pretty sure that any hiss you get through the M8 is native to the recording and is not introduced via the player.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #1,640 of 5,808
Not sure how sensitive OG Solaris is, but I just tried it with Solaris 2020 and I’m not detecting any hiss. There were a few times where I thought I possibly maybe heard some hiss, but I’m pretty sure it was because I was trying to hear it. The brain plays tricks, especially since I was up until 3am listening to the M8.
Sometimes there are hisses within the records itself as well, but I agree that brain playing tricks is a real thing
I edited my post. Note the part where I was up until 3AM with the M8. The more I listen to it...
Are you at 450 hours or around that yet ?

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,641 of 5,808
It is quite addicting isn't it. I am really looking forward to hearing it with Solaris in particular as that IEM was my "gold standard" for years and it's the only IEM I've heard through every source I've owned. I should have a UM 3DT to plug into it on Monday too. Exciting times. Also I'm pretty sure that any hiss you get through the M8 is native to the recording and is not introduced via the player.
No hiss detected from the player and if any, hiss from the tracks has been minimal.

Sometimes there are hisses within the records itself as well, but I agree that brain playing tricks is a real thing

Are you at 450 hours or around that yet ?

Not even close, I’m barely past 30. I normally prefer to burn in as I listen, but I may change that up this time. What would you guys suggest is the “magic” hour?

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,642 of 5,808
No hiss detected from the player and if any, hiss from the tracks has been minimal.

Yup the only hiss I've heard on Ely through the M8 are on tracks that I know have hiss in them intrinsically. It's nice to hear there is no hiss through Solaris...I'm super excited to finally hear it through the M8.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,643 of 5,808
So it's been stated that the only real advantage to the Shanling app is that it natively plays DSD...what does this mean? How much SQ are you losing by playing DSD through a different app?

Edit: Also are DSD files the same as DSF?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,644 of 5,808

Not even close, I’m barely past 30. I normally prefer to burn in as I listen, but I may change that up this time. What would you guys suggest is the “magic” hour?
It stopped the big evolution after 450 hours or so, it would still slowly improve further upto 600 hours. But at 450 hours is the magical mark

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,646 of 5,808
The dsd isnt played natively its converted to pcm....

The M8 has absolutely no hiss. Whats funy is that since I got the M8 I am now annoyed to know how many tracks I got that has hiss in them LoL

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,648 of 5,808
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,650 of 5,808
Nothing, just as long as it sound good. Chords MScaler converts all DSD to PCM :wink:

I've gone back and forth between the Shanling player and the Hiby player playing DSDs specifically and I don't notice any SQ differences...so this is good to hear. I'll keep using the Hiby player until the Shanling app is better optimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back