Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Dec 26, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #5,762 of 5,808

I'm not really familiar with this, do you have any sample DSD files of this for us to test?

@Shanling pls fix tidal mqa playback. It’s still broken

Software team fixed compatibility with Tidal Max with the recent firmware update, the MQA is still unfortunately messed up by the Tidal change and we have no estimation when it might be fixed.

As @BobSmith8901 mentioned, using UAPP is possible alternative for this at current time.

gapless playback would be nice....

It definitely would be nice.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #5,763 of 5,808
I'm not really familiar with this, do you have any sample DSD files of this for us to test?

Software team fixed compatibility with Tidal Max with the recent firmware update, the MQA is still unfortunately messed up by the Tidal change and we have no estimation when it might be fixed.

As @BobSmith8901 mentioned, using UAPP is possible alternative for this at current time.

It definitely would be nice.
@Shanling i don’t wanna buy a additional app/ I bought a 1800 euro dap to play tidal. Tidal app has way more functions Dan usb audio pro . I already own the app. Pls fix the dap

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #5,764 of 5,808
I don't. I was trying to figure out whether the DAP supported it first, then I was going to use HQPlayer to resample 48kHz PCM files to DSD.

I know that resampling PCM files to DSD64 sounds remarkably good on the M8 due to bypassing the analog oversampling filter/replacing it with a digital filter, but DSD64 at 2.8224 MHz is optimized for files at 44.1/88.2 kHz. I have a lot of 48/96/192 kHz files that I'd bet will sound better if resampled to a DSD multiple of 48 kHz rather than a multiple of 44.1kHz.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #5,765 of 5,808
I don't. I was trying to figure out whether the DAP supported it first, then I was going to use HQPlayer to resample 48kHz PCM files to DSD.

I know that resampling PCM files to DSD64 sounds remarkably good on the M8 due to bypassing the analog oversampling filter/replacing it with a digital filter, but DSD64 at 2.8224 MHz is optimized for files at 44.1/88.2 kHz. I have a lot of 48/96/192 kHz files that I'd bet will sound better if resampled to a DSD multiple of 48 kHz rather than a multiple of 44.1kHz.

Hi,

Woah... I must say that personally, I would probably not be able to tell those apart...
I already struggle to differentiate 24/48 from 24/96 and, even my life would depend on it, I would not be able to tell a difference between 24/96 and 24/192.
So a difference between a 24/96 resampled to DSD : should try that to try to tell them apart !

Regards.

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #5,766 of 5,808
Hi,

Woah... I must say that personally, I would probably not be able to tell those apart...
I already struggle to differentiate 24/48 from 24/96 and, even my life would depend on it, I would not be able to tell a difference between 24/96 and 24/192.
So a difference between a 24/96 resampled to DSD : should try that to try to tell them apart !

Regards.

I am not certain that I will be able to tell the difference, either: DSD64 (2.8224 MHz = 44.1 kHz x 64) from 48/96/192 kHz PCM files already sounds great, but it bothers me that the original samples aren't being included in the new files due to the offset in sampling rates. Since I learned of the existence of DSD with 48kHz sampling rate multiples, I want to experiment to see if I can get those DSD files to sound even better.

As for telling the difference between PCM 24/96 and 24/192, I agree that it's very difficult with an oversampling DAC since everything is going to be oversampled to some much higher sampling rate anyway. The oversampling filter should have less of an impact with hi-res material, but that's about it. I suspect that with a NOS DAC, it might be easier to distinguish. In any case, my collection only has three albums that are native 24/192 (Rage Against the Machine's self titled, Otis Blue by Otis Redding, and Hidden History of the Human Race by Blood Incantation), but there are a good handful of albums that I love that are 24/48 or 24/96.

That said, on the M8, it's very easy to distinguish DSD vs PCM. The DSD files that I've made from PCM sound better than the original files in every way.

Is there any chance of the M8 getting a NOS mode in a future update? Bypassing the analog oversampling filter with DSD files has yielded enormous sonic benefits, so I wonder what this thing could do in NOS mode with native hi-res material without the oversampling filter.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #5,767 of 5,808
@Shanling

I kindly ask you to implement bit-perfect playback for Shanling and Edditct player applications when playing PCM. Obviously there is an aural difference with UAPP, which uses direct access to the DAC. This difference definitely feels like more space and reverb decay when playing through UAPP. At the same time, the Shanling application has its own bold “coloring”, but there is definitely less information on high frequencies. If there are any objections, I will specifically install the 3.5 connector and compare THD and IMD via RMAA, Arta via Motu M4 Line In. It's important for me. DSD files, on the contrary, are played well by the Shanling player application, but are not supported by the UAPP application (forced plug converter to PCM), since the player developer claims that you have not provided a solution for muffling the noise when switching DSD tracks, as is implemented well in the Shanling application.

Regarding the Shanling player - special tuning, as opposed to the bit-perfect mode of UAPP, gives a feeling of deception and artificial downgrade of sound for the generation before M9 (which are quite similar in hardware). Give us bit-perfect mode!
Regarding UAPP: Please, provide the developer with the assistance necessary to implement DSD support. I, like many other buyers, still purchase similar devices as a hardware Android platform for UAPP, due to artificial tuning in the direction of deteriorating fidelity.

Separately, a bug report on DSD files in the Shanling player: sometimes after navigating through a track after unpausing, a jump occurs for a few seconds along the track after the start of playback of a new section. Firmware version: 1.75

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #5,768 of 5,808
@Shanling

I kindly ask you to implement bit-perfect playback for Shanling and Edditct player applications when playing PCM. Obviously there is an aural difference with UAPP, which uses direct access to the DAC. This difference definitely feels like more space and reverb decay when playing through UAPP. At the same time, the Shanling application has its own bold “coloring”, but there is definitely less information on high frequencies. If there are any objections, I will specifically install the 3.5 connector and compare THD and IMD via RMAA, Arta via Motu M4 Line In. It's important for me. DSD files, on the contrary, are played well by the Shanling player application, but are not supported by the UAPP application (forced plug converter to PCM), since the player developer claims that you have not provided a solution for muffling the noise when switching DSD tracks, as is implemented well in the Shanling application.

Regarding the Shanling player - special tuning, as opposed to the bit-perfect mode of UAPP, gives a feeling of deception and artificial downgrade of sound for the generation before M9 (which are quite similar in hardware). Give us bit-perfect mode!
Regarding UAPP: Please, provide the developer with the assistance necessary to implement DSD support. I, like many other buyers, still purchase similar devices as a hardware Android platform for UAPP, due to artificial tuning in the direction of deteriorating fidelity.

Separately, a bug report on DSD files in the Shanling player: sometimes after navigating through a track after unpausing, a jump occurs for a few seconds along the track after the start of playback of a new section. Firmware version: 1.75
Hi,

I sincerely hope for you that your requests are on the "software team" list of things to do.
If it is not, you have about ZERO chances that those requests will be fulfilled in a short time.

I am asking Shanling for about a year to get in touch with the developpers of third party apps like UAPP or Neutron...
So maybe they can work things out together...
Their answer is (as a summary) : There is no need for us to do so as our app works good enough...
In other words; they want to do everything "in-house"... which implies adhering to their views of doing things.

You and me seem not to agree, but the only way we have is to stop buying Shanling devices or, for that matter, any "outdated" stuff (like Android 7 driven when we are now at Android 14 and when Android 10 and 12 brought heavy changes in the Android fundamentals).

At least for a DAP that runs Android, I consider that today's standard should be AT LEAST Android 12. That should cover the theoritical lifespan of a DAP (I'd say about 5 years).

Regards.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #5,769 of 5,808
Well, I tried, and I'm disappointed to report that the M8 does not support 48kHz DSD rates.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #5,770 of 5,808
@Shanling

According to info from our software team, the app works in bit-perfect mode with the built-in DAC or USB output. There is no additional processing for the "special tuning" you mention.

We were in contact with UAPP about this for the last time in November 2022, with some feedback from our software team. We never received any follow-up email from UAPP about the DSD Playback.

Well, I tried, and I'm disappointed to report that the M8 does not support 48kHz DSD rates.

Can you send us one file to test?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #5,771 of 5,808
According to info from our software team, the app works in bit-perfect mode with the built-in DAC or USB output. There is no additional processing for the "special tuning" you mention.

We were in contact with UAPP about this for the last time in November 2022, with some feedback from our software team. We never received any follow-up email from UAPP about the DSD Playback.

Can you send us one file to test?
@Shanling please fix the mqa tidal app

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #5,773 of 5,808
Hell, I'd be delighted if Shanling would just figure out how to get their music app to correctly sort alphabetically! Been asking for years...
Hi,

We're in the same boat my friend...
This one thing I am also asking and suggesting since about 14 months now.
And nothing...

It would not be that bad, if Shanling did not try to "force" us to use Eddict :frowning2:

Regards

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #5,774 of 5,808
@Shanling After almost 4 years of daily use, I finally dropped my M8 in a way that damaged it.

It still functions curiously, but the music quality is audibly reduced and I can hear rattling inside which I assume is either a transistor, resistor, or some other electrical component that came loose.

Since shipping back to China for repair is out of the question for me, does anybody know how to properly remove the back-plate so I can attempt to re-solder the component in its place?

If it is something more serious than that I will be sending out funeral invites.

Edit: I found out what broke. It doesn't charge when I plug it in. I guess if something had to break I'm glad it was that. Sure hope it's easy to fix though..

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #5,775 of 5,808
After almost 4 years of daily use, I finally dropped my M8 in a way that damaged it.

It still functions curiously, but the music quality is audibly reduced and I can hear rattling inside which I assume is either a transistor, resistor, or some other electrical component that came loose.

Since shipping back to China for repair is out of the question for me, does anybody know how to properly remove the back-plate so I can attempt to re-solder the component in its place?

If it is something more serious than that I will be sending out funeral invites.
I would start a dialogue with Shanling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back