Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Nov 15, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,746 of 5,808
I'm scratching my head with the Shanling Music app reporting incorrect sampling rates in DSD files.

Actually, I'm making my own DSD files with a SoX fork for experimentation purposes--seeing if bypassing the internal oversampling filter and replacing it with a 16-million tap sinc filter run by my PC yields any benefits. The general workflow is to use a 16.8 million tap sinc filter to first upsample the FLAC 44.1kHz file to WAV64 at 24bit/2822.4kHz, then convert the WAV64 to DSF. EDIT: After further investigation, the intermediate conversion to WAV64 is unnecessary and the files can be directly converted from FLAC to DSD using a single noise-shaping filter, in case anyone else is interested in trying this (github.com/mansr/sox).

Packages like mediainfo and soxi show that the files have the correct sampling rates, e.g.:

Code:
FLAX/upsampled/Heilung - Lifa                                                                                                        
▶ soxi 01.\ Opening\ Ceremony.dsf

Input File     : '01. Opening Ceremony.dsf'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 2.8224e+06
Precision      : 1-bit
Duration       : 00:00:56.87 = 160515648 samples ~ 4265.4 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 40.1M
Bit Rate       : 5.65M
Sample Encoding: 1-bit Direct Stream Digital

FLAX/upsampled/Heilung - Lifa                                                                                                        
▶ mediainfo 01.\ Opening\ Ceremony.dsf
General
Complete name                            : 01. Opening Ceremony.dsf
Format                                   : DSF
Format/Info                              : Direct Stream Digital Stream File
Format version                           : Version 1
File size                                : 38.3 MiB
Duration                                 : 56 s 872 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 5 645 kb/s

Audio
Format                                   : DSD
Format/Info                              : Direct Stream Digital
Commercial name                          : DSD64
Format settings                          : Little
Duration                                 : 56 s 872 ms
Bit rate                                 : 5 645 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 2 822 kHz
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Stream size                              : 38.3 MiB (100%)

...but when I play the files back with the Shanling Music app, I see a variety of sampling rates: one album has the correct sampling rate of 2822.4kHz, some show as 1411.2kHz, but most show up as 357.8kHz. Regardless, "DSD64" displays in the top right corner. I am using the exact same script to make all of the DSF files, and all of the albums are originally 44.1kHz. Other devices and apps recognize the files as having 2822.4kHz sampling rates, only the Shanling Music app gets this wrong.

I know it's probably silly to ask if anyone else has experienced this given the niche nature of what I'm doing, but can anyone possibly shed some light on this for me?

EDIT: I'm not sure what happened, maybe Shanling updated their app just now, because all of the files now show 2822.4kHz. Files that used to be DSD256 but are now DSD64 (I couldn't tell the difference) still show the DSD256 sampling rate of 11289.6 kHz, but the app displays DSD64 in the top right. Either way, the problem seems to have gone away.

DSD64 sounds amazing through the M8, by the way! I've converted a hundred or so of my favorite albums and am re-listening now with the M8 as a DAC > Bottlehead Crack (supermodded) > HD800 (SDR+Anax). Separation, dynamics, and resolution are all improved; instruments are more textured and sound more natural; all around cleaner and clearer sounding than the PCM versions.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #5,751 of 5,808
if you bring the player closer to your ear, you can hear a high-frequency squeak and noise.Tell me what could be?
Could this be a swollen battery?

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #5,753 of 5,808
when I connect any headphones, the sound does not go, and I hear high-frequency interference when I brought it closer to my ear.If you pull out the headphones, the interference disappears.
As you tried basic software troubleshooting(factory reset, different firmware, different apps), this might be simply hardware issue.

You can send us email at info@shanling.com for out-of-warranty repair.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #5,755 of 5,808
Can someone tell me whether the M8 supports 48k DSD sampling rates? e.g. 3,072 kHz

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #5,759 of 5,808
gapless playback would be nice....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back