Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,786 of 5,808
Got my SE back after a month on the road and plugged it into my M8 for the first time...wow...incredible pairing. Once upon a time I was searching for essentially the sound of the PAW S1 in DAP form...well the M8 is that in spades. It smooths out the upper mids/lower treble a touch and adds a hair of texture and gutterality to the low end...and a whole lot of powah.

ED877D56-0BEE-447C-83E4-9F4D0731805F.JPEG
Excellent DSD album! A must have

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,787 of 5,808
Yes I agree with that, I was hearing to the impressively good for the price sennheiser hd560s with M8 in SE and the sound is very good with power to spare, the 1Z could not do that, the power output in SE is the worst feature of the 1Z
SE on the WM1A/Z is just 60mW @16 Ohm, so no surprises. The 4.4 Pentaconn fairs better at 250mW @ 16 Ohm, I'd like to see something more in the region of
250mW @32 Ohm. The M8 is advertised as 260mW @ 32 Ohm SE & 840mW @ 32 Ohm which is decent for a portable and where Sony needs to be approaching to remain competitive.

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #1,788 of 5,808
Excellent DSD album! A must have

Yup I've tried every mastering I could find for that album and that particular one reigns supreme imho.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,790 of 5,808
Well guys I had the wm1z and M8 in my hands along side my friend brought hes favorite headphones too the mdr-z1r with real axios kimber kable too!

So I tested 1z and M8 with my Noir and mdr...
This is 2 very high end iem and headphone they are at very high resolution capable and will show easily each devices abilities.

I was right to say that M8 was amazing and so close to 1z I was so surprised when I heard the wm1z once again! It was like aaa wow the good old sound I loved, I remember you my friend 1z hehe. What is so interesting is that when I was listening to M8 all this time I felt it had 1z dna and some how sounded very close but it was all memories! And hard to judge and conclude things to 100%

Here what I found out. While M8 is so amazing so fabulous and lovely it was not able to outdo the true wm1z. Yep 1z has won again! Everything that I was throwing at both daps. The results where 1z took everything 2 steps above, how but how? I dont know it just had more resolution and more clarity while also being warm musical and thick in the sound as we know 1z for.
1z has deeper bass and more textures and resolution and clarity.

Treble is more open and more detailed with a touch of crystal clean decay like a swarovski glass zing.

Vocals are also cleaner and more resolved.

Overall 1z sound is clean resolute with higher articulated notes, more dynamic and powerful across the whole board of the frequencies!

Ok some folks keep saying 1z is unable to run bigger headphones. Well its not true. While I hooked the mdr-z1r to M8 I had to set Turbo mode and ramp the volume up to 40 I think and on 1z I was high gain and 70 to 75 volume.
Quiet frankly I was surprised to find out that 1z drove the mdr-z1r better then M8 ! Like really 1z how you do that?

So I also found the same results using the Mdr-z1r as my noirs when compared the test tracks... I did both test in local files and spotify stream from pixel 5 via usb to 1z and all was local and internal spotify for M8.

My final verdict is wm1z is still the Lord of all daps and even after what 5 years now? He is still the true ultimate king.

🐅🐾🥰

Ps: wm1z was all stock sony latest fw! Us region

I am not one to cry, but I did when I heard the Sony NW-WM1Z for the first time. It is the one player that seeps into and interfaces with your emotional being. The player's signature and sound is downright therapeutic. Thick, syrupy, resolved audio magic on-the-go or at home!

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,791 of 5,808
Well that still puts the above tier daps at 3k plus for a reason.... Not because you never heard it would mean you dont need to consider it. Yea M8 or R8 could be fine but we know the existence of sp2k and 1z... And I can get them too so why wouldnt I? They do perform on a different level so there is nothing to add they are better 😐
I am only talking about 1z and sp2k I dont really like other daps. M8 I like it too 😛

I really love my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 as well, but only since I mastered the PMEQ. My Questyle QP1R still gets a little listening time as well. You can make LPG sound like other DAPs once you get the hang of its parametric equalizer. It is really precise and well implemented. Its two second boot up and power down helps too.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,792 of 5,808
I really love my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 as well, but only since I mastered the PMEQ. My Questyle QP1R still gets a little listening time as well. You can make LPG sound like other DAPs once you get the hang of its parametric equalizer. It is really precise and well implemented. Its two second boot up and power down helps too.

So If I buy Lpgt Ti I can pmeq it to sound like 1z or M8 😅😝😝😜

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,793 of 5,808
So If I buy Lpgt Ti I can pmeq it to sound like 1z or M8 😅😝😝😜

I got my LPG so close to my NW-WM1A that it's scary. I am hanging around this thread, because ultimately I will give this player or its future iterations a try at some point.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,794 of 5,808
All this discussions about Amp/Source/players.....hurt my head. When I am bored with my large Speakers, and need some privacy with my headphones

Yamaha A-S3000, with discrete and dedicated headphones out, yes the Shanling M8 is my source and I freaking love this little player. I also have that analog VU-meters to satisfy my needs. There are big differences from M8 Vu-Meters VS real analog VU LOL!!!

Oh, did I say that all of my desktop is running a dedicated Power Outlet lines for it own ? Only the sound system by themselves :wink:....haven’t configured all the outlet to be Furutech and so on yet....

Shanling M8 is not to be underestimated!! Whether you are driving IEMS or hook it up to be analog source!!! Totally flagship and references in my words

ABA7C63E-CA5E-4E1F-AE56-0853ECF87ED7.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,795 of 5,808
All this discussions about Amp/Source/players.....hurt my head. When I am bored with my large Speakers, and need some privacy with my headphones

Yamaha A-S3000, with discrete and dedicated headphones out, yes the Shanling M8 is my source and I freaking love this little player. I also have that analog VU-meters to satisfy my needs. There are big differences from M8 Vu-Meters VS real analog VU LOL!!!

Oh, did I say that all of my desktop is running a dedicated Power Outlet lines for it own ? Only the sound system by themselves :wink:....haven’t configured all the outlet to be Furutech and so on yet....

Shanling M8 is not to be underestimated!! Whether you are driving IEMS or hook it up to be analog source!!! Totally flagship and references in my words

I do not have a home stereo or a television in my house. I would have to listen to my wife's crappy music if I did, so I am 100% portable LOL. I really don't even do desktop units because I don't like being pinned down to one given room. If the DAP doesn't do it then it doesn't get done. Any musical artists who squeak like gerbils drive me nuts. Also singers that hoot like owls drive me up a wall. I am so particular about my music and I get so aggravated when I hear songs that I think suck. I like Bandcamp a lot because you can find artists without record labels that just produce their stuff and upload it and it's really obscure and experimental.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,796 of 5,808
I do not have a home stereo or a television in my house. I would have to listen to my wife's crappy music if I did, so I am 100% portable LOL. I really don't even do desktop units because I don't like being pinned down to one given room. If the DAP doesn't do it then it doesn't get done. Any musical artists who squeak like gerbils drive me nuts. Also singers that hoot like owls drive me up a wall. I am so particular about my music and I get so aggravated when I hear songs that I think suck. I like Bandcamp a lot because you can find artists without record labels that just produce their stuff and upload it and it's really obscure and experimental.
You are lucky not to stretch it further :), just don’t be like me lol

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,797 of 5,808
You are lucky not to stretch it further :), just don’t be like me lol

I'm trying to keep myself under control LOL I really love the idea of portable audio because it's just so personal but yet there's this wonderful headfi Community out there to share it with .

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,798 of 5,808
I'm trying to keep myself under control LOL I really love the idea of portable audio because it's just so personal but yet there's this wonderful headfi Community out there to share it with .
It is very toxic, I am telling you....it will sip and slowly be absorbed under your skins while all your sanity will start leaving you and so is your money

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,799 of 5,808

ABA7C63E-CA5E-4E1F-AE56-0853ECF87ED7.jpeg

Aaaa I see you to find hd800s stock cable very good! 🤠

Oh yeaa bandcamp is very neet 80% of my music is purchased via them. They can let you redownload it infinite times and in any file format you want!

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,800 of 5,808
Aaaa I see you to find hd800s stock cable very good! 🤠

Oh yeaa bandcamp is very neet 80% of my music is purchased via them. They can let you redownload it infinite times and in any file format you want!

Support the Musicians! Big up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back