Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #1,771 of 5,808
Well that still puts the above tier daps at 3k plus for a reason.... Not because you never heard it would mean you dont need to consider it. Yea M8 or R8 could be fine but we know the existence of sp2k and 1z... And I can get them too so why wouldnt I? They do perform on a different level so there is nothing to add they are better 😐
I am only talking about 1z and sp2k I dont really like other daps. M8 I like it too 😛
Exactly, I bought the SP2K because I could. I have always been interested in hearing the Sony as well. Lotoo is another company that is upper tier priced and good, as well as LP. At these levels, none of this stuff sounds bad. It just comes down to whether the overall experience is worth the price. The R8, M8 and DX300 don't sound bad either, they are good also.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,772 of 5,808
I'm new to Shanlng products but I think the M8 really shows your engineering experience. Really loving the sound. I don't have experience with Android dev (I work in Win/Linux) but sometimes I wish I can contribute to the software side. With the right software, M8 will be at another level!

Hey @Ojisan, provided we've gone through some of the same iems, what are you pairing your M8 with?? Curious in knowing.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,773 of 5,808
Exactly, I bought the SP2K because I could. I have always been interested in hearing the Sony as well. Lotoo is another company that is upper tier priced and good, as well as LP. At these levels, none of this stuff sounds bad. It just comes down to whether the overall experience is worth the price. The R8, M8 and DX300 don't sound bad either, they are good also.

Indeed they sound very good! In fact even me who has good experience with daps and not hearing the 1z for some time I was sure that M8 sounded as equal as 1z!
Only real a/b shown the upper level of the higher tier dap. So this means folks who never heard the totl end stuff will never be bothered...

But for me 1z is simply another world of sound. I cant deny it and ignore it... As it brings more etheral and crazy strong experience with few steps ups in quality and everything.
Lets agree you also need the ToTl iem or headphones to get the full package... So it does get expensive at totl levels.
But its worth it 😃

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,774 of 5,808
Hey @Ojisan, provided we've gone through some of the same iems, what are you pairing your M8 with?? Curious in knowing.

I am probably splitting my time at MEST : IER-Z1R : Oriolus Mk2 at 40:40:20. I like Z1R with Jazz/classical, MEST with Rock/Jazz-Fusion/Pop, Mk2 when I want that extra mids timbre correctness for acoustic instruments and vocals. Not always strictly according to these genre, as a general mood sort of thing, if that makes sense :) How about your self?

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #1,775 of 5,808
I am under an emotional shock I will need some time to digest what happened yesterday.

I like the M8 a lot but 1z is the winner and you guys know me I only keep the winners...

It is hard and emotional right now for me.
When I had the 1z I bought the sp2000cu and before I sell the 1Z I had the chance to compare both many times, and the sp2000 was I clear step up from the 1z, less V shape more real and organic mids, more scale in sound, for me sp2000cu, I am saying CU always because I believe that it has to be very diferent from the SS version from what I read here, still the king, the M8 is great but still can not reach it

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,776 of 5,808
I am probably splitting my time at MEST : IER-Z1R : Oriolus Mk2 at 40:40:20. I like Z1R with Jazz/classical, MEST with Rock/Jazz-Fusion/Pop, Mk2 when I want that extra mids timbre correctness for acoustic instruments and vocals. Not always strictly according to these genre, as a general mood sort of thing, if that makes sense :) How about your self?

Lol. I'm too budget tight to go z1r. I'm still on honeymoon with the M8 and MEST (bought them within the last month).

I use the Oriolus with three other daps- Oriolus DP100(vocals), AK SR 25 (instrumentals) and the Xuelin 1969 Tube Dap (rock) . I guess I need to give the Oriolus more time with the M8...

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,777 of 5,808
Lol. I'm too budget tight to go z1r. I'm still on honeymoon with the M8 and MEST (bought them within the last month).

I use the Oriolus with three other daps- Oriolus DP100(vocals), AK SR 25 (instrumentals) and the Xuelin 1969 Tube Dap (rock) . I guess I need to give the Oriolus more time with the M8...

I imagine the MEST rocks through the M8. Based on SQ alone the M8 is an order above the 1Z imho.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,778 of 5,808

Hehe I always said sp2k cc ) well I dont know by how much sp2kcc is better over 1z or if it really is at all better in my personal book.

But I really want to try sp3k cc with 4.4 when ever that comes out...

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,779 of 5,808
Is not the 4.4 that is going to make it sound better, this time AK has to really overcome themselves to make a better sounding Dap IMO, but has I have allways said, I don't discuss tastes, I liked the dx220Max but don't loved, I loved the 1Z but once I had the sp2000cu Ioved the SP even more, and when I needed money 1Z was sold, I love the M8 because is a balanced musical and very powerfull Dap, but don't have the SP magic...

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,780 of 5,808
I imagine the MEST rocks through the M8. Based on SQ alone the M8 is an order above the 1Z imho.

Oh it's a heavenly pairing: dynamics for days. Just listening to percussive fusion with these and I know I've reached a new height in my audiophile journey. Add a bit of great layering and it's just utter bliss! 😎

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,781 of 5,808
Well guys I had the wm1z and M8 in my hands along side my friend brought hes favorite headphones too the mdr-z1r with real axios kimber kable too!

So I tested 1z and M8 with my Noir and mdr...
This is 2 very high end iem and headphone they are at very high resolution capable and will show easily each devices abilities.

I was right to say that M8 was amazing and so close to 1z I was so surprised when I heard the wm1z once again! It was like aaa wow the good old sound I loved, I remember you my friend 1z hehe. What is so interesting is that when I was listening to M8 all this time I felt it had 1z dna and some how sounded very close but it was all memories! And hard to judge and conclude things to 100%

Here what I found out. While M8 is so amazing so fabulous and lovely it was not able to outdo the true wm1z. Yep 1z has won again! Everything that I was throwing at both daps. The results where 1z took everything 2 steps above, how but how? I dont know it just had more resolution and more clarity while also being warm musical and thick in the sound as we know 1z for.
1z has deeper bass and more textures and resolution and clarity.

Treble is more open and more detailed with a touch of crystal clean decay like a swarovski glass zing.

Vocals are also cleaner and more resolved.

Overall 1z sound is clean resolute with higher articulated notes, more dynamic and powerful across the whole board of the frequencies!

Ok some folks keep saying 1z is unable to run bigger headphones. Well its not true. While I hooked the mdr-z1r to M8 I had to set Turbo mode and ramp the volume up to 40 I think and on 1z I was high gain and 70 to 75 volume.
Quiet frankly I was surprised to find out that 1z drove the mdr-z1r better then M8 ! Like really 1z how you do that?

So I also found the same results using the Mdr-z1r as my noirs when compared the test tracks... I did both test in local files and spotify stream from pixel 5 via usb to 1z and all was local and internal spotify for M8.

My final verdict is wm1z is still the Lord of all daps and even after what 5 years now? He is still the true ultimate king.

🐅🐾🥰

Ps: wm1z was all stock sony latest fw! Us region
It's a fact that the WM1A/Z is power limited, nor is about the volume it's about the ability to optimally drive the HP/IEM and it's audible. People need to be aware that the Sony players may not drive some HP/IEM optimally including Sony's own or they risk disappointment. Not to say the WM1A/Z are poor choices, owning myself nor selling. As with all you need to be aware of the devices limitations and the way to get the best out of it.

Q-6

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,783 of 5,808
It's a fact that the WM1A/Z is power limited, nor is about the volume it's about the ability to optimally drive the HP/IEM and it's audible. People need to be aware that the Sony players may not drive some HP/IEM optimally including Sony's own or they risk disappointment. Not to say the WM1A/Z are poor choices, owning myself nor selling. As with all you need to be aware of the devices limitations and the way to get the best out of it.

Q-6
Yes I agree with that, I was hearing to the impressively good for the price sennheiser hd560s with M8 in SE and the sound is very good with power to spare, the 1Z could not do that, the power output in SE is the worst feature of the 1Z

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,784 of 5,808
One thing I'm noticing more with this new FW update is that the player cuts out quite a bit...like a totally unacceptable number of times. It will just be a little pause as though the processor is trying to catch its breath. Sometimes I can make this problem go away by re-booting, other times not. Is there any fix to this or something I can do to mitigate it? It will drive me crazy in the long term.

Looking into this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,785 of 5,808
Got my SE back after a month on the road and plugged it into my M8 for the first time...wow...incredible pairing. Once upon a time I was searching for essentially the sound of the PAW S1 in DAP form...well the M8 is that in spades. It smooths out the upper mids/lower treble a touch and adds a hair of texture and gutterality to the low end...and a whole lot of powah.

ED877D56-0BEE-447C-83E4-9F4D0731805F.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back