Shanling M6 PRO - New version coming Summer 2021
May 11, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #106 of 959
DSC07118.JPG
This pairing is just awesome sauce. Gonna enjoy some stimulus tonight. I mean to say this was me spending my stimulus check. Hey gotta spend it where it counts.

Gonna let the op amps burn in a bit and see where the sound goes and I will post some impressions as I get to know the player. Thus far I am very impressed. I can already tell it is the best Shanling sound I have heard already.

May 12, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #107 of 959
I own IMR RAH and Ikko Oh-10 Buy I’d pair also full overhead HP

May 12, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #108 of 959
A few observations. I appreciate that the player does not get overly warm just slightly warm in an indoor environement. My Fiio M15 is not good to carry around due to the documented heat the player emits. Been playing music on my player since 7:30 AM this morning with 60% power drain now at 1:30PM so 8-9 hours using balanced mode sounds correct for battery use. Sounds better and better the more I listen to it.

A minor bug to report. I turn off the player and when booted up the volume is a bit high on start up. Happens every time. Does not remember the last time I had the volume like most other players do. Could use a firmware update that fixes this. If you turn on a tune it will be farily loud so this is not good for a sensitive IEMs. I had my Luna in my ears the first time I pushed play and I got a blast of music I wasnt ready for. Lol.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #109 of 959
A few observations. I appreciate that the player does not get overly warm just slightly warm in an indoor environement. My Fiio M15 is not good to carry around due to the documented heat the player emits. Been playing music on my player since 7:30 AM this morning with 60% power drain now at 1:30PM so 8-9 hours using balanced mode sounds correct for battery use. Sounds better and better the more I listen to it.

A minor bug to report. I turn off the player and when booted up the volume is a bit high on start up. Happens every time. Does not remember the last time I had the volume like most other players do. Could use a firmware update that fixes this. If you turn on a tune it will be farily loud so this is not good for a sensitive IEMs. I had my Luna in my ears the first time I pushed play and I got a blast of music I wasnt ready for. Lol.
I think you can set the default start-up volume in the settings?

May 12, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #110 of 959

Go to Settings > Audio and there you can set Boot volume level.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 13, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #111 of 959
This pairing is just awesome sauce. Gonna enjoy some stimulus tonight. I mean to say this was me spending my stimulus check. Hey gotta spend it where it counts.

Gonna let the op amps burn in a bit and see where the sound goes and I will post some impressions as I get to know the player. Thus far I am very impressed. I can already tell it is the best Shanling sound I have heard already.

So, how does it sound compared to non-pro?

May 13, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #112 of 959
Sorry, skipped the M6 for the Fiio M15 and then decided to get the M6 pro when it was announced. I just know how the M6 pro sounds like. I would imagine the non pro version will have good sonics. I havent had a Shanling dap I thought was a fail in the sonics department. Just had to get the best dap they have made thus far.

Got my Solaris on the pro today. Happy to report zero hiss in single mode. Sounds spectacular with the Solaris. Sensitive IEMs do well on the player.

May 14, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #113 of 959
Sorry, skipped the M6 for the Fiio M15 and then decided to get the M6 pro when it was announced. I just know how the M6 pro sounds like. I would imagine the non pro version will have good sonics. I havent had a Shanling dap I thought was a fail in the sonics department. Just had to get the best dap they have made thus far.

Got my Solaris on the pro today. Happy to report zero hiss in single mode. Sounds spectacular with the Solaris. Sensitive IEMs do well on the player.

m15 vs m6 pro please! :)

May 14, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #114 of 959
m15 vs m6 pro please! :)

This please! I'm looking at getting either Shanling M6 Pro, Fiio M15 or M11 pro. I use tidal, IEMs - **** st7(SHOUER EJ07 clone) with IMR PB One IEMs with planars arriving soon. Headroom to use power-hungry headphones in future would be nice but not a necessity.

I'd like to be able to use the DAP I get to also be able to do things I use my phone for (browsing lots of tabs, youtube premium, whatsapp) as I often will switch to watching video clips etc when listening to music, and would rather not have to keep switching devices to listen to. Is the shanling m6/m6 pro or the m11/pro/15 going to give a good experience multitasking like this?

I'm a little concerned m11 pro/m15 being limited to android 7 will mean lack of future app support to do this, but has a bigger screen, so maybe a better user experience for this atm.

Dsnuts - can you give your feedback on how M15 and M6 pro compare in terms of doing non-DAP things?

May 14, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #115 of 959
Here is where I am not gonna be too useful. I use DAPs for reviewing and listening to my music, pretty much only use them for their sound quality. I dont stream I dont brows the web watch videos or any of that. I have 2 high end computers and a phone for that. As far as I can tell these two are similar in UI performance. I give a slight edge to the M15 for its larger screen and speed but the Shanling is not slow by any means. M15 boots up a bit faster and has a much larger battery and lasts longer by 2-5 hours on a single charge based on how I use it of course.

By the way I tested the battery out so it does seem to corolate to what Shanling claims how long the batty lasts on the single charge. Single ended lasts longer is more silent using sensitive IEMS. 8-9 balanced. 10-12 hours single ended depent on use and type of files your playing.

Both can download apps via google play with no issue. The times I tried connecting to wifi and blutooth had no issues on either. Havent tried video or streaming yet. Been running the Shanling M6 pro with music during my time at work. It is getting a good workout. Used several of my best IEMs to test out the sonic performance. Both DAPs do well with IEMs and head phones and have ample power for more demanding cans. Tested with my Beyer DT1990 pro. Both are equally powerful so no issues there and both are dead silent using senstive IEMs.

I will tell you guys however. Fiio M15 is not really portable for two very important reasons. Even though it is about the same size physically as the Shanling M6 pro however it's weight alone will deter people from pocketing it. It has a battery double the size of the Shanling and needs a lot of current to feed the 10 op amps and AK4499 dac chips. Which leads me to the main reason why the Fiio M15 is not portable. The thing heats up it is documented that the player is using a lot of high end components the need a lot of power, hence the big battery. With summer around the corner. There is no way I would have that player in my pocket listening even walking or doing outdoor chores. No possible way. It is more of a portable stationary unit more so than actually being pocketable. The heat is there all the time be it single or balanced being worse dont matter. The cost of using the components. Which leads me to what you guys wanted to read about the SQ

Shanling M6 pro has a phenominal sound quality. Absolute best I have heard from the group however it is not quite at the M15 level sonically. Just guessing but I will assume since the M11 pros use the same dac chips the M6 pro will probably be at a more similar level to that player than the M15.

M15 has a more spacious presentation and has better dynamics, a bolder deeper bass impact with a bit wider stage. Mids have a lushness to it that makes vocals sound surreal. Treble is nuonced and is very clean. SQ of the Fiio M15 is the real deal but needs a good 100 hours plus for it to truly show how good the SQ gets.

I am not quite done with running in the Shanling M6 pro but its sonic foundation is a more neutral signature and is not quite as dynamic sounding as the Fiio M15 especially in the bass region. But you gotta remember I am comparing a player that cost almost half the cost of the Fiio flagship so it would most definitely be something if the Shanling M6 pro was at a similar level sonically.

This being said if you guys are familiar with any of the previous Shanling daps. The singature reminds me more of the Shanling M3s more so than the M5s. Which had a different tuning. Sound of the Shanling M6pro is detailed in the right way and has full on layered sound presentation that you can only get with this level of player. I would imagine this player trading punches with the more expensive AK players using the same DAC chips. The mids of the M6 pro is smooth yet very articulate. Has excellent dynamism. Music just flows. No part of the sonic performance on the dap outweighs the other parts. Very balanced and even presentation. Reference in that regard. Everything I tried on the Shanling M6 pro sounds fantastic on it so it is a singnature that is very versatile for a source.

Fiio M15 is a bit Bass biased. Shanling is more even tuned. Stage I found to be farily close as both are very wide sounding but looses out to the Fiio in depth and height of sound. Sound enjoyment I would clearly put the Shanling M6 pro right up there with my Fiio to be honest. Especailly due to the fact that I can carry this player around without worrying about heat or being too heavy. Even though I consider my Fiio M15 tops in sound quality. I will most definitley use the Shanling M6 pro more and the fact that I am not loosing out on sound quality much. Its got it's own sound profile that is as complete, energetic and refined as it is going to get for a truely portable system.

Shanling M6 pro. Highly recommended. It is solid in all fronts as far as I can tell. Will have more to say once I get into it more over time. Excuse the long arse post. Lol.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #116 of 959
Here is where I am not gonna be too useful. I use DAPs for reviewing and listening to my music, pretty much only use them for their sound quality. I dont stream I dont brows the web watch videos or any of that. I have 2 high end computers and a phone for that. As far as I can tell these two are similar in UI performance. I give a slight edge to the M15 for its larger screen and speed but the Shanling is not slow by any means. M15 boots up a bit faster and has a much larger battery and lasts longer by 2-5 hours on a single charge based on how I use it of course.

By the way I tested the battery out so it does seem to corolate to what Shanling claims how long the batty lasts on the single charge. Single ended lasts longer is more silent using sensitive IEMS. 8-9 balanced. 10-12 hours single ended depent on use and type of files your playing.

Both can download apps via google play with no issue. The times I tried connecting to wifi and blutooth had no issues on either. Havent tried video or streaming yet. Been running the Shanling M6 pro with music during my time at work. It is getting a good workout. Used several of my best IEMs to test out the sonic performance. Both DAPs do well with IEMs and head phones and have ample power for more demanding cans. Tested with my Beyer DT1990 pro. Both are equally powerful so no issues there and both are dead silent using senstive IEMs.

I will tell you guys however. Fiio M15 is not really portable for two very important reasons. Even though it is about the same size physically as the Shanling M6 pro however it's weight alone will deter people from pocketing it. It has a battery double the size of the Shanling and needs a lot of current to feed the 10 op amps and AK4499 dac chips. Which leads me to the main reason why the Fiio M15 is not portable. The thing heats up it is documented that the player is using a lot of high end components the need a lot of power, hence the big battery. With summer around the corner. There is no way I would have that player in my pocket listening even walking or doing outdoor chores. No possible way. It is more of a portable stationary unit more so than actually being pocketable. The heat is there all the time be it single or balanced being worse dont matter. The cost of using the components. Which leads me to what you guys wanted to read about the SQ

Shanling M6 pro has a phenominal sound quality. Absolute best I have heard from the group however it is not quite at the M15 level sonically. Just guessing but I will assume since the M11 pros use the same dac chips the M6 pro will probably be at a more similar level to that player than the M15.

M15 has a more spacious presentation and has better dynamics, a bolder deeper bass impact with a bit wider stage. Mids have a lushness to it that makes vocals sound surreal. Treble is nuonced and is very clean. SQ of the Fiio M15 is the real deal but needs a good 100 hours plus for it to truly show how good the SQ gets.

I am not quite done with running in the Shanling M6 pro but its sonic foundation is a more neutral signature and is not quite as dynamic sounding as the Fiio M15 especially in the bass region. But you gotta remember I am comparing a player that cost almost half the cost of the Fiio flagship so it would most definitely be something if the Shanling M6 pro was at a similar level sonically.

This being said if you guys are familiar with any of the previous Shanling daps. The singature reminds me more of the Shanling M3s more so than the M5s. Which had a different tuning. Sound of the Shanling M6pro is detailed in the right way and has full on layered sound presentation that you can only get with this level of player. I would imagine this player trading punches with the more expensive AK players using the same DAC chips. The mids of the M6 pro is smooth yet very articulate. Has excellent dynamism. Music just flows. No part of the sonic performance on the dap outweighs the other parts. Very balanced and even presentation. Reference in that regard. Everything I tried on the Shanling M6 pro sounds fantastic on it so it is a singnature that is very versatile for a source.

Fiio M15 is a bit Bass biased. Shanling is more even tuned. Stage I found to be farily close as both are very wide sounding but looses out to the Fiio in depth and height of sound. Sound enjoyment I would clearly put the Shanling M6 pro right up there with my Fiio to be honest. Especailly due to the fact that I can carry this player around without worrying about heat or being too heavy. Even though I consider my Fiio M15 tops in sound quality. I will most definitley use the Shanling M6 pro more and the fact that I am not loosing out on sound quality much. Its got it's own sound profile that is as complete, energetic and refined as it is going to get for a truely portable system.

Shanling M6 pro. Highly recommended. It is solid in all fronts as far as I can tell. Will have more to say once I get into it more over time. Excuse the long arse post. Lol.

Thanks a million for such a detailed response.

May 14, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #117 of 959
Rah k you very much @Dsnuts
I’m waiting M6 pro but FedEx is in late

May 14, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #118 of 959
Rah k you very much @Dsnuts
I’m waiting M6 pro but FedEx is in late

Give the player some time for all the components to loosen up. Even Sony has people playing music for 200 hours on their ZX300 on first boot up for a reason. I have a feeling after about a week or so of constant play it will give a good indication of how the sonics truely are. Excellent buy for certain.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #119 of 959

I hope you can also compare it with AK SR25. Since both DAP almost on the same price.

May 14, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #120 of 959
Wish I had the funds to buy all them new daps but my choices were the two brands I trusted the most. Fiio and Shanling. The only times I have heard the AK players were at Can Jam 2 years ago. So I have never owned them or plan on buying them. I am certain in due time someone will be able to compare these but it wont be from me unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back