Shanling M6 PRO - New version coming Summer 2021
Oct 20, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #946 of 959
This is noted directly in the Update notes on our website, some MQA files will not play correctly.

No need to do factory resets, this is issue between our system and Tidal app, so far no fix for it.

To provide more details on this:

With Tidal Max update in August, their app significantly changed how it delivers the data in max setting. It completely messed the previous system setup for their MQA playback. Our software team had to adjust it significantly to get the Tidal Max working again. In our testing it should now work fine with all the proper Flac Hi-Res files and MQA files that are not unfolding (play at either 44.1 or 48kHz). Unfortunately the MQA files that are unfolding (play at 384 khz, 705, etc) are playing with artifacts in sound and our software team is still working on fix for these, as they now behave differently than before the Max Update.
Thanks for the clarification.

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #947 of 959
Installed the new USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) beta 6.1.3.8, and its embedded Tidal now functions 100% on my Shanling M6 Pro 21 (running latest 1.29 FW). Apparently, among other updates to the app, the new Tidal FLAC regime seems to be fully supported.

--FLAC 16/44.1
--FLAC 24/96
--FLAC 24/192
--MQA (all bit/sample rates I can find)

All above play normally with the beta UAPP.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #948 of 959
Installed the new USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) beta 6.1.3.8, and its embedded Tidal now functions 100% on my Shanling M6 Pro 21 (running latest 1.29 FW). Apparently, among other updates to the app, the new Tidal FLAC regime seems to be fully supported.

--FLAC 16/44.1
--FLAC 24/96
--FLAC 24/192
--MQA (all bit/sample rates I can find)

All above play normally with the beta UAPP.
Hello,
Shanling M6 "21", obviously same issues, so I installed UAPP (no beta). So far running well. Would you please share your UAPP Settings - Internal audio driver, Internal Hi-Res audio, Android Audio etc? Thank you

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #949 of 959
Hello,
Shanling M6 "21", obviously same issues, so I installed UAPP (no beta). So far running well. Would you please share your UAPP Settings - Internal audio driver, Internal Hi-Res audio, Android Audio etc? Thank you
Sure, I'll list the settings I'm using, any questions let me know.

M6 Pro 21, UAPP v6.1.3.9 beta

Internal audio driver: HiRes Direct Driver
System--Stock Config, no changes
Network--Stock Config, no changes
MQA--All checked except "Scan URL..."
Internal HiRes audio--Stock Config, except Bit Perfect mode is ON and Use with Bluetooth output is checked
Android Audio--Stock Config, no changes
USB audio--Stock Config except Bit Perfect mode is ON and DSD Mode is Native DSD

No changes to the rest of the settings

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #952 of 959
Hello @Shanling ,

I did a factory reset for my M6 Pro 2021 (AKM Version) and installed the latest firmware.

Now i want to install some apps again (Tidal, Spotify) but I can not download/install any app from the apk store

When i click on download nothing happens.

The Player is only two years old now and I can´t use it anymore for streaming which is frustrating.

Do you have any idea what causes the problem?

Feb 5, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #953 of 959
Hello @Shanling ,

I did a factory reset for my M6 Pro 2021 (AKM Version) and installed the latest firmware.

Now i want to install some apps again (Tidal, Spotify) but I can not download/install any app from the apk store

When i click on download nothing happens.

The Player is only two years old now and I can´t use it anymore for streaming which is frustrating.

Do you have any idea what causes the problem?
This is a simple glitch in APkPure and can be fixed in 30 seconds:

System settings - Apps - APKPure - Storage - Clear Data

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 14, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #955 of 959
m6pro battery.jpeg

Yeah, it's the battery that's problem. not even 2 year since i buy the m6 pro, although i rarely used it (couple hour a week, sometime not even touch it for weeks). And the technician also said, some small caps also crack because pressure from the battery.
My first Post on this site and thread.

I think I have the same battery problem and have contacted Shanling re the cost of an 'out of warranty' repair. No reply to date, likely down to the Lunar New Year Holiday.

My DAP is only the m6 21 not the pro or the ultra but was still a tidy sum of money for me and it isn't 2 years since purchase and like the member who has posted above Zeguym my player doesn't get heavily used and I generally listen to a whole album rather than random tracks or playlists. So usually it's played for an Album then turned off. I behave in the digital music world largely the way I always have from the legacy of a vinyl analog era. I'd spin an Album (one side) and maybe flip it and play the other.

My player began getting rather hot in the hand and the pocket. Thinking that may be contributing to the problem I started using bluetooth more (not my preferred technique) but not having the player in hand or pocket. It made NO difference, it still got hot. I also thought that it may be worse whilst using the 4.4mm balanced output but I'm not so sure that was the case. Really I've been clutching at straws and tilting at windmills to account for this thermal problem. Sure electrical devices get warm during use, batteries discharging and recharging get warm. But this was hot... not quite enough to cook on, but on the way there, noticeably HOT!

The final couple of days prior to cessation of life, other strange things occurred a) from a low charge state around 9% it took an eternity to charge with a 1.8A charger (I'm normally not that impatient and more kind to the battery and usually use a 1~1.2A charger) Perversely even after 15hrs @ 1.8A it still only indicated an 82% charge...so I called stumps on that venture. I tried using the player ( hardwired, single ended) and it played as normal but it was as if the battery was in free-fall without a 'chute very rapid decline in charge state....couldn't even complete a Candy Dulfer Album (love that gal!) And now it's as dead as a doornail... won't boot,no LEDs at all and won't take a charge. It's a Zero sum situation currently.

Something did occur to me though, albeit a little too late...When my m6 was purchased I also purchased the swish black leather case at the same time (I generally use as much protection I can get) and it also arrived with a front and rear clear protection shields (not sure of the material they're made of ) I attached both of those and the player has lived in the leather case since purchase it's completely unblemished,unmolested... But (there's always a but!) I do wonder whether the "Protection" is adding to the thermal woes of this device by actually insulating what would ordinarily be a fairly thermally efficient heatsink in it's metal casing. That's just a guess on my part.

I still have my baby mZero still going strong after about 4yrs (I think) still on it's original battery and no Droid OS to contend with. Can't actually fathom why Shanling doesn't go it alone with an OS as it does with the m0 and other players in their range. I have only one regret with this little device I should have purchased a set of baby fingers to operate it with from the outset, otherwise it's been a little gem. You could hide this device anywhere on your body or in your body (Yep even there!) wear it as earring if you're so disposed. For a A$100 initial outlay it's a cracker! Such a shame it's 7X the cost, big brother isn't/wasn't

I'll await to hear what the approximate cost of a factory replace/repair might be and if that's reasonable I'll go in that direction, but if it's over the top, I'll crack it open myself and install a replacement battery. If that doesn't work...it'll get a single swimming lesson, with hand on heart and in the background playing ... 'Eternal Father, Strong to Save" a Nautical Hymnn for those lost at sea!

Feb 14, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #956 of 959
My M6 Pro 21 had te same problem. After 2 years of fairly heavy use the batter life began suffering so I started using it connected to power. The battery eventually heated up, puffed out and died. I found a replacement battery on Ali Express. It was an easy and cheap replacement. BUT. the battery was so heavily glued to the back panel that I scratched the paint getting it off. So I ordered a new back panel from Linsoul. I didn't re glue the the battery to the panel or the panel to the body of the dap. The clips on the back panel hold everything together fine. So, I now have a brand new M6 Pro 21 for just a few dollars, and when this battery goes, I'll replace it again. I love the M6. PRO

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #957 of 959
Thanks Howard, I'm fence sitting till Shanling let me know about a replace/repair (if needed)
I mention the repair because Zeguym reported a significant swelling of the old battery and his tech guy thought that may have exerted some pressure and cracked some caps. Pulling and replacing capacitors is beyond my pay scale! especially on such a small circuit board.

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #958 of 959
My M6 Pro 21 had te same problem. After 2 years of fairly heavy use the batter life began suffering so I started using it connected to power. The battery eventually heated up, puffed out and died. I found a replacement battery on Ali Express. It was an easy and cheap replacement. BUT. the battery was so heavily glued to the back panel that I scratched the paint getting it off. So I ordered a new back panel from Linsoul. I didn't re glue the the battery to the panel or the panel to the body of the dap. The clips on the back panel hold everything together fine. So, I now have a brand new M6 Pro 21 for just a few dollars, and when this battery goes, I'll replace it again. I love the M6. PRO
Hi Holsen, Can I please ask you? when you removed the back of your m6, did the rear panel of the device itself (not any protection that may have been added) appear to be made of metal or another material, perhaps glass or a polymer of some kind?
I ask because I was reading yet another glowing review of this device last night (still looking for answers) and the writer stated 'it had a lot of glass, front and rear'. Mine does have some protective clear covers I thought were glass but may have been a tpu. I can't actually remember what the material was but I applied both front and rear protectors myself. They were supplied with the m6 when new,perhaps by the retailer not necessarily the manufacturer.
They may not be glass and I say that because there is quite a deal of 'drag' on the facia when making selections and menu inputs.
The glass protectors on phones do seem a lot more 'slick' and slippery. Whilst my m6 on the rare occasions was actually out of it's case (usually to cool off) it was easy to grip and NOT slippery. As are many phones are, both of my old phones are more slippery than a wet fish! It's that greasy gorilla glass, very pretty yes, but so,so slippery.

I could just remove the protectors and may ultimately do that. But would prefer to leave the device 'unmolested' in the same state since it stopped functioning until I hear from the manufacturer about a battery replace and possible repair. If I do end up down the 'DIY path' I will almost certainly leave the protectors off for good, because I really do suspect them of contributing thermally to the demise of the battery and also that swank, red stitched, leather case which may, likely will also get the flick! When it comes to form over function, function is always the winner with me. More than happy to sacrifice aesthetics for thermal efficiency.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #959 of 959
To follow up on the m6 (21) overheating issues I was having...I didn't replace the battery myself, even though I was prepared to, I did order one (delivered but not used) but opted instead to return the unit to Shanling for an 'Out of Warranty' repair/replacement of battery just in case any repair(s) needed would have been outta my league.

I received it back a couple of days ago after having a battery transplant and a look around for any other damage or problem(s),fortunately none were found...It's running well now, but it still gets warm in the pocket, not as excessively so as it did pre-op.
I'm still considering removing the protective shield(s) especially on the back of the player. I very likely will do that and I'm thinking of fabricating a metal heatsink cradle to boot. I'd would prefer copper but aluminium will do for the time(s) I'm not mobile and have it in my pocket.
Still thinking about the design of the heatsink cradle but it won't be too elaborate or difficult to make. Still looking at options for a scratchfree interface between the metal of the device's case and the metal of the heatsink. Thought of some gels...meh! I'm leaning toward copper filings/chips densely mixed and pressed with an epoxy resin to bond/bind and allowed to cure with the copper heatsink blocks attached to that amalgum. It's just an idea that still needs some thought and trial prototypes as proof of concept.

During it's absence, I didn't think I'd miss my player, but I really did...so I purchased a reserve device and a new pair of cans. In case the m6 had a terminal condition. A good reason/rationalisation if you like, but also a birthday present from me,to me. Self indulgent? mmm Yes! but nothing exceeds like excess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back