Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jun 30, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #2,131 of 2,497
Regarding clicking, as other said, it's normal, it's parts of circuit getting activated. You hear it again if you pause playback for 1 minute, because when it's inactive, it turns itself off to save battery.

In balanced mode, you have twice as many parts being active inside, so yes, player gets bit warmer. What is "uncomfortable hot" is kind of hard to guess, if you would manage to measure temperature on your device, I can consult it with our engineers.
Also, software changes will not reduce amount of actual hardware working and emitting heat inside device.

We would love to, but for that we would need somebody from Spotify actually wanting to work with us on that. And since they have 100+M of users on phones, I guess they do not care at all.
"if you would manage to measure temperature on your device, I can consult it with our engineers.
Also, software changes will not reduce amount of actual hardware working and emitting heat inside device."

sadly, i dont have any method to measure the temperature of the device, unless someone would kindly lend me some flir camera to record the temperature

Jul 3, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #2,132 of 2,497
Yes i understand that “uncomfortably hot” is hard to quantify, it may probably be not as hot when used on a table or somewhere else but usually its in my pocket so it feels “uncomfortable”. I dont mind putting it in the bag but forgive me im just not used to having a music player that heats up like this. If its normal then its fine. my previous device was a sony nw f series that broke recently and it never got hot but it also isnt dual amps so... this feels like my iphone when running games with high fps.
Been a long time since i last looked for a new player, i kinda jumped in on this deciding between this and the fiio m9/m11 haha got this one because of the color (red) and its form factor.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #2,133 of 2,497
Yes i understand that “uncomfortably hot” is hard to quantify, it may probably be not as hot when used on a table or somewhere else but usually its in my pocket so it feels “uncomfortable”. I dont mind putting it in the bag but forgive me im just not used to having a music player that heats up like this. If its normal then its fine. my previous device was a sony nw f series that broke recently and it never got hot but it also isnt dual amps so... this feels like my iphone when running games with high fps.
Been a long time since i last looked for a new player, i kinda jumped in on this deciding between this and the fiio m9/m11 haha got this one because of the color (red) and its form factor.
Yeah, the heat is normal. I have a few DAPs that heat up the same way: M5s, ATC HDA-DP20 and iBasso DX120. If it bothers you too much you'll just have to do some research and find something that doesn't get hot. My Sony NW-ZX300 stays cool as a cucumber.

When I'm at home I pick up the M5s more often than anything else simply because it's deep sleep works so well - the battery lasts for ages and it wakes up instantly without having to do a cold boot.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #2,134 of 2,497
Yeah, the heat is normal. I have a few DAPs that heat up the same way: M5s, ATC HDA-DP20 and iBasso DX120. If it bothers you too much you'll just have to do some research and find something that doesn't get hot. My Sony NW-ZX300 stays cool as a cucumber.

When I'm at home I pick up the M5s more often than anything else simply because it's deep sleep works so well - the battery lasts for ages and it wakes up instantly without having to do a cold boot.
hi there, just want to ask about the sound characteristic about the zx300 compared to m5s (like more neutral / brighter / warmer) . i personally use the m5s but my friend is deciding between the m5s and zx300

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #2,135 of 2,497
hi there, just want to ask about the sound characteristic about the zx300 compared to m5s (like more neutral / brighter / warmer) . i personally use the m5s but my friend is deciding between the m5s and zx300
I find the ZX-300 to have an airier sound which is a bit weird because it also adds a tiny bump to the bass at the same time. The Sony's stage is more spacious and airier and the M5s has stronger imaging and note density.

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,138 of 2,497
I understand that the M5S is not capable of supporting DSD DoP when used as a USB DAC. I love the player but that is rather disappointing considering others like the Mojo does.

Is there any plan to fix this in a future firmware update?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2,141 of 2,497
I understand that the M5S is not capable of supporting DSD DoP when used as a USB DAC. I love the player but that is rather disappointing considering others like the Mojo does.

Is there any plan to fix this in a future firmware update?

Thank you.

Well, Mojo is dedicated DASC, for M5s it's one of extra functions.

Will check with engineers, but this might be limitation of USB implementation, not sure.

I have the same problem. It will play fine from Playlist, Album, Artist, but all songs instantly freezes. I have a 400gb car with 45GB free about 38k songs.
Anyone know if there will be a fix for this? I can still return mine

Can you please try with different card, with less files? To know if it's caused by the amount of files or if there might be some other problem.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 21, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,142 of 2,497
The issue of playing from songs and the player instantly freezing occurs definitely above 30,000 songs - as per my previous post this was verified on 4 different cards
Less than 20,000 songs appears to work fine on same card just deleting songs in excess of 20,000 - I am not sure where the cut off is
This problem was already going to be looked at -so I hope there is some one at Shanling going to investigate this issue

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #2,143 of 2,497
Well, Mojo is dedicated DASC, for M5s it's one of extra functions.

Will check with eIngineers, but this might be limitation of USB implementation, not I
The issue of playing from songs and the player instantly freezing occurs definitely above 30,000 songs - as per my previous post this was verified on 4 different cards
Less than 20,000 songs appears to work fine on same card just deleting songs in excess of 20,000 - I am not sure where the cut off is
This problem was already going to be looked at -so I hope there is some one at Shanling going to investigate this issue

I tried a card that works fine on a DX220, it's not the card. I hope you can fix it, because the M5S is probably the best sounding DAP I have tried (I have Fiio X7 mkii, Hiby R6 and Sony NWZ-X2)

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #2,144 of 2,497
I tried a card that works fine on a DX220, it's not the card. I hope you can fix it, because the M5S is probably the best sounding DAP I have tried (I have Fiio X7 mkii, Hiby R6 and Sony NWZ-X2)
Right? I've been testing CIEMs with it all night and really have to force myself to go to sleep now. I just want to keep listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back