Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player - Releasing in April 2024
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #76 of 128
While I understand the attraction of an MTouch DAP like the M5 Ultra I would have loved an M2 Ultra first. I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year we see one released. I remember back in the Q1 thread towards the end I asked if they would be coming out with another MTouch DAP with a bigger screen. The response was something like if we go for a bigger screen then android makes a better choice. Fast forward a few years and we now have an MTouch Dap with a bigger screen.

For me an M2 Ultra could have addressed all the hardware shortcomings of the M1S. Namely moving the buttons back to the side, offering a larger screen and a larger battery for better battery life. I would have been willing to overlook the MTouch OS limitations for a DAP like that assuming maybe a $329 USD price vs $229 for the M1S. The M5 Ultra should sound amazing based on the hardware and Shanling's prowess on the hardware side. But the price is simply to high for me and alot to spend given the continuing MTouch OS issues and missing features.

Right now there is a software issue with the M1S where button presses aren't registering (not sure about the specifics). Shanling is apparently working on a software fix for the problem. Things like this clearly show Shanling is still struggling on the sofware side and why I don't want to spend $799 CDN on one of their DAP's.
would be nice if any successor to the m1s would have a cyrrus logic dac setup and maybe a fully discrete class A/AB amp stage, otherwise the m1s already is the best small dap out there specially since it got the Tidal app. i love the buttons on the front tbh, as i can use them without needing to hassle in my jeans pocket. i can just click them from the outside. the only thing i wish would have been placed on the opposite side is the wheel.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #77 of 128
would be nice if any successor to the m1s would have a cyrrus logic dac setup and maybe a fully discrete class A/AB amp stage, otherwise the m1s already is the best small dap out there specially since it got the Tidal app. i love the buttons on the front tbh, as i can use them without needing to hassle in my jeans pocket. i can just click them from the outside. the only thing i wish would have been placed on the opposite side is the wheel.
I guess it depends on how small you want to go versus what you get. The Hiby R3 II isn't much bigger and cheaper and offers better streaming features. Go a little bigger still and you have the Tempotec V3 same features basically as the R3 II also for less money and still not to big vs the M1S. I love my A55 with custom firmware but once I retire I can appreciate something a little bigger with a larger screen for sure.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #81 of 128
where can I find the release notes? Has Tidal been implemented?
Tidal is scheduled for next firmware update.

For V1.9:

Optimized BT
Optimized Screen
Optimized text scrolling
Optimized Wi-Fi performance

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #82 of 128
Just received my M5 Ultra yesterday

Now pair with my Technics TZ700 and Onso 06 4.4mm

First Impression:
Mid Gain 30 is enough to drive
10% battery drop for 4.4mm Mid Gain after 90 minutes
Better to use the case as the edges are quite sharp
A bit lag when scrolling the screen
Sound signature similar to M7, soundstage a bit narrower than M7, good resolution, more neutral than H7 and M6 Ultra

To conclude in this moment, quite satisfy with this product (In terms of Price and Sound, and for me No android system is ok)
I will recommend this to the one who mainly listen to their own files.

Attachments

• 20240423_192938.jpg
    20240423_192938.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240423_192803.jpg
    20240423_192803.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240423_192850.jpg
    20240423_192850.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #83 of 128
Just received my M5 Ultra yesterday

Now pair with my Technics TZ700 and Onso 06 4.4mm

First Impression:
Mid Gain 30 is enough to drive
10% battery drop for 4.4mm Mid Gain after 90 minutes
Better to use the case as the edges are quite sharp
A bit lag when scrolling the screen
Sound signature similar to M7, soundstage a bit narrower than M7, good resolution, more neutral than H7 and M6 Ultra

To conclude in this moment, quite satisfy with this product (In terms of Price and Sound, and for me No android system is ok)
I will recommend this to the one who mainly listen to their own files.
Is it case in the box ?

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #88 of 128
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #90 of 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back