Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 11, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #766 of 2,442
A better question is if it gets hot when running in balanced for hours while in the official leather case. Because you know that a case traps the heat that would otherwise easily be transferred out from the interior.

I know for example that a FIIO M15 I have runs hot if playing for a while, and that's even outside the case. I worry so much about those little components that I even have a $20 Polar handheld fan blowing at it (very quiet) if I plan to use it at home for extended periods.
Several pages back, there was a good discussion about this. The consensus is that the M3X at most "runs slightly warm" with extended play in Balanced. My M5s got quite warm in balanced and got quite hot when playing in balanced with the charging cable plugged in. It's a non issue on the M3X.

May 11, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #767 of 2,442
Let's start with AK120, AK240, Fiio X7ii all three I owned. The first 2 were +$1000 on release and the M3X IMO sounds much better. Wider, deeper, more resolving, greater clarity and sparkle. The M3X is half of the release price of the X7ii and is supeior in many ways. Again, IMO, the M3X has broken a price / performance barrier. When you take form, sound, function and battery - it's an outstanding value.
That's interesting. I use my FiiO X5III as my daily DAP and have been wanting to upgrade for a while mainly because of its glacial slowness and lag. It sounds like the M3X sounds better than the X7II so it would definitely will be an improvement over my X5. I've been hesitating due to the M3X's relatively lower balanced output at 240mw vs. the claimed up to 500mw in the X5's balanced turbo mode. I'd actually prefer a HiBy R5s due to its powerful 4.4mm balanced output but the R5's seem to be in very short supply these days, especially ordering from Canada. Thanks again for the comparison.

May 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #768 of 2,442
That's interesting. I use my FiiO X5III as my daily DAP and have been wanting to upgrade for a while mainly because of its glacial slowness and lag. It sounds like the M3X sounds better than the X7II so it would definitely will be an improvement over my X5. I've been hesitating due to the M3X's relatively lower balanced output at 240mw vs. the claimed up to 500mw in the X5's balanced turbo mode. I'd actually prefer a HiBy R5s due to its powerful 4.4mm balanced output but the R5's seem to be in very short supply these days, especially ordering from Canada. Thanks again for the comparison.
My 2 biggest concerns in buying the M3X were: 1) only 2GB ram which has proven to be a non issue and 2) The Output Power. It's lower than than my previous M5s yet on both balanced and single ended it's got plenty of output power to drive everything I've got, including a couple sets of planars, with lots of headroom. Unless you've got demanding cans, there's plenty of juice in this thing. I've discovered what I see on paper and what I'm perceiving in my ears are very different things.

May 11, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #769 of 2,442
My 2 biggest concerns in buying the M3X were: 1) only 2GB ram which has proven to be a non issue and 2) The Output Power. It's lower than than my previous M5s yet on both balanced and single ended it's got plenty of output power to drive everything I've got, including a couple sets of planars, with lots of headroom. Unless you've got demanding cans, there's plenty of juice in this thing. I've discovered what I see on paper and what I'm perceiving in my ears are very different things.
Thanks, that's good to know!

May 11, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #770 of 2,442
Really good to hear. My remaining concern won't go away though. Android 7.1.

May 11, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #772 of 2,442
Finally after following the discussions here. I ended up buying the M3X for myself as a secondary android DAP!! Fingers crossed for quick delivery, DHL says by 18th.

May 11, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #773 of 2,442
Finally after following the discussions here. I ended up buying the M3X for myself as a secondary android DAP!! Fingers crossed for quick delivery, DHL says by 18th.
A whole week out and I’m already pre-badgering you for impressions relative to the N3Pro 😅

May 12, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #774 of 2,442
Would like to inquire about the Shanling M3X. If I understand it correctly, the M3X comes with "USB Transport Function" which enables the unit to transmit digital audio signal to a standalone DAC. In other words, when the Shanling M3X is connected to an external DAC, the internal DAC in the Shanling is bypassed and not in use.

If my understanding is correct, what cable is used to connect the Shanling M3X to the external DAC? Say if the external DAC has USB Type B input, can a USB Type-C to Type-B cable be used to connect the Shanling USB Type-C output to the USB Type-B input of the external DAC?

May 12, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #775 of 2,442
Wait. I thought that this filter was a discretionary switchable filter, so that one could avoid sibilance. Wouldn't these virtually inaudible frequencies be in any case cut off just in the normal course of things?
There is no filter that would be cutting range of sibilance. You would need to use EQ for that.
I downloaded GoneMad. I am finding that there are distinct pauses when music is playing and i try to switch to another song. Not so long as to be extremely annoying, but enough for me to post about it. I am using a fast Sandisk MicroSDXC.
This is about different apps different approach to Gapless and then how it also mixes with the AGLO system on M3X.
Re: Android on the M3X.

I am having a lot of trouble swiping up to see the standard Android display of all open windows, so that I can close which ones I want. I don't even have a cover or case on this yet, so it's not like I am missing territory on the screen. It just will not show all the windows. After I try a whole bunch of times, all of a sudden it will work, and show open windows, allowing me to X out of any of them.

I've tried to figure out what made a particular swipe out of many show those windows, but I can't duplicate. I just swipe repeatedly, and then it shows at some point. What am I missing? Thanks.
For me, a quick swipe up goes to the Home Screen. A slooow swipe up opens opens the task manager.

Swipe up goes to home screen. Swipe up and holding finger in place opens the task manager. You can swipe quickly over whole screen, just don't lift finger at the end and it opens.

Or just switch to navigation bar and just click on it.
Would like to inquire about the Shanling M3X. If I understand it correctly, the M3X comes with "USB Transport Function" which enables the unit to transmit digital audio signal to a standalone DAC. In other words, when the Shanling M3X is connected to an external DAC, the internal DAC in the Shanling is bypassed and not in use.

If my understanding is correct, what cable is used to connect the Shanling M3X to the external DAC? Say if the external DAC has USB Type B input, can a USB Type-C to Type-B cable be used to connect the Shanling USB Type-C output to the USB Type-B input of the external DAC?
It will work with any data cable. We normally use some 2$ cable for printer.
This is more about DAC and if that's compatible. Which can be hit or miss.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 12, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #776 of 2,442
Correct. you can use type c to type b cable. i found one good on aliexpress for around 3 dollars. now you don´t need otg adapter

May 12, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #777 of 2,442
Thanks for the prompt response. Just to confirm,

1. If a 4.4mm to XLR cable is used to connect the balanced output of the M3X to an external DAC as shown in the photo below, is the output signal processed by the internal DAC of the M3X?
4.4mm cable.JPG

2. If a USB Type-C to Type-B cable is used to connect the the M3X to an external DAC as shown in the photo below, the same question as above, is the output signal processed by the internal DAC of the M3X?
USB Type C to B.JPG

Which is a superior connection?

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #778 of 2,442
Correct. you can use type c to type b cable. i found one good on aliexpress for around 3 dollars. now you don´t need otg adapter
Thanks for the response. With this connection, I presume the output signal will not go through the internal DAC of the M3X? If using the 4.4mm to XLR cable, I presume the output signal will go through the internal DAC of the M3X?

May 12, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #779 of 2,442
I'm not sure if there's an audiophile grade cable for these sort of connections (4.4mm to XLR ; USB Type C to Type B). My USB Type A to Type B cable that's currently connecting my laptop to the DAC costs about $600.

May 12, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #780 of 2,442
Thanks for the prompt response. Just to confirm,

1. If a 4.4mm to XLR cable is used to connect the balanced output of the M3X to an external DAC as shown in the photo below, is the output signal processed by the internal DAC of the M3X?

2. If a USB Type-C to Type-B cable is used to connect the the M3X to an external DAC as shown in the photo below, the same question as above, is the output signal processed by the internal DAC of the M3X?

Which is a superior connection?
If you are using 4.4mm to XLR, you will be connecting to an amplifier, not a DAC. In this case you are using M3X DAC and amplifier.

If you use the USB-C to USB-B cable, you are using it as a simple digital transport and can connect it to separate USB DAC. In this case you are not using M3X DAC.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back