Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Aug 9, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #1,351 of 2,445
You need to switch between USB DAC function and Storage mode in quick access menu. If you do not have it switched to USB DAC mode, it will not show up for the USB Drivers.
Gotcha. That didn't resolve the file transfer issues, however.

Aug 9, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #1,353 of 2,445
Talking about Shanling Music player? That's strange, as the firmware update should never delete data from the app.
And it wasn't possible to just move tracks in the playlist.

Hi yes I'm using the Shanling Music player and updated the firmware to version 1.5 last week my playlist were deleted and when I make new a playlist I cannot move the songs around in the playlist. Before I would long touch the track I want to move and I was able to move it up or down. also this feature kinda works but doesnt if you have a playlist open and lick the top lefthand side with where it has the 3 dots and lines it allows you to select tracks once you select a track and click the add to on the bottom lefthand sidethese 3 options can be used
add to the top of playing list
add to the bottom of playing list
add as next track to the now playinglist
when selecting either
add to the top of playing list
add to the bottom of playing list
it says done but the track does not show to be moved or anything
when selecting
add as next track to the now playinglist
and i skip to the next song it works but the other 2 there is no change in the playlist so im not even sure if it did anything because again you can seem to move the songs in the created playlist

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #1,354 of 2,445
Is this dap better than any smartphone? I already have the ibasso dx120 and I'd like to know if this might be a step up over my portable rig.
this dap is wayyy better than any smart phone the only smartphones that would come close to having a decent dac was the ones made by LG especially the velvet or the new sony phones or the onkyo phone they made when they sold their daps since it was the exact same chipset they used in the phone.
But still the m3x or the ibasso you own is much better than any smartphone(even the ones i listed above) when it comes to listening and sound. Also idk about the sony but I know most phones do not support native dsd playback unless it has an amp attached.
The m3x playback time is longer as its 23hours(unbalanced) and 19hours(balanced) you have the option of using single dac or dual dac the sound does change a bit on this which i found interesting. single dac is more on the warm bassy side dual is more for vocals though you still get that warm bassiness but not as strong. The volume level you use low gain is still very loud at a low level. I pair these with my kinerra norn and even at 25 (max being 100) they are loud the loudest ill go is maybe 30-32(pending on the song) anything above ill be killing my hearing. If i put the gain on high 25 would be the loudest i would go. the Bluetooth codec is also decent considering it supports ldac which is great for any tws earphones/headphones that have ldac.
on a side in regards to sound comparison between the 2 i cant really say much as i only compared it to the ibasso 160 I almost got this but after the slugish android user experience, i opted not to get it and waited until I met this guy the m3x I tried both again before buying and I found the m3x more to my liking. The ibasso 160 felt more sharp sound wise vs m3x felt more fun to listen to top it off between being able to switch between dual to single dac sound dynamic would change not drastically but the fact you had 4 different sounds to play with I thought was interesting. Also between the crappy android movement, the heat, and the battery life on the ibasso compared to the m3x it was a no brainer for me.
if they release an upgrade version to this in the next 2 years I would suggest to just have all 3 plugs of 2.5 3.5 and 4.4 all available like the m6 does, and maybe make it a bit slimmer maybe by 25 to 30% and make it 3 to 4 gb of ram. aside from that honestly this dap can hang with higher price point models in terms of sound and features.
Also this model is very hard to geta hold of in tokyo it sold out pretty quickly in most of the places i shop at vs you can find the other lower or higher grade models

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #1,355 of 2,445
In simple way, yes, it is better than any smartphone to play your music. I don't know if it's better than iBasso DX120, subjective to the ear, needs and budget, but certainly, M3X is newer. But for me, personally, it is an upgrade from my Fiio M6.

Actually, what music provider do you usually play your music from? or what type of audio files do you play? if it's just Spotify and MP3 files, then buying any portable DAP is a waste of money.

If you play FLAC files, OR have subscribed to TIDAL Master MQA, OR have a DSD/DXD files to play, then you should use a DAP.
I play flac and dsd files. And I already have a couple daps(DX120 and A105). I'm selling both and getting the Cayin N6 and Shangling M3X, although im a little curious to know if the M3X might actually sound better than any smartphone. Because if that's the case then I'd be useless to get rid of one of my portable sources

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #1,356 of 2,445
this dap is wayyy better than any smart phone the only smartphones that would come close to having a decent dac was the ones made by LG especially the velvet or the new sony phones or the onkyo phone they made when they sold their daps since it was the exact same chipset they used in the phone.
But still the m3x or the ibasso you own is much better than any smartphone(even the ones i listed above) when it comes to listening and sound. Also idk about the sony but I know most phones do not support native dsd playback unless it has an amp attached.
The m3x playback time is longer as its 23hours(unbalanced) and 19hours(balanced) you have the option of using single dac or dual dac the sound does change a bit on this which i found interesting. single dac is more on the warm bassy side dual is more for vocals though you still get that warm bassiness but not as strong. The volume level you use low gain is still very loud at a low level. I pair these with my kinerra norn and even at 25 (max being 100) they are loud the loudest ill go is maybe 30-32(pending on the song) anything above ill be killing my hearing. If i put the gain on high 25 would be the loudest i would go. the Bluetooth codec is also decent considering it supports ldac which is great for any tws earphones/headphones that have ldac.
on a side in regards to sound comparison between the 2 i cant really say much as i only compared it to the ibasso 160 I almost got this but after the slugish android user experience, i opted not to get it and waited until I met this guy the m3x I tried both again before buying and I found the m3x more to my liking. The ibasso 160 felt more sharp sound wise vs m3x felt more fun to listen to top it off between being able to switch between dual to single dac sound dynamic would change not drastically but the fact you had 4 different sounds to play with I thought was interesting. Also between the crappy android movement, the heat, and the battery life on the ibasso compared to the m3x it was a no brainer for me.
if they release an upgrade version to this in the next 2 years I would suggest to just have all 3 plugs of 2.5 3.5 and 4.4 all available like the m6 does, and maybe make it a bit slimmer maybe by 25 to 30% and make it 3 to 4 gb of ram. aside from that honestly this dap can hang with higher price point models in terms of sound and features.
Also this model is very hard to geta hold of in tokyo it sold out pretty quickly in most of the places i shop at vs you can find the other lower or higher grade models
Thanks for your reply. Wish I could try it before making my purchase but I'll definitely order it by the end of this month. My girlfriend's gonna kill me but it'll be worth it.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,357 of 2,445
Thanks for your reply. Wish I could try it before making my purchase but I'll definitely order it by the end of this month. My girlfriend's gonna kill me but it'll be worth it.
yeah in tokyo I'm fortunate to actually try these things before buying them.
It's still cheaper than a new smartphone lol and if anything it has android so you can install apps(not games) on it like a smartphone which I found handy since i can just change my phone to hotspot and connect it to there to enjoy my streaming music or just listen to the songs i put on there(which I usually do).
if you wanna a review like a good review I recommend watching this review

he actually goes over the pros cons and features etc in a detailed manner while showing you. Aside from trying it at the store because I was curious about the sound. the way this guy explained things checked off most of the things I wanted in a player.
Granted he does rant about things in a funny way so if you wanna skip through id skip to around the 4min mark and he starts going over the accessories and then more into the player.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,358 of 2,445
I play flac and dsd files. And I already have a couple daps(DX120 and A105). I'm selling both and getting the Cayin N6 and Shangling M3X, although im a little curious to know if the M3X might actually sound better than any smartphone. Because if that's the case then I'd be useless to get rid of one of my portable sources
Wait, which Cayin N6? And are you sure you're getting both Cayin N6 and Shanling M3x? Because both of them are DAP. Well it's entirely up to you, though. It's like having 2 cars.

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #1,360 of 2,445
if you're gonna get the Cayin N6 you don't need the m3x. The N6 is a beast and a half like seriously if I was gonna get a player in that price range I was gonna get either the new smaller Kann or N6. but because of the change board on the N6 i woulda ended up with the N6. That is what i call a really really powerful monster. the m3x is a small little monster that will blow your mind for its size. but if you want a real monster N6 sits on the throne of its own i would say.

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,362 of 2,445
yeah in tokyo I'm fortunate to actually try these things before buying them.
It's still cheaper than a new smartphone lol and if anything it has android so you can install apps(not games) on it like a smartphone which I found handy since i can just change my phone to hotspot and connect it to there to enjoy my streaming music or just listen to the songs i put on there(which I usually do).
if you wanna a review like a good review I recommend watching this review

he actually goes over the pros cons and features etc in a detailed manner while showing you. Aside from trying it at the store because I was curious about the sound. the way this guy explained things checked off most of the things I wanted in a player.
Granted he does rant about things in a funny way so if you wanna skip through id skip to around the 4min mark and he starts going over the accessories and then more into the player.

I honestly can't watch any of this guy's videos. HE SHAKES THE CAMERA TOO DAMN MUCH!!!

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,363 of 2,445
@Shanling , I have a problem with Google Music. And the songs do not change automatically. I have to turn on the M3X again and again so that at the end of one song the next song is played. This is very tedious and annoying. What is the problem here? Please test once and give feedback. Thank you

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,364 of 2,445
Wait, which Cayin N6? And are you sure you're getting both Cayin N6 and Shanling M3x? Because both of them are DAP. Well it's entirely up to you, though. It's like having 2 cars.
Cayin N6ii.

Depends what kinds of car, when you think about it. I want to use the more expensive and "superior" dap for analytical listening at home, and the small one and most portable to go.

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,365 of 2,445
Cayin N6ii.

Depends what kinds of car, when you think about it. I want to use the more expensive and "superior" dap for analytical listening at home, and the small one and most portable to go.
Indeed, the journey to find the most fitting frequency responses will only limited to our budget. As for me, CMoy and my Phone for portability, M3X and XDuoo XD05 Plus for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back