Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jun 30, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #1,081 of 2,460
20170630_140753.jpg
Finally I got it.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,085 of 2,460
on my desk..right after I after I collected from jaben during my lunch break.....
Just opened. Man, that thing feels fantastic. Perfect size for on-the-go. Nice haptic quality, great screen resolution (for a DAP).
Just updating my library. Unfortunately currently have small skin irritation in my left ear, so can't use my JH13v2 for the next 2 or 3 days.
Just have my ATH-M50x around. Testing Bluetooth and HiBy Link later.

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #1,087 of 2,460
@Shanling and @Joe Bloggs, firstly let me express my awe, both in terms of hardware and software M2s is an exceptionally refined and feature-rich device, amazing achievement on your behalf!

Any chance you could consider my feedback in future firmware development, i believe this would improve this amazing device even further?

1. The wheel is very intuitive to use, but when trying to radically change the volume by turning it fast it seems to ignore input. It would be great if it could sense fast rotation and change volume in larger steps and then provide adjustments in fine increments in response to slow rotation (similar to mouse speed tracking when set to fast).

2. When set to line out (maximum level) I'd like to see LO in red at the top of the screen (currently shows volume, which seems to have no effect in this mode anyway). Why red? As a safety warning, I already managed to plug IEMs while in this mode and while my hearing recovered, I'd rather not repeat the experience. Maybe even introduce an option to turn this mode off when cable is unpugged?

3. It would be great to have Gain Setting moved to System settings and placed next to the Line Out (Output options) setting and maybe moving them to the top of the menu (together with USB mode) for more immediate access to the functions that are more likely to be adjusted during day-to-day operation.

4. Any chance to have a longer Auto-shutdown values available?

5. When browsing through tracks clicking the wheel starts playback, but when playback started it does nothing. How about adding stop function to it (maybe only when the screen is on to prevent accidental stops when playing music normally).

6. While built in themes look impressive, brighter areas often make text difficult to read, how about something more uniform and dark?

7. It would be great if screen could turn on for a second or two and display track info when manually skipping to the next track or starting playback from stopped. Ideally, also progress bar when fast-forwarding/rewinding through a track by clutching next/previous buttons.

8. Finally, the case is lovely, but a bit too thick, adding bulk to the device and also making difficult to access controls and especially rotate the wheel when operating M2s lefthanded. Since you are likely to sell this device in millions (I don't see why not?), how about a thinner option, cheaper to make too.

Please don't perceive my feedback as a criticism, M2s is near perfect the way it is and I'd like to reiterate how impressed I am by the sound quality, design and maturity and usability of current firmware once again, it's a fantastic little marvel!

PS: EQ. I normally avoid using it and even if I have to very seldom would I use presets, tuning it up for my playback system. It would be great to have more slots for Custom EQ, maybe 3 to start with?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #1,090 of 2,460
Just opened. Man, that thing feels fantastic. Perfect size for on-the-go. Nice haptic quality, great screen resolution (for a DAP).

Enjoy it :wink:

firstly let me express my awe, both in terms of hardware and software M2s is an exceptionally refined and feature-rich device, amazing achievement on your behalf!

Any chance you could consider my feedback in future firmware development, i believe this would improve this amazing device even further?

Thank you for feedback, we will look into them, I agree with you on some of them, others are maybe more personal preferences.

Definitely want to look into that Line Out, there should be some warning at least.

Small observation here. I find that at times when I changes folders the first track starts about half a second into the song; not at the beginning.

Perhaps the units should buffer the music before playing to avoid that.

There might be some limitations of system, will look into this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 1, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,091 of 2,460
So, I'm considering the m2s, but I'm in a mess with possible options/alternatives given I don't have a specific budget in mind and it's always "well, if I just spend this much more, I can get 'x' ". My thoughts currently are:
1. m2s
2. pick up an AK Jr as they are reasonably heavily discounted now (about £50 more than the m2s in the UK)
3. Stretch to the Pioneer XDP-300R (from Amazon japan - works out around £360 delivered incl. customs etc)
4. Go for the older Shanling m5 if I can get a reasonable second-hand item?

They are all quite different proposals - my main issues are:
I don't want multiple DAPs
I do use 16/44 FLAC and a lot of Hi-Res incl. DSD - no mp3/lossy
I don't want to have to use a separate DAC to make up for a poor DAC/amp in the DAP
I'd rather one with decent amp and DAC, and ideally with native DSD (I think the AK Jr converts to PCM, so perhaps it's ruled out?)
I don't want to buy one and immediately regret not extending my search to other models!!

Tough requirements I guess! - anyone have thoughts on the 3 listed so far? one concern on the XDP-300R is that most seem to be using it as transport only, so to me that means it's lacking in the amp/DAC dept. I realise it's also almost double the price of the m2s in the UK so not a fair comparison, but if everyone is simply using it as a transport, then perhaps it's not really any better than the m2s (if you don't require balanced out or second card slot)

All the best,
rf
1)No idea, though I've always been tempted by the shanlings.
2)AK Jr's have often had reports of bad ui and laggy interfaces.
3)Wouldn't do this one if I were you. I seem to remember someone having issues with the jack and sending it back to amazon jp and it turning into a bit of a nightmare to sort out.
4)Solid unit, could be worth scouring the headfi trading sections to see if any are about.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,092 of 2,460
@nmatheis Thanks, buddy! I've just watched your YouTube videos on the M2S. Definitely very helpful and informative.

Now, I'll just have to decide between the M2S and the Plenue D for my next DAP. Does anyone have both players and is willing to chime in with your thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,093 of 2,460
Definitely want to look into that Line Out, there should be some warning at least.

If there were to be a warning on the line out; please make that warning optional. One of my biggest complaints was related to that on the FIIO X1. When I put the unit into line out mode; that was a deliberate decision. Every time I started up that unit for use in my car; I did not want to have to turn off a warning to hear music. I just wanted to hear music.

One of the best things about the original M2 was that it had a separate line out so I did not have to go through the process of turning off a warning. So I would want a warning to be optional.if it was added back in on the M2S.

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #1,094 of 2,460
To prove / disprove bit-perfect output from M2s->external USB DAC (Mojo, etc) I did an experiment.
I've connected M2s to external Burr-Brown PCM2706 USB Audio DAC and capture his I2S output by Saleae Logic Analyzer.

saleae.png

Then I compared the original and captured files.
The files were identical, but the output file was 0.3 seconds shorter (trimmed at the end).
So M2c has an bit-prefect output to the DAC but it has the problem of truncating the end of the track.
Which must be solved!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,095 of 2,460
Fairly easy to drag music to M2s from OSX once hooked up via USB?
No glitchyness/issues during transfer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back