Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,066 of 2,460

[/QUOTE]Basically agree, but they did not fix yet the mysterious 30:00 when the device time is set to Singapore (this is in regards to the Android App and i5 srock player) which I think was reported to them last September or October.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused:
1. 30:00 seems to be an issue with a certain location ("Set to Singapore")
2. Are they talking about "the Android app and the i5" (Cayin)? or the Shanling? I think they may be referring to the Cayin.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,067 of 2,460
Basically agree, but they did not fix yet the mysterious 30:00 when the device time is set to Singapore (this is in regards to the Android App and i5 srock player) which I think was reported to them last September or October.

I'm confused:
1. 30:00 seems to be an issue with a certain location ("Set to Singapore")
2. Are they talking about "the Android app and the i5" (Cayin)? or the Shanling? I think they may be referring to the Cayin.

I seem to remember in some of the discussion about this - that it could be a HiBy issue, which can potentially affect any of the brands of DAPs that use the underlying HiBy firmware/software.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,068 of 2,460
Great to hear that Shanling team managed to revive the faulty M2s unsing the cloner software. Didn't work for me. Their experience is valuable to anyone and i am happy to see such great client/technical support from them.
Looking forward to meet the team at CanJam London 2017

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,069 of 2,460
that it could be a HiBy issue, which can potentially affect any of the brands of DAPs that use the underlying HiBy firmware/software.

It is a HiBy issue. They are aware of it (since months) but will not have it fixed with upcoming HiBy 3.0. As I do not have the M2s yet I cannot say if it is affected. Probably you do not have to set the M2s to a specific timezone. But where you do that the 30:00-bug will appear. So I am afraid it will resurface if using HiBy-link.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #1,070 of 2,460
Hope other would comment if they would also be interested in a M1 style case (with belt strap) for the M2s. I think this would be superior solution over the current case, for many.

Options are always good. I for one would prefer the M1 style case or at least be able to switch to one as needed.

Just a thought.

I totally want that. The m2s in overall volume size is similar to the m1. Longer but thinner. Still quite compact. surprisingly compact. Would be a great exercise unit.

Still trying to get my arms around how to describe this unit. Kind of an m1 sound on steroids.

The bass seems stronger on the flc8s than the m2 original. But I get more bass in the car with the m2 line out jack

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,071 of 2,460
I totally want that. The m2s in overall volume size is similar to the m1. Longer but thinner. Still quite compact. surprisingly compact. Would be a great exercise unit.

Still trying to get my arms around how to describe this unit. Kind of an m1 sound on steroids.

The bass seems stronger on the flc8s than the m2 original. But I get more bass in the car with the m2 line out jack

well that's two of us, I was hoping for more people to chime in and maybe motivate Shanling into actually making it happen.

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #1,073 of 2,460
Waiting on my shiny new Shanling USB cable from Shenzhen Audio. Anyone receive theirs yet?

Waiting also, haven't checked tracking I just hope to see it in the mailbox soon :)

Just checked tracking and it says it just departed Singapore, it's been 7 days since I ordered it. That's why I haven't checked the tracking lol. That can't be right.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,074 of 2,460
Trying to find some answers :
- Does aptx usage at home is sucking battery out ? Any idea of the "streaming" max duration playing ?
- Is it possible to recharge battery as playing music ?
- Any crossfading feature between tracks ?
- for those who hesitated between Cayin N3 & Shanling : did you make your decision so far ? xD

=> my goal is to have a confortable DAP in the subway and to be able to zap music on my hi-fi system at home...

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,075 of 2,460
- Is it possible to recharge battery as playing music ?
Yes, just tested using powerbank, plays and charges jsut fine.
- Any crossfading feature between tracks ?
There is crossfade option (gapless playback), but it MAY be causing 0.5 second skip at the start of some tracks, still testing.
- Does aptx usage at home is sucking battery out ? Any idea of the "streaming" max duration playing ?
Obviously it would, but there's too many variables to predict the duration. Note that bluetooth headset robs you of one of the best M2s's features: quality of DA conversion and amp as M2s will be used only as transport. DSD playback does not work via bluetooth either.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #1,076 of 2,460
So, I'm considering the m2s, but I'm in a mess with possible options/alternatives given I don't have a specific budget in mind and it's always "well, if I just spend this much more, I can get 'x' ". My thoughts currently are:
1. m2s
2. pick up an AK Jr as they are reasonably heavily discounted now (about £50 more than the m2s in the UK)
3. Stretch to the Pioneer XDP-300R (from Amazon japan - works out around £360 delivered incl. customs etc)
4. Go for the older Shanling m5 if I can get a reasonable second-hand item?

They are all quite different proposals - my main issues are:
I don't want multiple DAPs
I do use 16/44 FLAC and a lot of Hi-Res incl. DSD - no mp3/lossy
I don't want to have to use a separate DAC to make up for a poor DAC/amp in the DAP
I'd rather one with decent amp and DAC, and ideally with native DSD (I think the AK Jr converts to PCM, so perhaps it's ruled out?)
I don't want to buy one and immediately regret not extending my search to other models!!

Tough requirements I guess! - anyone have thoughts on the 3 listed so far? one concern on the XDP-300R is that most seem to be using it as transport only, so to me that means it's lacking in the amp/DAC dept. I realise it's also almost double the price of the m2s in the UK so not a fair comparison, but if everyone is simply using it as a transport, then perhaps it's not really any better than the m2s (if you don't require balanced out or second card slot)

All the best,
rf

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #1,077 of 2,460
So, I'm considering the m2s, but I'm in a mess with possible options/alternatives given I don't have a specific budget in mind and it's always "well, if I just spend this much more, I can get 'x' ". My thoughts currently are:
1. m2s
2. pick up an AK Jr as they are reasonably heavily discounted now (about £50 more than the m2s in the UK)
3. Stretch to the Pioneer XDP-300R (from Amazon japan - works out around £360 delivered incl. customs etc)
4. Go for the older Shanling m5 if I can get a reasonable second-hand item?

They are all quite different proposals - my main issues are:
I don't want multiple DAPs
I do use 16/44 FLAC and a lot of Hi-Res incl. DSD - no mp3/lossy
I don't want to have to use a separate DAC to make up for a poor DAC/amp in the DAP
I'd rather one with decent amp and DAC, and ideally with native DSD (I think the AK Jr converts to PCM, so perhaps it's ruled out?)
I don't want to buy one and immediately regret not extending my search to other models!!

Tough requirements I guess! - anyone have thoughts on the 3 listed so far? one concern on the XDP-300R is that most seem to be using it as transport only, so to me that means it's lacking in the amp/DAC dept. I realise it's also almost double the price of the m2s in the UK so not a fair comparison, but if everyone is simply using it as a transport, then perhaps it's not really any better than the m2s (if you don't require balanced out or second card slot)

All the best,
rf

not in your options but you may also want to consider the Opus#1, it's also heavily discounted and it's now available at a bargain.

To further help you narrow your search - do you prefer touch screen? any size requirements?

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,078 of 2,460
not in your options but you may also want to consider the Opus#1, it's also heavily discounted and it's now available at a bargain.

To further help you narrow your search - do you prefer touch screen? any size requirements?

I'll certainly check out the Opus#1 also - much appreciated.

I don't have a preference for touch-screen as I'm happy as long as the control is usable even without touch-screen. The size, something not too large, not too small! - deck of cards or a little larger perhaps.
As regards features, I do like the idea of balanced out, but I wouldn't use it in the near term. USB DAC is great to have, but the key is that I want to ensure I can use 256GB and that it has a good amp/DAC combination on-board so that I don't need to entertain yet another piece of equipment to carry around.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,079 of 2,460
I'll certainly check out the Opus#1 also - much appreciated.

I don't have a preference for touch-screen as I'm happy as long as the control is usable even without touch-screen. The size, something not too large, not too small! - deck of cards or a little larger perhaps.
As regards features, I do like the idea of balanced out, but I wouldn't use it in the near term. USB DAC is great to have, but the key is that I want to ensure I can use 256GB and that it has a good amp/DAC combination on-board so that I don't need to entertain yet another piece of equipment to carry around.

as much as i would like to promote the M2s, for future proofing, you might want to consider the #1 - we can continue this discussion in the #1 thread so as not to further derail this thread.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,080 of 2,460
I'm with Karloil on the opus # 1 it sounds really great and has a lot for the price, I would stay clear of the ak junior unless they really fixed the scrolling speed and UI lagging. That never happened when I owned mine. Although the opus #1 doesn't do native DSD.

Now m2s is really a great size as a transport and has very nice sound on it's own and is just a great little unit. If you want the better all around dap go with opus, however if you're going to use a unit as a transport and small dap go with m2s. Nik the thread started suggested to me to get the mojo for critical listening and use the m2s on the go and for me I is the perfect setup- I love it that I can sit wherever I want to in my home and listen to high quality music and not crank up my home system and annoy the neighbors. Ha ha

And I can use the little m2s in the car and at work and just going out and about. Of course you can do the same thing with the opus so..... If I didn't like tiny daps I'd probably wouldn't have bought m2s, but it's my first Shanling and one of my faves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back