Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
May 6, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #361 of 2,460
Thanks for your contribution @Layman1!

Here's an update from my ongoing experience...

I've been listening to M2s for a bit now and am really enjoying it. I do think the sound is a bit on the warm side but it doesn't lack clarity (not dark). More of a fun, musical sound. Very enjoyable!

I'm also glad it isn't drastically affecting sound of hybrid and multi-BA IEM I've tried it with. Very subtle decrease in bass quantity (like 1-2dB drop from measurements).

I've only had one example of poor synergy so far, and that was with Heavenly Sounds Cadenza earbuds. They were overly warm and lacked clarity. Other than that, I've been pleased with earbud and IEM pairings I've tried.

The physical user experience is holding up pretty well so far. My one-handed operation video shows how easy it is to use the M2s. My only gripe the is that just like smartphones the glass back is slippery, so the case is a must. The case is nice but the cutouts on the left side could be a bit larger. If there was more space around the buttons, it would make the FFWD/REW buttons easier to use.

Shanling has my favorite Hiby-based GUI to date, and I've used many (Srsly!). It's very intuitive in my opinion. I was just chatting with the guy who designed it last night. He also helps conceptualize physical design for the DAPs. Cool guy!

I think that's it for now. Feel free to ask for clarifications as needed :)

Wow I got mine yesterday and I wouldn't say it's on the warm side at all. In fact the n3 and my nw a35
sounds warmer than the m2s. Highs are really pronounced on mine, maybe they will smooth out after a bit. But I really like the m2s, took me a while to get used to the controls, but now it's smooth sailing. Yes this thing needs a case it's really a slippery little bugger, I've almost dropped it a couple of times. Thankfully I have a case on the way when they get black in.

I actually hope the highs smooth out a bit, I'm used to the smooth x5 3 and smooth sony.

More to follow.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #362 of 2,460
Wow I got mine yesterday and I wouldn't say it's on the warm side at all. In fact the n3 and my nw a35
sounds warmer than the m2s.

Thanks for the initial impressions!

Just to qualify my commments and for balance, what I said in my review, and I dare say @nmatheis might agree with me here, is that I felt it sounded slightly warm *in comparison to my current very neutral and reference-style sound signature DAP*.
I don't know about the N3, but I've heard some Sony DAPs to be very much on the warm side (but still excellent), so maybe in comparison to those, it does seem less warm :)

All we can do is compare against other products and describe what we hear. Seems like we're all doing a good job of that! :D

May 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #363 of 2,460
Thanks for the initial impressions!

Just to qualify my commments and for balance, what I said in my review, and I dare say @nmatheis might agree with me here, is that I felt it sounded slightly warm *in comparison to my current very neutral and reference-style sound signature DAP*.
I don't know about the N3, but I've heard some Sony DAPs to be very much on the warm side (but still excellent), so maybe in comparison to those, it does seem less warm :)

All we can do is compare against other products and describe what we hear. Seems like we're all doing a good job of that! :D

Yep agree :) I do have some smooth daps, it sounds really close to n3, but seems to have a bit of a bite or metallic? edge on the highs in comparison.

Nice review btw :)

Oh, and I would like to add the LO on the m2s is pretty powerful. I had to use about 15 to 20 % less volume than the n3 LO. Also I don't like way the eq is implemented on the m2s, It seems to dull the sound when engaged.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #364 of 2,460
Yep agree :) I do have some smooth daps, it sounds really close to n3, but seems to have a bit of a bite or metallic? edge on the highs in comparison.

Nice review btw :)

Thank you very much. I'm just starting out, but hoping to keep improving :D

May 6, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #365 of 2,460
Ha, I should be thanking you! Thanks for creating this thread and posting such informative and valuable content on it! It certainly made my reviewing job much easier. I posted a link to this thread. I wanted to credit you, but couldn't remember your username and had to finish quickly, so no time to search! :D

Aw, shucks. I'm blushing. But seriously, I'm glad people are finding the thread helpful. That's why I do what I do, bro!

sounds warmer than the m2s. Highs are really pronounced on mine, maybe they will smooth out after a bit. But I really like the m2s, took me a while to get used to the controls, but now it's smooth sailing. Yes this thing needs a case it's really a slippery little bugger, I've almost dropped it a couple of times. Thankfully I have a case on the way when they get black in.

More to follow.

Interesting, yet not ultimately surprising, how we're gathering differing opinions on sound. I agree with @Layman1 that how we perceive sound is contextual and subjective. That's why all our impressions are important for the collective good.

So c'mon, guys. I encourage all who've heard M2s to join in the discussion, just engage in the discussion with mutual respect even when you disagree. Cheers!
:beerchug:

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #366 of 2,460
Aw, shucks. I'm blushing. But seriously, I'm glad people are finding the thread helpful. That's why I do what I do, bro!

Interesting, yet not ultimately surprising, how we're gathering differing opinions on sound. I agree with @Layman1 that how we perceive sound is contextual and subjective. That's why all our impressions are important for the collective good.

So c'mon, guys. I encourage all who've heard M2s to join in the discussion, just engage in the discussion with mutual respect even when you disagree. Cheers!
:beerchug:

Yeah it's all subjective, my ears hear the n3 having a deeper sub bass and well the mids and stage are close but the highs on the m2s with my phones are a little brighter than my other daps. Just a bump somewhere on the high frequencies. I don't have any analytical sounding daps to compare it to :) The closest was a dx 90, which I didn't like. I prefer fuller and warmer daps myself as long as the have decent detail.

Heck I didn't think the x5 3 sounded 'warm' until I heard the cayin.

Best thing anyone can do is listen for themselves, take anything anyone says reqarding sound with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #367 of 2,460
Is there any place to purchase them within the USA? The only thing I've seen so far is from various sellers in other countries. It does seem that this dap has a larger screen than the N3 (from pictures at least) so it would help a bit when both of the daps are on a the smaller side.

May 6, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #368 of 2,460
Here's an update from my ongoing experience...

Shanling has my favorite Hiby-based GUI to date, and I've used many (Srsly!). It's very intuitive in my opinion. I was just chatting with the guy who designed it last night. He also helps conceptualize physical design for the DAPs. Cool guy!

I think that's it for now. Feel free to ask for clarifications as needed :)

How would you compare the M2s to the Cayin N3? Am keen to try the M2s but it did not reach singapore turf yet..

I believe the N3 is nearly identical to the i5, even a bit "cleaner" just without the Android stuff...

In regards to the HiBy App: Basically agree, but they did not fix yet the mysterious 30:00 when the device time is set to Singapore (this is in regards to the Android App and i5 srock player) which I think was reported to them last September or October.

May 6, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #370 of 2,460
Is there any place to purchase them within the USA? The only thing I've seen so far is from various sellers in other countries. It does seem that this dap has a larger screen than the N3 (from pictures at least) so it would help a bit when both of the daps are on a the smaller side.

I just heard that Shanling M2s should be up on Amazon soon. That's good news for Shanling fans in the US!

How would you compare the M2s to the Cayin N3? Am keen to try the M2s but it did not reach singapore turf yet..

I believe the N3 is nearly identical to the i5, even a bit "cleaner" just without the Android stuff...

In regards to the HiBy App: Basically agree, but they did not fix yet the mysterious 30:00 when the device time is set to Singapore (this is in regards to the Android App and i5 srock player) which I think was reported to them last September or October.

If you liked i5 sound, you can get very close with N3. i5 does have better dynamics and soundstage, though. M2s is less warm-reference and more warm-musical. Which you prefer depends on your preference. And with N3 you won't have any concerns about impedance mismatch with hybrid and multi-BA IEM. But again, I haven't had any major issues with this with the M2s.

Does the M2s have coax out like the N3? Oh and is the L/O volume on the M2s and N3 adjustable?

M2s just has USB out. I tried Cayin's USB > Coax cable, but it didn't work. Would be cool if Shanling could impending something like that with a firmware update.

May 6, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #371 of 2,460
If you liked i5 sound, you can get very close with N3. i5 does have better dynamics and soundstage, though. M2s is less warm-reference and more warm-musical. Which you prefer depends on your preference. And with N3 you won't have any concerns about impedance mismatch with hybrid and multi-BA IEM. But again, I haven't had any major issues with this with the M2s.

M2s just has USB out. I tried Cayin's USB > Coax cable, but it didn't work. Would be cool if Shanling could impending something like that with a firmware update.

Thanks for the reply mate! So I guess then the M2s is warm musical and the N3 is warm reference sound signature?

Thank-you

May 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #374 of 2,460
So for you guys who have M2s...

If you've had previous experience with Shanling DAPs, what do you think of the new "control knob" compared with the older "control wheel"?

I have to admit that when I first saw it, I thought I'd prefer the older control wheel. But after using the new control knob, I'm really liking it. Seems like a good move to separate out the transport controls.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

May 7, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #375 of 2,460
I have ordered one of these hoping to get it in time for my review unit of M2s but i dont think its likely being posted from china will probably take 3 weeks. My aim is to include its transport usability with dacs from its usb out in the review.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
There should be one included really or at least a usb C otg adaptor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back