Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
Dec 7, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #871 of 935
Immediate impressions:
  • V decent amount of power, for my IEMs at least
  • Great connectivity
  • Sounds good, but highs seem a bit sharp compared to my NX4, but may be perceived
  • Strange ergonomics - volume knob position awkward in both regular and flipped mode
  • USB C position on the side awkward for external DAC usage
  • No search function - pretty irritating
  • Double tap volume to wake makes screen flash on then turn off again - probs happens 30% of the time
  • Eddict SyncLink simply doesn't work for me - the app is pants
In the round, a pretty versatile little thing beyond some of these frustrations
Your IEMs might be a tad sharp. I had the M6 before and this M1s is a lot warmer and fuller sounding.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #873 of 935
I actually wish it was even warmer... (the treble is too sharp for my taste)
Which iems are you using? I could listen louder across the board and it’s less stressful for my ears too.
And I don’t use EQ but you can set 3 profiles and slightly adjust it to your taste.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #874 of 935
Which iems are you using? I could listen louder across the board and it’s less stressful for my ears too.
And I don’t use EQ but you can set 3 profiles and slightly adjust it to your taste.

Using it with both Meze Rai Penta iems and Denon closed back 7200 (which is warm enough).
I would prefer not to use EQ to get the warmer sound with less sharp treble...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #875 of 935
I found EQ is not available when streaming from smartphone via LDAC to the M1s.
As opposed to having EQ available when playing from memory card, it seems strange?
Should EQ be available when M1s is receiving digital stream via Bluetooth?

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #878 of 935
@Shanling What digital filters are best to reduce high frequencies?

I stumbled onto some YouTube videos but it’s a hassle and in general I think I need more explanation.

Edit: I found this on FiiO about the same dac chip. @Audiophile PT I guess it will be able to help you out. If I’m reading correctly, 1/2 are cutting off higher frequencies faster or smoothing higher frequencies. Anybody know how to works?

1) Sharp Roll-Off Filter: full and rich sounds, positioned at the very rear. It is suitable for pop music.

2) Short Delay Sharp Roll-Off Filter: robust, thick and atmospheric sounds, positioned at the rear. With accurate sound positioning and enough sound thickness, it is suitable for pop music.

3) Low Dispersion Short Delay Filter: neutral sounds, positioned near the middle. It is a traditional filter that can match different music styles. If you have no idea about the filter, you can choose this one.

4) Slow Roll-Off Filter: coherent and clear sounds, positioned near the middle. It is suitable for classical music.

5) Short Delay Slow Roll-Off Filter: ultimately untouched sounds, positioned near the front. It can create an immersive music environment with clear and uncontrolled sounds, which is suitable for classical music.

6) Super Slow Roll-Off Filter: soft sounds, positioned at the very front. It is fast with relatively clean sounds.

I’d really love an answer from @Shanling about filters and what they do to the sound. It’s nowhere explained.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #879 of 935
I found EQ is not available when streaming from smartphone via LDAC to the M1s.
As opposed to having EQ available when playing from memory card, it seems strange?
Should EQ be available when M1s is receiving digital stream via Bluetooth?

Not supported

@Shanling What digital filters are best to reduce high frequencies?

I stumbled onto some YouTube videos but it’s a hassle and in general I think I need more explanation.

Edit: I found this on FiiO about the same dac chip. @Audiophile PT I guess it will be able to help you out. If I’m reading correctly, 1/2 are cutting off higher frequencies faster or smoothing higher frequencies. Anybody know how to works?

1) Sharp Roll-Off Filter: full and rich sounds, positioned at the very rear. It is suitable for pop music.

2) Short Delay Sharp Roll-Off Filter: robust, thick and atmospheric sounds, positioned at the rear. With accurate sound positioning and enough sound thickness, it is suitable for pop music.

3) Low Dispersion Short Delay Filter: neutral sounds, positioned near the middle. It is a traditional filter that can match different music styles. If you have no idea about the filter, you can choose this one.

4) Slow Roll-Off Filter: coherent and clear sounds, positioned near the middle. It is suitable for classical music.

5) Short Delay Slow Roll-Off Filter: ultimately untouched sounds, positioned near the front. It can create an immersive music environment with clear and uncontrolled sounds, which is suitable for classical music.

6) Super Slow Roll-Off Filter: soft sounds, positioned at the very front. It is fast with relatively clean sounds.

I’d really love an answer from @Shanling about filters and what they do to the sound. It’s nowhere explained.

Digital filters are a long and complicated topic. Easiest answer, try it yourself and see which one you prefer. In my experience, it's a lot about personal preference.

There are a lot of articles going into technical details how each filter works, you can start for example here: https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-pick-the-best-filter-setting-for-your-dac

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #880 of 935
As have been noted above. EQ does nothing above 48khz, is this a design decision to not have.. ever?
(makes this player a bit useless for me since I have a lot of hi-res files and I would like to be able to just transfer them over and not having to convert them to be able to use EQ.)
Also, possibly not related to this player, but a general thing, replygain, is that not working for hi-res (it does not for me, but I have no other player to test with so I'm not sure if it's a replygain limitation or the m1s?).

Is there any plan to be able to select folders and add to playlist so the songs in all subfolders are added? does not seem to work now even if the option to add to either favourite or playlist is there when I select folders.

I also have issues with the buttons, especially play/paus being very much hit and miss to register a click, sometimes one works, sometime 3 clicks in a row is the solution etc.. Any idea if that is a firmware thing or a hardware issue?, or user error ?
Perhaps its related to me not using it correctly or perhaps someone have the same experience and know the scenario so I can see if I can reproduce the same?

lastly, more than one time per day the screen is just black, and I cannot do anything except holding volume to reset, I've not yet found a scenario that alway makes it happen but it's always when not having used the player for a while and there is no way to get it started. without a reset..
On the latest FW

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #881 of 935
As have been noted above. EQ does nothing above 48khz, is this a design decision to not have.. ever?
(makes this player a bit useless for me since I have a lot of hi-res files and I would like to be able to just transfer them over and not having to convert them to be able to use EQ.)
Also, possibly not related to this player, but a general thing, replygain, is that not working for hi-res (it does not for me, but I have no other player to test with so I'm not sure if it's a replygain limitation or the m1s?).

Is there any plan to be able to select folders and add to playlist so the songs in all subfolders are added? does not seem to work now even if the option to add to either favourite or playlist is there when I select folders.

I also have issues with the buttons, especially play/paus being very much hit and miss to register a click, sometimes one works, sometime 3 clicks in a row is the solution etc.. Any idea if that is a firmware thing or a hardware issue?, or user error ?
Perhaps its related to me not using it correctly or perhaps someone have the same experience and know the scenario so I can see if I can reproduce the same?

lastly, more than one time per day the screen is just black, and I cannot do anything except holding volume to reset, I've not yet found a scenario that alway makes it happen but it's always when not having used the player for a while and there is no way to get it started. without a reset..
It turns off when you charge it but don’t play music. It’s to preserve battery. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s happening.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #882 of 935
It turns off when you charge it but don’t play music. It’s to preserve battery. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s happening.
Mm, I know but then it should turn on with one or two seconds press of volume right? not that you have to hold it for 5+ or whatever to restart it. e..g it's just black until then and no dialogue on confirm shutdown or anything. just nothing

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #883 of 935

On the latest FW

For EQ, that's limitation of our system, not likely to be ever changed.

Adding whole subfolders, we asked software team about it, seems too complex to add.

If you have issues with buttons not registering, we would recommend sending your player for replacement under warranty.

The system freezing is not something we see from other users, again would recommend sending it in for warranty.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 16, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #884 of 935
Hello, does M1S has upsample feature like in android's UAPP? I plan to use M1S as transport for my Cayin RU6 at my jogging session

I look for upsample because I feel somehow more energetic when listening to upsampling music while jogging

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #885 of 935
Hello, does M1S has upsample feature like in android's UAPP? I plan to use M1S as transport for my Cayin RU6 at my jogging session

I look for upsample because I feel somehow more energetic when listening to upsampling music while jogging

In your example, the RU6, being the DAC, is doing the over-sampling in order to execute its digital filters. You also have the no-oversampling option on the RU6, which many, including yours truly, prefer the sound of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back