Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 13, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #662 of 3,480

Have you used them before?

It works out about £20 more from there, but I suppose the saving is in the time (you would think that spain to uk would be quicker!)and no taxes to pay.

Thanks

I never used the site in the past just some inquiries regarding DAPs, but this time I have ordered so I will keep you posted if everything arrives as expected;

I have also seen it but, zoco has shanling in stock where audiophonics is still waiting for stock; And MRW next day delivery from zoco was 3,4€ against 9,5€ from audiophonics for international delivery throught national carrier, so through Zoco if everything goes has expected it faster and marginally cheaper to order from Portugal

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #665 of 3,480
had a little more time to handle the player yesterday and discovered a few more issues so here's my bug/improvement report Shanling:

1. It seems that tagging isn't fully working; the album and artist names come out ok, but the titles are not shown with their tagged titles, instead the full file name is shown, for example I have a file:
Artist_01_Title.mp3 and it is tagged with artist, album, track number and title in the metadata. When I browse the menu under album it will show the correct metadata, and the same for artist, but entering the album/artist folder it just lists out the files in their full file name instead of just the title, so I see Artist_01_Title instead of just Title sorted by track number.. it's the same thing when I go to "Open all files" where I would see a whole mess of full file names (I don't organize my file names, instead I tag them) listed by alphabetical order.

2. Scrolling through the list has to be improved somewhat.. the volume/rotary wheel is pretty solid (hopefully it holds up) but it goes through one file per click.. I'm currently only testing it with an old 2gb card with only a handful of songs and it takes awhile to scroll to the bottom of the list.. it would be a problem when I load in my 64gb card with thousands of songs and want to scroll to near the bottom of the list.. this can be improved if we can progressively skip through songs the more the wheel is continuously rotated.

2. Someone was asking if it is possible to delete files, I didn't see an option.. holding down the volume wheel when selecting a song does not produce any additional options.

3. Didn't see an option to create playlists on the fly but I didn't look very hard though so I might be wrong on this. But again there isn't much options at the moment in the menus; long press on the selector wheel doesn't do anything right now so we can only scroll through and select songs and that's about it.

I'm currently using a DX50 with a Mojo on my daily commute so I leave the M1 at home as the current features and usuability can't replace the DX50 at the moment. But once these initial issues can be ironed out and improved upon then I will be using the M1 daily for sure.

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #668 of 3,480
Organize your files into a hierarchy like...

A-C / Artist / Year - Album / Track # - Song Name

I think you'll find you have to scroll much less!

That may be true, but ultimately I usually listen to all my songs in my library on shuffle, but if I want to select a song that has the artist name or album or title that is on the back end of the alphabetical order then I would have to rotate the selector 1000 clicks to get to the 1000th song which isn't very user friendly and could definitely be improved upon. I just don't think a linear method of selection is practical, or at least give a way to select the alphabet in the list and that would help a lot too.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #669 of 3,480
  That may be true, but ultimately I usually listen to all my songs in my library on shuffle, but if I want to select a song that has the artist name or album or title that is on the back end of the alphabetical order then I would have to rotate the selector 1000 clicks to get to the 1000th song which isn't very user friendly and could definitely be improved upon. I just don't think a linear method of selection is practical, or at least give a way to select the alphabet in the list and that would help a lot too.

This is what I was worried about. I also listen on shuffle, though I'll sometimes listen to an album straight. Poweramp for Android has a one-click "shuffle all" option, is that possible here, or do you need to select a song first?

Starting to think I'll need a touchscreen DAP after all...

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #671 of 3,480
Guys, there's an Open All option which is what Shanling calls All Songs. You can still keep your library organized into folders on your mSD card. You just need to update the library, go to My Music, and Open All. Then play your music on random / shuffle. Easy-peasy!

There's also reverse scrolling. So to get to the last entry in any list, all you have to do is scroll backwards one click to the last line item.

Of course we all have different use cases and are used to different behavior from our DAPs, but I find the way Shanling & Hiby have customized the firmware is pretty damn good.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #672 of 3,480
had a little more time to handle the player yesterday and discovered a few more issues so here's my bug/improvement report @Shanling:

1. It seems that tagging isn't fully working; the album and artist names come out ok, but the titles are not shown with their tagged titles, instead the full file name is shown, for example I have a file:
Artist_01_Title.mp3 and it is tagged with artist, album, track number and title in the metadata. When I browse the menu under album it will show the correct metadata, and the same for artist, but entering the album/artist folder it just lists out the files in their full file name instead of just the title, so I see Artist_01_Title instead of just Title sorted by track number.. it's the same thing when I go to "Open all files" where I would see a whole mess of full file names (I don't organize my file names, instead I tag them) listed by alphabetical order.

2. Scrolling through the list has to be improved somewhat.. the volume/rotary wheel is pretty solid (hopefully it holds up) but it goes through one file per click.. I'm currently only testing it with an old 2gb card with only a handful of songs and it takes awhile to scroll to the bottom of the list.. it would be a problem when I load in my 64gb card with thousands of songs and want to scroll to near the bottom of the list.. this can be improved if we can progressively skip through songs the more the wheel is continuously rotated.

2. Someone was asking if it is possible to delete files, I didn't see an option.. holding down the volume wheel when selecting a song does not produce any additional options.

3. Didn't see an option to create playlists on the fly but I didn't look very hard though so I might be wrong on this. But again there isn't much options at the moment in the menus; long press on the selector wheel doesn't do anything right now so we can only scroll through and select songs and that's about it.

I'm currently using a DX50 with a Mojo on my daily commute so I leave the M1 at home as the current features and usuability can't replace the DX50 at the moment. But once these initial issues can be ironed out and improved upon then I will be using the M1 daily for sure.

Please bro could you compare the sound quality of DX50 to the M1 through headphone-out (an impression of sub-bass and dynamics would be especially appreciated). Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #673 of 3,480
I Have a 200GB card which is filled. I used folder browsing only and find navigation fine. I don't have any playback issues and gapless apears good so I have no complains. Of course, not everyone has the same use case. But the M1 interface is already good enough and better than other DAPs I have in terms of GUI (X7 in particular) 

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #674 of 3,480
  Please bro could you compare the sound quality of DX50 to the M1 through headphone-out (an impression of sub-bass and dynamics would be especially appreciated). Thanks in advance.

I have changed the output capacitors in my DX50 to ones of my own preference so it my DX50 would not sound the same. I can't give a comparison from memory now because I have not used the headphone-out jack on my DX50 in nearly a year since I got my Mojo, but initial listening to the M1 from the headphone out (only a few minutes) didn't impress me nor was I underwhelmed.. seems pretty decent to me that's all I can say for now 
bigsmile_face.gif

Guys, there's an Open All option which is what Shanling calls All Songs. You can still keep your library organized into folders on your mSD card. You just need to update the library, go to My Music, and Open All. Then play your music on random / shuffle. Easy-peasy!
There's also reverse scrolling. So to get to the last entry in any list, all you have to do is scroll backwards one click to the last line item.

Yes I'm aware of this but this doesn't help at all if I wanted to play a specific track from my entire library without going to the specific artist/album as I want to listen to that particular song and still have my entire library on shuffle. So if I wanted to listen to a song in the middle of the alphabet and is not 'A' or 'Z'.. say.. 'Song.mp3' I would still have to scroll down hundreds of songs to get to the alphabet 'S'

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #675 of 3,480
  I Have a 200GB card which is filled. I used folder browsing only and find navigation fine. I don't have any playback issues and gapless apears good so I have no complains. Of course, not everyone has the same use case. But the M1 interface is already good enough and better than other DAPs I have in terms of GUI (X7 in particular) 

Agreed. I also find the GUI very easy to use. Should be a getting a MOJO in soon to see how I like the combo 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back