Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 1, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,082 of 3,480

Well, that is far from being a purist. Why would you wish a useful function for a lot of people to fail when you can just turn it off or don't use it at all if you don't want it.

yeah discord76 comment that he hopes that the eq will not work made me laugh, but with his vast experience and 80ish posts he is entitled to his opinion

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,085 of 3,480

I'm only interested in hifi. If the EQ is used it will reduce the accuracy of the digital signal. My post count is irrelevant I think.

You seem to hang on many mis-conceptions about HiFi. Most recordings/mastering already had applied EQ one way or another. There is no such a thing as pure signal in HiFi.

The mastering engineer also uses his own ears which mostly influences his final cut. Not everyone of course will like it. There are many forms of EQ. What you are trying to villify is arguably the best and the cheapest of them all.

Some would like to mix and match source, DACs, amps and headphones. Which is somewhat a form of what an EQ does.

So yeah purist vs. EQ lovers. To me it's just a pot calling the kettle black.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,086 of 3,480

You seem to hang on many mis-conceptions about HiFi. Most recordings/mastering already had applied EQ one way or another. There is no such a thing as pure signal in HiFi.

The mastering engineer also uses his own ears which mostly influences his final cut. Not everyone of course will like it. There are many forms of EQ. What you are trying to villify is arguably the best and the cheapest of them all.

Some would like to mix and match source, DACs, amps and headphones. Which is somewhat a form of what an EQ does.

So yeah purist vs. EQ lovers. To me it's just a pot calling the kettle black.
biggrin.gif

I dont. Hifi is about reproducing the recording faithfully.

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,087 of 3,480
  yeah discord76 comment that he hopes that the eq will not work made me laugh, but with his vast experience and 80ish posts he is entitled to his opinion

Honestly, posts like this make Head-Fi look worse as a whole.  It's egotistical.  We all start somewhere, so mocking someone for lack of experience, you may as well mock yourself at an early point in your journey.  We're supposed to be a friendly and helpful place...  this was not.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,088 of 3,480
eq is everywhere. mic, preamp, recording media ( analog tape) , vinyl all have some kind of eq. having said that I myself avoid eq. it is my personal choice. may be the eq in amps ( bass, treble control ) did do too much to the signal thus adding distortion and phase shift. now a days eq is done mostly in digital domain which can be very transparent depending upon the processing accuracy ( number of bits ). for most of the listeners eq is for extension/ boosting of bass response and pruning down the treble response. for former my choice has been a good sealed sub with variable cross over and later one I never needed because these newer dacs like mojo and hugo have so clean a treble response that controlling it via eq is not required at all . again eq or not eq is anyone's personal choice. many including myself avoid eq to keep things simple, hassle free and straight forward. :)

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,089 of 3,480
Of course the best thing is to have eq available for those who like to use it, others (myself included) can just choose not to.

To say that you hope it doesn't get included because you don't use it yourself...... yeah I don't even know what to say other than that's probably the most egotistical thing I've read in this thread......

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,091 of 3,480
The way he put it that he hopes that eq will not work is what made me not happy with such a post

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,092 of 3,480
  Has anyone ordered from http://www.audiophonics.fr/? I made an order on Saturday when they said they had stock of the M1, since then I've had no communication at all from them.  Just wondered if anyone had any experience of dealing with them?

it says on their webpage:
"
We will be closed from the October 29 until the november 1.

The orders passed between these dates will be shipped the November 2.
"

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,093 of 3,480
Is there anyone else here trying to use the M1 as a transport for any other DAC/amplifier besides a Mojo?
How does one get the DAC to NOT suck power from the M1? Is there a special OTG cable or diy cable setup that can avoid power suckage from the M1 by the DAC unit? I am trying to get my Pioneer XPA700 to work correctly with the M1.

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,095 of 3,480
Is there anyone else here trying to use the M1 as a transport for any other DAC/amplifier besides a Mojo?
How does one get the DAC to NOT suck power from the M1? Is there a special OTG cable or diy cable setup that can avoid power suckage from the M1 by the DAC unit? I am trying to get my Pioneer XPA700 to work correctly with the M1.

I do (check my previous post in this thread), with Mojo, OPPO HA-2 as well as iFi micro iDSD  - none of them draws power from M1. With HA-2, you need to make sure to use the right type of OTG cable (the micro USB side that plug into HA-2 must have its pin 4 and 5 shorted together). With iDSD, it is just a matter of turning on the iDSD before plugging in  the M1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back