Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #3,256 of 3,480
Not to mention, why would I want to by Chinese crap with faulty incomplete firmware? Why would I want to lose the HiBy phone interface and the ability to create playlists from my phone, or sacrifice sound quality when I want to care about sound quality or just quality in general? Not to mention still being stuck with micro USB, something which I'm trying to do.

Shanling... Why is the addition of a belt clip on something Nano sized a big deal? Have you seen the Sansa Clip, Creative M300, Philips Go Gear (a feifferentw models), and the fact the Chinese have knocked off the Sansa Clip every which way but Tuesdays.

I never saw the purpose of the M1 case as it just seems to add bulk if it isn't being used with a belt. If you don't wear a belt it's relegated to the pocket where the flap justakes it thicker. It just seems like a limiting design with a wear method that doesn't always come into play.
Wow where to start? Shanling is a Chinese company. They've updated their firmware a number of times, in part to deal with the extra features. The inexpensive Benjie players haven't had firmware updates because there is no need for them. So in the middle of exercising you want to be able to pull out your phone and have it change the song or volume on the player you have handily clipped somewhere? Doesn't that rather defeat the handily clipped part? And pretty much the same about creating a playlist.

Now I really like my M1 and use it regularly. I also wouldn't say that one of the $25ish players I mentioned sounds as nice. But they don't sound like a pair of old soup cans and a string either.

Perhaps if I use bold for emphasis you'll understand what I'm asking because I honestly don't understand. Why when exercising, moving about vigorously and the like do you need more than a player? I can see it now, someone climbing one of those exercise rock walls, hanging there from a rope sling like in those extreme sports videos, opening their laptop to change albums because they're using the mp3 player conveniently clipped to their jacket as a USB DAC. That's what I just don't get. I'm not saying that those are bad features or are useless features. I even use some of them myself. I just don't understand the need for them while doing 'other stuff.'

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #3,257 of 3,480
Please, can we agree that different users have different needs?

We will try to offer solutions that will fit most of users, but there will always be someone who would like to see something different or have it implemented some other way. No product is perfect. (Until you take it apart and make it yourself)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #3,258 of 3,480
So my take away is another case, perhaps rubber-based, with a sturdy clip might be more productive than a physical redesign of the M1.

Personally, I would more be looking for a successor to the old Sansa Clips for exercise use than the Nano. The only aspect I preferred on the Nano was the LOD so I could pair it with an RSA Shadow and have a solid tiny rig.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #3,259 of 3,480
Wow where to start? Shanling is a Chinese company. They've updated their firmware a number of times, in part to deal with the extra features. The inexpensive Benjie players haven't had firmware updates because there is no need for them. So in the middle of exercising you want to be able to pull out your phone and have it change the song or volume on the player you have handily clipped somewhere? Doesn't that rather defeat the handily clipped part? And pretty much the same about creating a playlist.

Now I really like my M1 and use it regularly. I also wouldn't say that one of the $25ish players I mentioned sounds as nice. But they don't sound like a pair of old soup cans and a string either.

Perhaps if I use bold for emphasis you'll understand what I'm asking because I honestly don't understand. Why when exercising, moving about vigorously and the like do you need more than a player? I can see it now, someone climbing one of those exercise rock walls, hanging there from a rope sling like in those extreme sports videos, opening their laptop to change albums because they're using the mp3 player conveniently clipped to their jacket as a USB DAC. That's what I just don't get. I'm not saying that those are bad features or are useless features. I even use some of them myself. I just don't understand the need for them while doing 'other stuff.'

1. I'm sorry, but I don't think you understand how some people use the app or understand how people who exercise use their players. So you might want to avoid making points that really make very little sense. People that work out, run and so forth make playlists BEFORE they start the activity. Honestly, why would you think someone is going to run a half marathon and create a playlist during it from their phone? Like, oh, I forgot about music three miles into my race. Or, oops, I forgot to add Runnin' Down A Dream to my playlist. Let me whip out my phone while my heart rate is pushing 165-170, and I'm navigating through slower runners so I can add it into my playlist. I can't even imagine someone would entertain that's how we use the app. The point of the app (for me, and I'm sure some others) is it's just more convenient to do player maintenance from the phone due to the interface so you do it BEFORE you go to use the player, not while you're already using it.

2. I bought an M1. I like the M1. Why would you think I would associate it with the Chinese crap comment? I did mention companies like agptek and other knockoff Clip players. It was referenced by the post talking about the cheap Clip alternatives. These are the crap with incomplete and faulty firmware. Heck, if you poke around Amazon and AliExpress they pretty much all make mention of the firmware limitations. It's 2018. The idea you can't use bluetooth during certain playback situations and navigation is just ludicrous. Just like Sandisk crippling playlists on their Bluetooth Clip. Why go against a standard at this stage of the game when simple drag and drop or just playlist creation has worked the same for years? Yet they did, and everyone complained outside of certain die hards that don't mind jumping through hoops to create a playlist the BT Clip can handle. Just dumb.

Let's also mention the ability to not have to use my computer to transfer music. I transfer my music to my phone (128gb card) and then use my phone to transfer a majority of the time. I don't know of any cheap clip player that allows me to do everything via my phone. This in itself is a huge plus to using the Shanling. It's also a big reason to not have multiple players. Why would people want to carry a different player for different usage if they didn't have to? This goes back to the days of having a phone and a pda and a mp3 player and so on and so on. Convergence. Makes me think back to my MotoActv which was ahead of the curve and no one has been able to recreate and improve upon many years later. Just like I don't need a separate HR strap when I can get a watch with HR built in that works 90+ percent as well as a chest strap. And until my perfect running/workout watch can also do music, I need a separate music player to do the job. I'm toying with Samsung's new IconX that can store music, but I'm not necessarily sold on it yet. But it does have USB-C and can connect to my phone to transfer music and playlists while playing music local from the buds.

Along those lines one could take an android wear watch, ditch the straps and crazy glue a clip to the back of it and use it solely as a BT music player for working out. Though it'd be nice to have a simple leather backed clip that allows you to attach it via the strap pins as a less ghetto solution.

In the meantime, here is my clip solution. It's not perfect, but it does the trick. The fit of the case overall is actually a touch off. There's a small gap between the bottom of the case and the player no matter how hard I try to push the player down flush.

And to Shanling, while I know you can't be everything to everyone, it's a shame you can't take advantage of a market segment when others have pretty much abandoned it, and some of the options that are out there are subpar at best. The idea of your leather case is great. The design is limited though as the ONLY way it can be worn is if the person wears a belt. You could have a strong magnet at the bottom so it would slip over one's shorts and the magnet would keep the flap pressed against the back.

Attachments

• 20180313_135949.jpg
    20180313_135949.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #3,261 of 3,480
I'm considering buying the M1.....I'd like to know if there may be a new replacement on the horizon. I'd hate to buy one and then have a new model come out in the near future.

I just noticed a Hidizs AP60 Pro on Massdrop (I'm not sure if this is the same as an AP60II [just a different name] or if it's basically the same player ....does anyone know?). If not familiar with the AP60 Pro, can anyone give the advantages and disadvantages of the AP60II and Shanling M1. I will use the player almost exclusively on the go outside. I currently use a Fiios M3 which I like, but, after a couple of years of ownership, I would like to move up to something better.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #3,262 of 3,480
I constantly buy new players that promise the moon on a stick, like quite a few of them and the Shanling M1 is my favourite pocket and iem setup

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #3,264 of 3,480
Is everyone liking m1 firmware 4.2? I noticed after upgrading to 4.2 that the volume control is function when using it as a transport. Not sure why they did that.

Mistake by HiBy.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 14, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #3,266 of 3,480
Is everyone liking m1 firmware 4.2? I noticed after upgrading to 4.2 that the volume control is function when using it as a transport. Not sure why they did that.

Is this going to fixed in a future update?

Just to confirm, volume can be changed, but it has no effect on volume of the DAC/AMP, correct?

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #3,267 of 3,480
Definitely glad there is NOT a fixed belt clip in the M1. It altrady fits smoothly in a shirt or pants pocket and non-removable clip would do nothing but disrupt the hand feel and add bulk.

Wouldn't want a redesign of the player itself, unless they could make it a little thinner. I didn't glue the belt clip onto the M1 itself. An actual clip on the case would be preferred as opposed to the snap flap.

If I had some 3d printer skills I would actually make my own and post it on shapeways.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #3,268 of 3,480
So my take away is another case, perhaps rubber-based, with a sturdy clip might be more productive than a physical redesign of the M1.

Yeah, I think that the clip should be in the case not the actual player.
In fact I did the easiest modification to my case buying a small money clip and a wrist strap. Just had to make a single hole to the case back.
The strap keeps the clip from falling. The clip prevents the strap from tearing down the case and coming loose.

Only problem is if you use it attached by the clip, the strap moves around which for me is a minor thing. Also wanted to make something easy to dismantle in case I still want to use those arm bands that came with the case.

Here's the money clip I used: LINK
The strap I had it lying aound the house.

Just my 2 cents for anyone really wishing for that clip.

UTB8tEVytJoSdeJk43Owq6ya4XXam.jpg

UTB8TQtotMQydeJk43PUq6AyQpXaX.jpg

UTB814fAt5DEXKJk43Oqq6Az3XXa5.jpg

UTB809nFtWrFXKJk43Ovq6ybnpXao.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,269 of 3,480
Actually I really like this player. But I'm not that much of an audiphile, more of a music enthusiast myself.

In that sense these are a couple suggestions I think would be great additions to the software.

1. As "Folder skip" make an "album skip" when listening from "My music" instead of the "File Browser".
The idea is to move from an album to the next, and the next.

2. Make an option to move folders from an OTG pendrive to the TF card installed (to avoid using the cable).
I used to move music to my phone this way and it is super convenient. Just an option to "Move folder to..." and choose a directory in the card's memory.

3. How about an option to sort albums by year instead of alphabetically?
If possible make it sort from latest to oldest, that would be awesome.

4. Make it possible to select more than 1 album to play. Right now I have to select 1 album, then move to another, and another.
I would like to navigate to an Artist, then select the albums I want to play and only play those (still keeping the album structure, songs order).

5. Being able to make custom playlist from the device would be great. I mean being able to write the playlist name, not just choosing from the available options.
How I see this, the option would be a wheel menu with the alphabet and you have to roll to the desired letter and press to write it (like on an old dial phone).
Would be super slow, but still an option worth having.

6. Sometimes my brain feels like the wheel rotates backwards for the volume, an option to inverse the way it rotates would be appreciated.
However mostly I got used to it by know.​

Anyway, this is all just my opinion, no need to hate on it if you don't agree.
Regards.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #3,270 of 3,480
Just to confirm, volume can be changed, but it has no effect on volume of the DAC/AMP, correct?
My concern is that when the volume is adjustable, having at 100 volume may add distortion. On the flip side when it is not adjustable the volume is set at a safe level so as to not introduce distortion.

As to your question, if I set my DAC/Amp to 12 O'clock and use the volume on my M1 it will increase and decrease the volume going to the DAC/Amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back