Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #3,241 of 3,480
@Shanling - Just FYI, there's a market of at least one buyer for an M1S with a lower noise floor.
Ooh - it would be a bonus if the M1S could also be a little thinner than the M1 (but same width and height would be fine). Thanks! :)
I'd totally be in on an update for M1 with low noise floor for sensitive iems. I love the size of the thing. Tiny audiophile player is just better to fit in any of my pockets compared to the big players that are out.

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #3,244 of 3,480
I think the Hidizs AP60 MKII is comparable feature and size wise

Thanks for the link. But that's too big for me. Ideally I'd like something not made by Apple, but about this size (the clip would be a bonus too!): 233917-apple-ipod-nano-6th-gen.jpg

Mar 12, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,245 of 3,480
I wish there was something the size of the 6th gen Nano with a clip for running. Wish SanDisk didn't cripple the BT Clip. Had it for a day and returned it. The only other one I've seen out there outside of the cheap Apgtek Clip knockoffs is this one. The Hifi Walker HX Sport. Has a clip I wish the Shanling had. I hate the case for the Shanling. I cut the flap and glued on a plastic clip. Think I posted pics. Shame Shanling doesn't want to cater to the sport market SanDisk alienated.
41obkymNGXL.jpg
516v1WlwSIL.jpg

Attachments

• 516v1WlwSIL.jpg
    516v1WlwSIL.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 41obkymNGXL.jpg
    41obkymNGXL.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #3,248 of 3,480
So there actually is an M1S?! Cool! Are there any specs or details posted about it anywhere?

There is no such thing as M1s

You're a bit late with that M1 tour unit buddy. You'd better get that review out quickly - like, about two years ago :wink:

Just because M1 was released 1.5 year ago, doesn't mean that fresh review can't have some new interesting view points.

Really terrible experience I had was the volume being at full 100% after restarting. Is the volume being saved at all?

Please check play settings, "default volume". There you can choose either "Memory" or preset value. Seems maybe some other tour member set up 100 as default volume, to guarantee this terrible experience for you...

@Shanling - Just FYI, there's a market of at least one buyer for an M1S with a lower noise floor.
Ooh - it would be a bonus if the M1S could also be a little thinner than the M1 (but same width and height would be fine). Thanks! :)

Not sure if we can go thinner. Inside you have layer of PCB and battery under it. Easy design that is quite friendly for people fixing devices themselves. To go thinner, I think we would need to go with way of phone manufacturers, sandwich everything tightly and throw tons of glue inside. You would end up with device like my Honor 9, great thin phone, but when I cracked screen, needed to use heat gun to open it. And the gluing everything back wasn't fun either.

Thanks for the link. But that's too big for me. Ideally I'd like something not made by Apple, but about this size (the clip would be a bonus too!)

Damn, size of Nano and with clip? That would be quite challenge. Would you also want touchscreen to go with it?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3,249 of 3,480
Damn, size of Nano and with clip? That would be quite challenge. Would you also want touchscreen to go with it?

Honestly... as much as I loathe/detest/hate Apple... Yes :) Their iPods' sound quality wasn't brilliant, but it was ok for a small player (the 7th gen nano actually had a really quiet noise floor).
The touchscreen was a beautiful way to navigate those tiny devices. I'm fine with the M1's scrollwheel too, but I'm sure you guys know it's slow to navigate through a very large library.
I understand your comments about glue and ease of repair, but that type of issue never bothers Apple. They charge a premium and people pay it - and they have the highest profit margins in the industry.
Just a thought :)

I do think it's a pity that in almost a decade there's never been a successor to the iPod Nano 6th gen. The M1 is as close as we've got. In many, many ways the M1 is superior, but not in terms of form factor for athletes, runners, cyclists, etc.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #3,250 of 3,480
This is not meant to be argumentative I just honestly don't understand. If you're looking for a tiny player for use while doing physical activities such that you need a clip for it why would features like HIBYLINK or the ability to be an amp or a transport, pretty much any advanced non playback feature, be of use while doing those activities? Why not just get a really cheap tiny player with a clip that you use while exercising and a nice larger unit that has all the features as above for the rest of the time? Why not a $5 Gearbest player that just takes mp3 and has a screen? Or the myriad of $20-$30 players from Benjie Ruizu AGPtEK etc that'll play flac too and have battery life upwards of 40+ hours. They aren't exactly large. And you can buy replacement clips for the small walkie-talkie (what are called nowadays?) for a few bucks then a bit of epoxy or superglue and Bob's your uncle

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,251 of 3,480
This is not meant to be argumentative I just honestly don't understand. If you're looking for a tiny player for use while doing physical activities such that you need a clip for it why would features like HIBYLINK or the ability to be an amp or a transport, pretty much any advanced non playback feature, be of use while doing those activities? Why not just get a really cheap tiny player with a clip that you use while exercising and a nice larger unit that has all the features as above for the rest of the time? Why not a $5 Gearbest player that just takes mp3 and has a screen? Or the myriad of $20-$30 players from Benjie Ruizu AGPtEK etc that'll play flac too and have battery life upwards of 40+ hours. They aren't exactly large. And you can buy replacement clips for the small walkie-talkie (what are called nowadays?) for a few bucks then a bit of epoxy or superglue and Bob's your uncle
I'm glad you said that because the features I adore are those advanced playback features and using it as a transport for mojo. Yes I am an uncle.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #3,252 of 3,480
Not to mention, why would I want to by Chinese crap with faulty incomplete firmware? Why would I want to lose the HiBy phone interface and the ability to create playlists from my phone, or sacrifice sound quality when I want to care about sound quality or just quality in general? Not to mention still being stuck with micro USB, something which I'm trying to do.

Shanling... Why is the addition of a belt clip on something Nano sized a big deal? Have you seen the Sansa Clip, Creative M300, Philips Go Gear (a feifferentw models), and the fact the Chinese have knocked off the Sansa Clip every which way but Tuesdays.

I never saw the purpose of the M1 case as it just seems to add bulk if it isn't being used with a belt. If you don't wear a belt it's relegated to the pocket where the flap justakes it thicker. It just seems like a limiting design with a wear method that doesn't always come into play.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #3,253 of 3,480
Not to mention, why would I want to by Chinese crap with faulty incomplete firmware? Why would I want to lose the HiBy phone interface and the ability to create playlists from my phone, or sacrifice sound quality when I want to care about sound quality or just quality in general? Not to mention still being stuck with micro USB, something which I'm trying to do.

Shanling... Why is the addition of a belt clip on something Nano sized a big deal? Have you seen the Sansa Clip, Creative M300, Philips Go Gear (a feifferentw models), and the fact the Chinese have knocked off the Sansa Clip every which way but Tuesdays.

I never saw the purpose of the M1 case as it just seems to add bulk if it isn't being used with a belt. If you don't wear a belt it's relegated to the pocket where the flap justakes it thicker. It just seems like a limiting design with a wear method that doesn't always come into play.
Jesus, was that an anti-China rant? Did you just have an adrenaline pumping workout, or are you on "roids"?

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #3,254 of 3,480

Yeah, and to my Clip Zip, I took handsaw and got rid of that annoying clip. Let's be real, clip doesn't work perfectly for everybody. That's why we would be offering it only as accessory and wouldn't make it permanent part of the player.

With M1, we made this decision, at the time it seemed to be good solution. Being sold with arm bands, creating good running device. Also keep in mind, M1 is bigger than devices like Nano, so it's also limiting when it comes to possibilities of clip and what it can hold in different positions.

But I can tell you, we learn from our mistakes...

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #3,255 of 3,480

Definitely glad there is NOT a fixed belt clip in the M1. It altrady fits smoothly in a shirt or pants pocket and non-removable clip would do nothing but disrupt the hand feel and add bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back