Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 29, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,609 of 3,480
Just got my M1. First impressions are that the GUI and sound quality both greatly exceed my expectations. I bought it as a transport for my Mojo but I can see myself happily using it on its own when wanting to travel light.
It came with firmware 1.1 installed but I can't get 1.11 to install. After selecting update it just sits there on the start-up screen. Should I be seeing some kind of progress indication or is it supposed to sit there on the start-up screen? If it's the latter, how long should I wait? It's been several minutes with no sign of progress.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,610 of 3,480
  Just got my M1. First impressions are that the GUI and sound quality both greatly exceed my expectations. I bought it as a transport for my Mojo but I can see myself happily using it on its own when wanting to travel light.
It came with firmware 1.1 installed but I can't get 1.11 to install. After selecting update it just sits there on the start-up screen. Should I be seeing some kind of progress indication or is it supposed to sit there on the start-up screen? If it's the latter, how long should I wait? It's been several minutes with no sign of progress.

did you put the update.upt in the root directory? it should show the progress bar.. mine took less than 15minutes.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,611 of 3,480
Yes. It's in the root directory of my 128GB ExFAT formatted card with my music on. I tried with a smaller FAT32 card with nothing else on, but the same thing happens. If I don't put update.upt in the right place I get a message telling me. Hmmmm - I'm confused. I used to be a programmer for embedded systems so I've re-flashed a few devices in my time and this is the first I've had any real trouble with.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,612 of 3,480
  Yes. It's in the root directory of my 128GB ExFAT formatted card with my music on. I tried with a smaller FAT32 card with nothing else on, but the same thing happens. If I don't put update.upt in the right place I get a message telling me. Hmmmm - I'm confused. I used to be a programmer for embedded systems so I've re-flashed a few devices in my time and this is the first I've had any real trouble with.

mine just sits along with my files in the 64gb mmc.. in fact I just transfered it directly from PC and ran the update. Maybe you should try to re-download the file if its corrupted.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,614 of 3,480
One thing I noticed  was that after using a Bluetooth device, one must go back and turn off Bluetooth in the settings.  If you don't, the 'gain' function will seem like it doesn't work.  You will be able to toggle the "gain" switch but it will seem like there is no difference.  Once you turn off Bluetooth, all is right again with using regular earphones or whatnot.  Just a head's up, so you don't think you have to reset the M1.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,615 of 3,480
There is a Shanling M1 I can purchase for a reasonably cheap price atm, but I can't bring myself to buy one purely for a transport.

Not when a touchscreen device like Galaxy S4 can be bought cheaper.

Someone would need to do some serious convincing....

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #1,616 of 3,480
try an empty sd card with nothing on it but update.upt only

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,617 of 3,480
  There is a Shanling M1 I can purchase for a reasonably cheap price atm, but I can't bring myself to buy one purely for a transport.

Not when a touchscreen device like Galaxy S4 can be bought cheaper.

Someone would need to do some serious convincing....

Well I find the M1 good sounding standalone, very cute, and with great ergonomics. This wheel is awesome. I am having a hard time parting with the Mojo m1 rig, while I don't really need it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,618 of 3,480

Well I find the M1 good sounding standalone, very cute, and with great ergonomics. This wheel is awesome. I am having a hard time parting with the Mojo m1 rig, while I don't really need it.

No, no no, that's not enough, was a decent attempt though. 8====D

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,619 of 3,480
Hi again. Bad news about compatibility (at least in my player). Sandisk 128gb doesn't work with resume after shutdown too. I'm thinking my DAP is wrong with high capacity cards. Somebody has the same issues??

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,620 of 3,480
try an empty sd card with nothing on it but update.upt only

I've tried that, tried FAT32/ExFAT, tried downloading and copying from a Mac and from a Linux computer. As I mentioned before, I was an embedded software engineer so I've flashed a lot of different devices, so I've tried a lot of the obvious things - apart from the one which will fix it, of course...
I'm starting to wonder if I have a card compatibility issue like @facineroso but which is manifesting in a different way. I'll try some other cards tonight and see if I can find one which works.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. And I will try it again when I try the other cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back