Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 7, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #5,296 of 6,413
Trying to replicate on my unit, but wasn't able to or wasn't able to hear it.

Is it doing on all 24/192 music? Also same for different card?

Upon further testing, it appears to be only that album (in 24/192) that does that, and does so on another SD card so I think it's safe to deduce that 'it's not you, it's me'. But something else popped up in stead... The start of DSD tracks (.dsf files) while playing through pops fairly loudly as it engages when playing through to the next track. And yes, this phenomena is consistent with all .dsf files while being played natively in DAP mode.

Again, since I don't use sensitive IEMs, it's not as big a problem as it could potentially be since I can't physically wear IEMs but a heads up for those that do. But even then, who bothers with DSD while they're out and about? This is probably moot but I felt compelled to report.

p.s. I do not by any means, intend to incite any debate over the efficacy/validity of DSD/HiRes (in this thread) but merely reporting a bug on the M0.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #5,297 of 6,413
Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.

I truly do hope that Shanling will be able to clean up the UI to make it a bit more intuitive to use. They've created an amazing product that has the potential of being really epic if given the right amount of TLC to the software

Nice review and a lot of good points. In particular shoring up the real estate with the left icons as a few extra characters could go a long way. Maybe they can offer a way to turn that off as an option?

I don't agree with the larger library though. I have a 200GB microSD in mine now and carry my complete lossy library for CD rips / vinyl needledrops. My folder structure has been setup with genres first only to reduce the artist names while scrolling and I actually find the M0 to work really well considering the small screen. If a fast scroll could pop up the letter you're up to (like the old Zunes used to) that would be a nice add though.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #5,298 of 6,413
Thanks for the clarification on that, wasn't sure if the sticker was a requirement and don't care quite frankly. Never been a fan of the whole HiRes silliness and I can see how it would look out of place on such a small device.

I definitely prefer the lack of stickers - would look gaudy on a player this small.

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #5,299 of 6,413
Someone knows which are the best wired headphones in ear or overhead, to use with the Shanling M0, for better audio quality?
Without costing more than 150 $ / €
I currently use MEE audio M6 Pro 2nd generation, but I'm looking for something better
Thank you

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #5,300 of 6,413
Jun 9, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #5,301 of 6,413
Someone knows which are the best wired headphones in ear to use with the Shanling M0, for better audio quality?
Without costing more than 150 $ / €
I currently use MEE audio M6 Pro 2nd generation, but I'm looking for something better
Thank you
The FLC8d is awesome. If it's over your current budget, I'd save up for it, because I can't think of anything else that gets close to its SQ for less than $200. But on a site like this, I'm sure you'll get some other opinions and suggestions. Good luck!

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #5,302 of 6,413
Made an account to give some thoughts on the new FW.

Good:
The new control panel thing. I would like to see it added to the now playing screen as well.
The UI feels snappier now, always a plus.

Bad:
The bluetooth animation. Looks really cheesy and is nothing but a visual distraction.

Displaying album art only as the default now playing screen state and always returning to it after an unconfigurable timeout. When I turn on the screen it's because I want to interact with the player somehow, not look at a picture the size of a postage stamp. The information I may want, like how much time is left in a song or the title now requires extra work to get to. Album art is a luxury feature, I don't want it at all if it's going to get in the way of usability like this. This also leads into the next problem.

Button shortcuts in bluetooth mode do not work at all unless the screen is tapped to bring up the controls over that same tacky animation mentioned earlier. Because it defaults back to it after 30 seconds or whatever this means the button shortcuts are rendered essentially unusable in receiver mode.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #5,303 of 6,413
Maybe i'm missing something, but how do i set this under custom? When i go to EQ>Custom>Edit on M0 there are no numbers like this, just a bar for db. My fingers are not even big and i have trouble setting them in place. Honestly I cant see how this would be difficult to undo. Please ask them to put the old presets back. As a suggestion maybe there's a way to code where we can use the volume rocker to move the eq bars and as mentioned earlier something showing which db level is set. I really liked that they put a custom option, but on a screen this small its difficult to use. Maybe even add a EQ setting application/file we can tweak on a bigger device, like PC and sync. Just some food for thought.

Yeah, EQ UI on M0 needs some changes to make it more precise for small adjustments, looking into it.

Upon further testing, it appears to be only that album (in 24/192) that does that, and does so on another SD card so I think it's safe to deduce that 'it's not you, it's me'. But something else popped up in stead... The start of DSD tracks (.dsf files) while playing through pops fairly loudly as it engages when playing through to the next track. And yes, this phenomena is consistent with all .dsf files while being played natively in DAP mode.

Again, since I don't use sensitive IEMs, it's not as big a problem as it could potentially be since I can't physically wear IEMs but a heads up for those that do. But even then, who bothers with DSD while they're out and about? This is probably moot but I felt compelled to report.

p.s. I do not by any means, intend to incite any debate over the efficacy/validity of DSD/HiRes (in this thread) but merely reporting a bug on the M0.

Are you DSD 128 or 64?

Made an account to give some thoughts on the new FW.

Good:
The new control panel thing. I would like to see it added to the now playing screen as well.
The UI feels snappier now, always a plus.

Bad:
The bluetooth animation. Looks really cheesy and is nothing but a visual distraction.

Displaying album art only as the default now playing screen state and always returning to it after an unconfigurable timeout. When I turn on the screen it's because I want to interact with the player somehow, not look at a picture the size of a postage stamp. The information I may want, like how much time is left in a song or the title now requires extra work to get to. Album art is a luxury feature, I don't want it at all if it's going to get in the way of usability like this. This also leads into the next problem.

Button shortcuts in bluetooth mode do not work at all unless the screen is tapped to bring up the controls over that same tacky animation mentioned earlier. Because it defaults back to it after 30 seconds or whatever this means the button shortcuts are rendered essentially unusable in receiver mode.

We will have some internal discussion about current look of BT receiver mode. I hope there will be some adjustments.

When you turn on screen, it will by default view the controls.

And wheel shortcut controls in receiver mode, it's currently bug caused by Lock screen setting. If you turn off lock screen, shortcuts will work without problem.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 9, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #5,304 of 6,413
The FLC8d is awesome. If it's over your current budget, I'd save up for it, because I can't think of anything else that gets close to its SQ for less than $200. But on a site like this, I'm sure you'll get some other opinions and suggestions. Good luck!

The FLC8D gets little notice on Head-Fi. Yet it represents the best audio value I know of. Sounds as good as units that cost more than 4x as much and the mid and hi frequencies are tunable. And they are fairly comfortable and efficient.

At a lower price point, the ibasso IT-01 is worth checking out; but those can't touch the FLC 8D.

At a much lower price point you could check out the Carbo Tenores. But I agree with CSGLinux on the 8Ds.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #5,306 of 6,413
About the earphones for the M0. I had many KZs, 1more triple drivers, Fiio f5 and f9 pro. But I liked the most Ibasso IT 01 andKZ ZS7. The KZ ZS 7 sound more detailed but are a bit more uncomfortable , especially lying on the side. Also they fall off more easily. I had to repair the MMCX connector of the right Ibasso though. It started skipping. It is easy though - you press the inside thiny "rods" inside towards the center as much as possible with a needle.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #5,308 of 6,413
Hi, done the v3.0 update but the problem with AAC BT on some earbuds is still there. I've QCY T2C and Mifo O5 that work AAC on other device but no sound on my M0 (SBC and LDAC Auto work fine). I'd read from the older comment that the Sabbat E12 couldn't use AAC as well, maybe the problem is on the chipset's matching software since these earbuds use the same chipset Realtek RTL8763B, could you fix that?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #5,309 of 6,413
Shanling customer service is outstanding! I had an issue and they resolved it promptly and without hesitation.
Thank you Shanling!!!

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #5,310 of 6,413
I would like to add one more kind word for Shanling customer service.

I was one of the victims of the "3.0 firmware with the white theme" bug. Shanling offered me to either reflash my M0 on my own or to resend the M0 for warranty replacement. Because I thought I had the tools and knowledge and didn't want to miss my M0, I offered to reflash the M0 on my own.

By PM, I was sent a kit with a flash cloning tool (probably the Ingenic X1000E USB cloner toolkit that can be found on internet), a 2.5 firmware in a suitable form (essentially what you get after reassembling the files in the update.bin archive: u-boot, recovery, kernel, filesystem in UBI format) and a PDF guide for the disassembly of the M0 (the screen should pop up if you gently use a suction cup, cables are short so the traction must be well controlled to not damage connectors or cables. There are 3 cables: a Bluetooth coax, a flat ribbon with a locking tab and a flat ribbon with a connector, nothing unusual). See photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RGfnc9p1f7RXWd3r9

Instead of "popping" with its plastic frame (attached with 6 small plastic tabs: 2 on each side, one top one bottom), my screen unglued itself from the plastic frame. The frame remained stuck to the M0 body (apparently some glue had leaked between the frame and the aluminum body). Shanling sent me (UPS, very fast) a new screen attached to its plastic frame for replacement. It was just a matter of removing and reconnecting cables (the tiny Bluetooth antenna coaxial connector was the most tricky to put back) and "voila"... I have a working M0 with the new 3.0 firmware.

Except for the unexpected "glue" issue I had, the fact that you need to remain focused while flashing and have proper tools (suction cup, tweezers,...a phone opening kit essentially) for (dis)assembly, it has shown to be overall relatively easy.

So, thank you Shanling!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back