Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 16, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #5,311 of 6,413
I also looked into the Russian firmware that allows for an equalizer file. These hackers (Xvortex is apparently well known for a Playstation4 exploit) have used a modified "mplayer" binary (it's in /usr/bin/hciplayer) that they probably recompiled using the Ingenic X1000E toolchain (see eg. http://www.ingenic.com.cn/en/?news/tp/228.html and ftp://94.23.144.183/mirror/ftp.ingenic.cn/3sw/01linux/06docs/20100304/mips_toolchain_guide_EN.pdf). This new mplayer binary apparently looks for the proper file in /mnt/mmc (where the SD card is mounted) and uses this for mplayer equalization (see -af equalizer flag, e.g. see http://bird1110.blogspot.com/2011/03/reduce-bass-in-mplayer-using-af.html). A nice change really, something that Shanling should also be able to do with little effort in addition to the on-screen editing tool.

Overall, I'm no expert, but it looks like the update.bin archive is essentially the result of using "signapk" (an Android archive signing tool) on split zip files. It's likely that the original Android certificates were used for signing. If XVortex or Alex_nsk read this post, I hope they will post an open source M0 firmware "repacking script" for others to play with the firmware :)

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #5,312 of 6,413
Jun 16, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #5,313 of 6,413
I just hope that Alex or Vortex will read this thread and decide to make their M0 firmware repacking script available to everybody (at users' own risk of course). Now that they have found that sound decoding is achieved by mplayer, it should allow for new codecs. And there is a mplayer MIPS/Ingenic port on GitHub https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_mplayer

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #5,314 of 6,413
To anybody experimenting with alternative firmware, please be aware, to restore your M0 after bricking it, you will need to physically open the device.

Hi, done the v3.0 update but the problem with AAC BT on some earbuds is still there. I've QCY T2C and Mifo O5 that work AAC on other device but no sound on my M0 (SBC and LDAC Auto work fine). I'd read from the older comment that the Sabbat E12 couldn't use AAC as well, maybe the problem is on the chipset's matching software since these earbuds use the same chipset Realtek RTL8763B, could you fix that?

Will tell software team to try to get some of these problematic earphones. We have quite a collection fo True Wireless and I think all of them works fine in AAC.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 16, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #5,315 of 6,413
I just hope that Alex or Vortex will read this thread and decide to make their M0 firmware repacking script available to everybody (at users' own risk of course). Now that they have found that sound decoding is achieved by mplayer, it should allow for new codecs. And there is a mplayer MIPS/Ingenic port on GitHub https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_mplayer
It is much more likely they read the Russian forum I could try to ask them there, although my Russian is limited. Does anyone know how to translate "repacking script" to Russian?
To anybody experimenting with alternative firmware, please be aware, to restore your M0 after bricking it, you will need to physically open the device.
Fair warning. I have updated from 2.5 custom, black theme without issue. We can only assume they used the fixed firmware so to be safe maybe it is better to update to the fixed 3.0 official and then to the custom. However yes, you are right, there is a risk. I have another player and a smartphone so it wouldn't be a disaster if M0 bricks, I would just be sad but for someone losing access to the device could be extremely depressing.
However without risk - no progress and less fun. :wink:
Anyway many many thanks for the graphic eq - I didn't know my earphones had sub bass :) A bit tricky to set with big fingers but totally doable.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #5,319 of 6,413
Will tell software team to try to get some of these problematic earphones. We have quite a collection fo True Wireless and I think all of them works fine in AAC.
I'd like to report the volume is way too loud with Huawei Freebuds (first gen), while there's no such issue with Jaybird Freedom 1 & 2, neither with wired earbuds. It's like there's no progression : 1 is low, 2 is medium, 3 and above are loud and extremelly loud, no smooth volume control at all.
Freebuds have no issue while paired with a smartphone, volume control is OK and progressive.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #5,320 of 6,413
I just got a new clip case.
My old one's clip had snapped a few months ago, and I was not a fan of it because it just didn't grip hard enough, so I wasn't in a rush to replace it.
Finally though, I really missed being able to clip it, even if poorly.

I was very surprised though, it looks like they fixed it! They new one I got has a slightly stiffer clip, but they also added a longer notch just behind the clip.
It's got a really nice grip now, probably even more secure than the clip on my ES100.
Good job on the update @Shanling !
Wish I had known before that it was updated to work so much better.

I'll try to post pictures of the notch difference tomorrow if I can find the broken clip case again.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #5,322 of 6,413
I see. For now I can only recommend to put these songs into dedicated folder and use folder browsing.

I need to mix the different music from different releases thus it does not help. The only way for me in new firmware is manually remove songs one by one and add back one by one.. I almost kind of gave up and using my phone instead when i need to change my playlist last minutes since i cant swap it fast..

Good to know I'm not the only one. Maybe if they didn't shoehorn their potential customer into such a small sample size. Not everyone is in a forum. In fact the percentage of users that care enough to go on a forum is quite small. Sometimes people just expect a product to work how similar products have worked over the years. Go figure.

Group ex classes are also the reason I need a cue function so the track stops at the end and hitting play starts the next track. If I teach spin or an HIT class, it's continuous. If I teach my lifting class, I need it to stop. Since that's a majority of my use right now, my M0 collects a lot of dust as I've given up on finagling a waterproof solution for swimming, and my IconX's have local storage for running. Just supported an igg campaign for a waterproof version of the IconX's for swimming. Then I can ditch the Sony headset too.

Ideally, we'd both benefit from the phone app for making and arranging our play lists. Shame it doesn't seem to be a concern at all. Well over a year and no Eta in site for it is really blah.

Yay.. Finally i found someone in common too. :hugging: I don't expected a Phone app for us to arrange our playlist since i know it is kind of big effort. For now, But I am actually looking forward for Shanling to allow us to move up and down the playlist in the menu or select the preferable sorting in the coming firmware, which i think more feasible now.
oh ya.. if there is a cue function, that will be good too. @Shanling is it possible ?

Btw, I am using IconX as well.. :raised_hands:, but i mainly to use this player to store my song for Group Ex classes and listen on the go if needed.

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #5,323 of 6,413
I just got a new clip case.
My old one's clip had snapped a few months ago, and I was not a fan of it because it just didn't grip hard enough, so I wasn't in a rush to replace it.
Finally though, I really missed being able to clip it, even if poorly.

I was very surprised though, it looks like they fixed it! They new one I got has a slightly stiffer clip, but they also added a longer notch just behind the clip.
It's got a really nice grip now, probably even more secure than the clip on my ES100.
Good job on the update @Shanling !
Wish I had known before that it was updated to work so much better.

I'll try to post pictures of the notch difference tomorrow if I can find the broken clip case again.

Yeah looking forward to those pics. I've seen the transparent looking clip case and it looks just too flimsy (and corresponds to the reviews as well)

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #5,325 of 6,413
I couldn't find the old clip, which is odd because I was planning to sand the place the clip snapped and epoxy a better clip on.

Here is a picture of the new clip with a yellow arrow pointing to the changed part. This indenture was completely flat on the old case version I had and it makes ALL the difference in the strength of the grip.

newclip.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back