Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Feb 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #4,667 of 6,418
The first half you can answer yourself by reading the first posts of this thread ("yes").

Now for the second part, how does it compare to a Dragonfly Red in pure USB DAC mode, when used with a smartphone?

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #4,668 of 6,418
The first half you can answer yourself by reading the first posts of this thread ("yes").
Aww, you gave the answer away!

"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day,
Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime."

I could only find one post in the thread that compares to Dragonfly Red. The poster preferred M0 by some margin but didn't say whether he was using it as a DAC or as a DAP. I have never heard the Dragonfly.

I can say that the M0 makes an excellent DAC when used with an old ThinkPad and IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #4,669 of 6,418
I'm overall very happy with M0, I've been using it for almost 6 months now. However I keep finding myself using my iPhone more because M0's screen is not that responsive and very small. It makes it difficult to navigate between playlists or artists. Am I the only one guys?

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #4,670 of 6,418
I have a problem scrolling through a lot of info and stopping where I want to, e.g., through alphabetized artist names to get to “R.” I have not been able to make the little dots that comprise a scroll bar, on the right edge of the screen, to work, and I either overshoot or (worse yet) randomly get thrown back to “A” if I just scroll through everything to get to “R.”

Any hints?

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #4,671 of 6,418
Now for the second part, how does it compare to a Dragonfly Red in pure USB DAC mode, when used with a smartphone?
I have both Dragonfly Red and the M0, also red :) So I spent all evening listening to both. I used an iPhone 6+ with the first version of the CCK. For the audio player I used iAudioGate made by Korg. It is a Hi Res player. All files I played were 16/44 Flacs ripped using Jriver from my CD. I used my Sennheiser IE800 ear buds. So using the M0 in DAC mode vs Dragonfly Red. Surprise! Dragonfly Red is the clear winner. It has a wider soundstage. More authoritative bass that stays where it belongs. Much better clarity and separation of instruments. The DF Red simply sounds noticeably ‘better’. It makes the M0 sound mushy. But the DF Red is a one trick pony and costs twice as much. And the M0 sounds great, has bluetooth with LDAC, holds my entire music collection on a 400gb card with plenty of room for more. I mainly use my M0 as a transport for my Mojo.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #4,672 of 6,418
I have both Dragonfly Red and the M0, also red :) So I spent all evening listening to both. I used an iPhone 6+ with the first version of the CCK. For the audio player I used iAudioGate made by Korg. It is a Hi Res player. All files I played were 16/44 Flacs ripped using Jriver from my CD. I used my Sennheiser IE800 ear buds. So using the M0 in DAC mode vs Dragonfly Red. Surprise! Dragonfly Red is the clear winner. It has a wider soundstage. More authoritative bass that stays where it belongs. Much better clarity and separation of instruments. The DF Red simply sounds noticeably ‘better’. It makes the M0 sound mushy. But the DF Red is a one trick pony and costs twice as much. And the M0 sounds great, has bluetooth with LDAC, holds my entire music collection on a 400gb card with plenty of room for more. I mainly use my M0 as a transport for my Mojo.

Did you try the high again mode on M0, for the IE 800? I find it better than lo-gain. It may not beat the DF Red, but the difference might not be as drastic.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,674 of 6,418
I have a problem scrolling through a lot of info and stopping where I want to, e.g., through alphabetized artist names to get to “R.” I have not been able to make the little dots that comprise a scroll bar, on the right edge of the screen, to work, and I either overshoot or (worse yet) randomly get thrown back to “A” if I just scroll through everything to get to “R.”

Any hints?
Same for me as well :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #4,675 of 6,418

Thanks for the detailed write up (and going through the excruciating process of listening music throughout the evening :wink:)
My priority is sound quality over everything else. I can live with the minor annoyance of the DFR cables.
Sounds like Tidal offline and USB Audio player pro on my phone when paired with DFR will be a better option for me.
I just spent my PayPal balanced that had(the whole reason I had this itch), on a iFi iPurifier3.0 for my desktop setup.
Thanks

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4,676 of 6,418

Any hints?
Someone suggested breaking down a large library into more subsections. So A-D, E-F and so on.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #4,677 of 6,418
Did you try the high again mode on M0, for the IE 800? I find it better than lo-gain. It may not beat the DF Red, but the difference might not be as drastic.
I did not try that but I will and report back. Simply using the M0 as a DAP with the IE800’s I found low gain to be warmer. Hi gain brighter. I had not used the DF Red in a while. I was shocked as all get out at it’s sound quality.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #4,679 of 6,418
I believe you are right. The M0 did sound a bit better on Hi-Gain when used as a DAC. But the DF Red still sounds more like a full size DAC/Amp. Trust me, if I could only choose one, it would the M0. It does so many things well. Quite the little Titan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back