Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #4,022 of 6,413
I have both the M0 and the R3 and except for the Tidal capability, my personal preference based on SQ o is the M0.

I have both and my personal preference based on SQ and support is the M0

I run the M0 at the gym, love it. R3 is going to be my daily driver.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #4,023 of 6,413
I have both the M0 and the R3 and except for the Tidal capability, my personal preference based on SQ o is the M0.

I have both and my personal preference based on SQ and support is the M0

Not to mention much better battery life with the M0 over the R3.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #4,024 of 6,413
Been trying my headphones on low gain at higher volume vs high gain at lower volume. High gain was 50 to 60/100. Low gain I am at 62 to 75/100. I am finding the sound to be slightly less bright, more neutral and smoother with less edge using the same filter. I remember reading an article awhile back that said that most amps and DAP's don't start to open up sound wise until you get above 60% volume. I am finding that to be the case with M0 currently on low gain and volume just over 60%.

I think I will stick with it on low gain, wondering if this will affect the battery life at all?

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #4,025 of 6,413
Been trying my headphones on low gain at higher volume vs high gain at lower volume. High gain was 50 to 60/100. Low gain I am at 62 to 75/100. I am finding the sound to be slightly less bright, more neutral and smoother with less edge using the same filter. I remember reading an article awhile back that said that most amps and DAP's don't start to open up sound wise until you get above 60% volume. I am finding that to be the case with M0 currently on low gain and volume just over 60%.

I think I will stick with it on low gain, wondering if this will affect the battery life at all?

If you are listening at the same db level, then only if it can defy the laws of physics.

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #4,027 of 6,413
If you are listening at the same db level, then only if it can defy the laws of physics.

If you only consider the loudness (dB level at the earphones), then the same output power is being delivered in either High or Low Gain modes.
But, if the gain modes change the supply voltages to the amp circuits, then High Gain may dissipate more supply power as heat in the chips, to deliver the same audio output power to the load - and the battery life will be reduced.

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,028 of 6,413
@Shanling I cannot find output voltage under load in the specs. Only one spec is mentioned - 80mW into 32Ohms.
Can you please elaborate on no-load voltage, either Vrms or Vp-p, alternatively, what's the power output to 300Ohm or 600Ohm loads?

Thanks

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,029 of 6,413
If you only consider the loudness (dB level at the earphones), then the same output power is being delivered in either High or Low Gain modes.
But, if the gain modes change the supply voltages to the amp circuits, then High Gain may dissipate more supply power as heat in the chips, to deliver the same audio output power to the load - and the battery life will be reduced.

Oh, wow. Someone rewrote Ohm's law after I left school.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #4,030 of 6,413
Oh, wow. Someone rewrote Ohm's law after I left school.

Not really - just talking about the efficiency of the amplifier circuits, in regards to battery life - not to the amount of power delivered to the load.
If the amplifier circuit efficiency is different (more or less power dissipated as heat) in High or Low Gain, then when it's delivering the same audio power to the load, the drain on the battery will be different.

Consider the difference between Class A, AB, and D amplifiers, as far as how much supply power they need, in order to deliver the same amount of audio power to a load.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #4,031 of 6,413

I tried over a dozens songs now both listening to each on high gain and low gain at what I perceive to be comparable volume levels and I do hear a difference. Don't ask me to explain it but the sound just seems a little less bright (slightly warmer) on low gain and somehow just a little smoother. Not night and day but still audible, call it the placebo affect or whatever you want but if I am hearing it then I will stick with it. I have heard others comment that using external amps on high gain vs low gain makes a difference sound wise so who knows.

I will do a full battery discharge after recharging see if using low gain makes a difference in battery life. I am sure you guys are right and it won't make a difference and if it does probably very slight. As you say I can't say the volume is bang on listening between low and high gain and I am not able to perfectly volume match but honestly not really concerned about it, just curious.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #4,033 of 6,413
I tried over a dozens songs now both listening to each on high gain and low gain at what I perceive to be comparable volume levels and I do hear a difference. Don't ask me to explain it but the sound just seems a little less bright (slightly warmer) on low gain and somehow just a little smoother. Not night and day but still audible, call it the placebo affect or whatever you want but if I am hearing it then I will stick with it. I have heard others comment that using external amps on high gain vs low gain makes a difference sound wise so who knows.

I will do a full battery discharge after recharging see if using low gain makes a difference in battery life. I am sure you guys are right and it won't make a difference and if it does probably very slight. As you say I can't say the volume is bang on listening between low and high gain and I am not able to perfectly volume match but honestly not really concerned about it, just curious.
Matching the volume between the two to a fraction of a decibel would be the only way of testing a difference if in fact there is one. The human brain is also pretty poor at sound memory that could hear a difference once a relatively small time has passed.

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #4,034 of 6,413
Matching the volume between the two to a fraction of a decibel would be the only way of testing a difference if in fact there is one. The human brain is also pretty poor at sound memory that could hear a difference once a relatively small time has passed.

As the saying goes, perception is everything, if my brain perceives a difference then I hear a difference and that is all that matters. You can explain all the reasons I don't but it doesn't matter if I believe I do so I will stick with what my brain thinks sounds better. :)

I sold very expensive audio gear for many years because people perceived differences in what they heard and they paid more for these differences real or imagined. You could make a lot of money if you could make people think they are hearing what they don't, I certainly did. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #4,035 of 6,413
As the saying goes, perception is everything, if my brain perceives a difference then I hear a difference and that is all that matters. You can explain all the reasons I don't but it doesn't matter if I believe I do so I will stick with what my brain thinks sounds better. :)

I sold very expensive audio gear for many years because people perceived differences in what they heard and they paid more for these differences real or imagined. You could make a lot of money if you could make people think they are hearing what they don't, I certainly did. :L3000:
Yep that is exactly it. Once the mind thinks there may be a difference then there will be even if no difference is there. Double blind tests have proved this many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back