Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,186 of 6,418
Firstly, for anybody without properly working Rar program, here is direct link to the .bin file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1McDRi_p5XuRAiQTYA5VEL6nnwf9BfSGX

@Shanling -

Replies below...

Shorter standby time than 1 minute? For some people even this feels like too short. Also, you don't need to choice either, keep M0 turned on for ever! (or until battery runs out)
No you can only choose Auto-Standby or Auto-shutdown currently.
What if you could choose:
Auto-Standby - 3 min
Auto-shutdown - 30 min
You can't choose BOTH now.

We prefer look with no logo, HR is there just to please the given group of customers. Otherwise, looking 95% of time on same 16/44 seems kind of boring.
I disagree. If I am playing 16/44 or 24/44 or 24/192 I would like to know. The information is there. Why not display it?

We have some improvements with tearing, hoping to get rid of it completely over time.
Great. Is this included in FW v2.0? "Fixed other small problems."

I tried to make all the settings text as short as possible to fit the screen. And in English version, you need to scroll anything in setting very rarely. Of course, some other languages, like German, can be little bit more complicated. But not much we can do about it.
Many song titles don't fit as well as even some of the M0 settings don't fit.
So, it isn't rare if it is in the settings.

Of course you can charge and listen at the same time.
Ok.

It's just basic manual recommendation, theoretically it's safer if you are not using device while charging it.
Why? I charge other mobile devices and listen to them at the same time -- eg iPhone.
Destops of course are plugged in while listening.
I don't understand the "safer". How? Why? I don't think that statement is intuitively obvious.

Hmm, implementing both standby and shutdown at the same time, will ask if it's possible.

We believed that most users have knowledge of their files and what format they are, if not, they can always open the information about the song. Having it constantly displayed on small screen of M0 seemed like waste to us. But it's up to discussion.

Yes, tearing was slightly improved in 2.0, still can be visible.

I meant, in settings, it's on 4 items and once you read them, you will probably never need to scroll on these again.
Song titles, that's different topic, nothing more we can do about them with screen of M0.

Regarding charging, if you open any full manual of modern smartphone, it's very likely you will find there similar information. This is from manual of Honor 9:
"Avoid using your device when it is charging. Do not cover your device or the charger."
Don't think too much about it, it's just standard part of manuals, same as "don't put into microwave".

I'm not sure why the file was rar'd because the update file is only 37.x MBs.

To keep it together with update guide, because as you can see even in this thread, some people have no knowledge how to update. So our hope is, if we will give them guide alongside the update, they will manage it smoothly. :wink:

Please, please give us some sensible EQ options Shanling.

Waiting impatiently for the clip case.

More advanced EQ is in the works.

We will have clip case sooner than we anticipated :wink:

Why not make DAPs that work with the newer (eg modern) exFAT file system.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but this seems very tedious.

Need for FAT32 was mistake of our engineers. Firmware 2.0 fixed this, so in the future, if your device will be already on 2.0+, any update will be possible with exfat and NTFS.

Is this player able to list the song selection based on metadata? Or does it just display the entire file name like every other chinese DAP?

What exactly are you looking for? Our system can sort music over album, artist, composer and genre. It will also do album artist, I explained it to our engineers again last week and they will add it in future(apparently nobody in China has any idea how album artist tag works). Of course it also recognizes song numbers, numbers of CD.

Enough for you or are you looking for something different?

I seem to have a BT connection issue. I can only connect to the first wireless earbuds I have used. Even placing it in the trash can symbol and attempting another wireless earbuds does not work. Any suggestions. Thanks!

Firstly, when trying to pair new headphones, make sure the other one is turned off.
Can you give me more information in Pm what exactly is your M0 doing?

What's this "ghost" problem?

I've updated my M0 with no issues, better swipe it's smother, but the flickering screen it's still visible.
The new firmware was supposed to solve this issue? Or we've to wait for a new version

On few units(currently about 6 out of 2 000 units shipped internationally), there was problem with screen acting on its own. This is fully under warranty and any unit with this problem should be exchanged with your seller.

Well my M0 fell a foot or so and no longer works.

Please PM me to look into this problem.

I was thinking of getting one today, but reading this thread, many problems keeps arising, may be I'll hold back.

A) Brand new product released about month ago.
B) We put out new firmware 3 days ago and we are still working on other small problems.
C) If you still don't believe in M0, I'm sure you will find other 99USD DAPs working better for you.

It seems very fragile.

M0 is made from unibody aluminum and quite hard glass screen, we are quite happy with its durability.

I did test out the EQ's and they are lower volume/sound than having no EQ at all. The profiles of the sound changes, but the overall volume is much lower; I end up needing to increase my volume by 15-20 (50 goes to 65/70 or higher) and the sound stage changes but not in any real way I can enjoy. I'd like a Vocal (for podcasts) ; a Smile (over all V shaped) or to know what the EQ's settings are changing and possibly an option to update/save over them).

Additionally what do the filter options do for an end user? When would we use them? What's the best for usage cases?

PLEASE consider adding an option for text scrolling speed (normal, fast, faster) the human eye can read really quickly.
Also consider adding the ability to trigger the scroll of text for more than 1 line at a time.

EQ on M0 is quite basic and we are working on more advanced EQ for our MTouch system.

Digital filters affect pre and post-ringing and little bit frequency response. If you want to learn more about them, you can start for example with this article from Stereophile and then spend few dozens of hours reading takes on it from different blogs, audio engineers, manufacturers, etc.
For normal users, I will just say, try to change between them to see, which you prefer and if you even hear any difference. Our stock setting is "Minimum Slow"

I updated firmware 2.0, but still have problem on USB transport.
I connected M0 to Mojo using USB OTG cable and played flac music files.
The very beginning of the files are omitted and/or fade in. Not always but often it happens.
If I play the files plugging in earphone on M0, it works fine.
I can't use M0 for this.I hope it will be fixed soon.

We now have one engineer fully devoted to USB output and he is working on making this playback completely problem free.

No luck cleaning it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfroinhzear6vod/IMG_0831.MOV?dl=0

Seller are telling me to update the firmware but I cannot, as I cannot interact

Tell the seller to exchange you the unit(and if not, to talk to me directly) and please PM me name of this seller.

When one streams music from their phone to the M0 using Hiby Link does it stream lossy or losslesly?

Firstly, M0 has no HiBy Link, also HiBy Link never streamed any music, it was just remote control.
If you stream from your phone to M0 over BT, you will use different codecs. On iOS it will be AAC, which is lossy. On modern Androids it will be LDAC, on which Sony claims "Same as CD quality". You can learn more about LDAC here On other devices, it will be basic SBC, also lossy.

Is it possible to use the M0 as a bluetooth transmitter?

So: Source USB connection to M0 then bluetooth AAC to my headphones.

Thank you

Combination of USB in and BT out is not currently supported. We make primarily portable music player, not PC accessory.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 10, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,187 of 6,418
Is anyone using m0 with mojo? How are they matching?

In some DAP / DAC combination, start of songs are cut off by 0.5 sec or so... so I would like to know if that does not happen with m0 and mojo combination

Matches well. No cuts, except with my scalpel.
MVIMG_20180610_215821.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,188 of 6,418
Is anyone using m0 with mojo? How are they matching?

In some DAP / DAC combination, start of songs are cut off by 0.5 sec or so... so I would like to know if that does not happen with m0 and mojo combination

Me personally I have not try yet. Cos I am short of the cable to connect. But saw one of the bro post here. Sometimes there is a Sec delay

Jun 10, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,189 of 6,418
Firstly, for anybody without properly working Rar program, here is direct link to the .bin file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1McDRi_p5XuRAiQTYA5VEL6nnwf9BfSGX

Thanks for the update.bin file.
When I download it to the root drive and "System Update" I get the following sequence:

- Confirm update -> Yes
- Checking FV.
- M0.V2.0
- Restarting
- Update Failed

So, seems to detect FW v2.0. This is on an exFAT micro SD.
Despite the *.bin file do I still need a FAT32 micro SD for this update? (I have a 8GB mSD coming from Amazon).
(I get and appreciate that future FW updates can use exFAT micro SD and that you acknowledge that was an error).

Need for FAT32 was mistake of our engineers. Firmware 2.0 fixed this, so in the future, if your device will be already on 2.0+, any update will be possible with exfat and NTFS.

Mike

EDIT: I'm now on FW v2.0 with a 8GB FAT32 mSD with the update.bin file on it. Thank you all for the patience and help. The UI seems faster now.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,190 of 6,418
Just ordered two M0 DAPs - one for me, and one for a friend.

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #1,191 of 6,418
Thanks for the update.bin file.
When I download it to the root drive and "System Update" I get the following sequence:

- Confirm update -> Yes
- Checking FV.
- M0.V2.0
- Restarting
- Update Failed

So, seems to detect FW v2.0. This is on an exFAT micro SD.
Despite the *.bin file do I still need a FAT32 micro SD for this update? (I have a 8GB mSD coming from Amazon).
(I get and appreciate that future FW updates can use exFAT micro SD and that you acknowledge that was an error).

Mike
You still need to place file on fat32 formatted card. Will work fine then. Shanling has removed this requirement for future firmware updates.

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #1,192 of 6,418
You still need to place file on fat32 formatted card. Will work fine then. Shanling has removed this requirement for future firmware updates.
Thank you for confirming.
Just seemed strange to me that the FW was being detected by M0 but failing to update.
Hopefully all resolved after this.
Downloading more music to my mSD now.

Mike

EDIT: I'm now on FW v2.0 with a 8GB FAT32 mSD with the update.bin file on it. Thank you all for the patience and help. The UI seems faster now.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,194 of 6,418
I just test LDAC receiver mode with Sony NW-A46 But I can't pair both together, can't even find each other devices (open BT function of both devices and find, but nothing found).

If someone use similar combination (Sony DAP+M0), please suggest me proper way to use them together.

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,195 of 6,418
I just test LDAC receiver mode with Sony NW-A46 But I can't pair both together, can't even find each other devices (open BT function of both devices and find, but nothing found).

If someone use similar combination (Sony DAP+M0), please suggest me proper way to use them together.

Doesn't pair up with WM1Z either. It has something to do with limitation of Sony daps. Have no idea what; no issues with smartphones supporting LDAC as everybody else reported successful pair up, while Sony daps are not happy.

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,198 of 6,418
20180611_194844.jpg
Using FW2.0 and Mojo.

When I clicked next/previous song, 7/10 times I heard a cracking sound. They were generally low volume cracking sounds but one or two cracking were loud to hurt the ear a bit.

Does anyone have this problem?

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,199 of 6,418
Since FW 2.0 the connection with a Mac works though it is SBC only. Couldn't succeed to connect it with Apt-X or AAC, not even by forcing the Mac to use Apt-x.

The connection to my iPhone X works with AAC now and volume problem seems to be fixed. In FW 1.5 i had to turn up both devices up to almost max volume to get any sound. Now it's plenty loud on half of the max volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back