Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,426 of 6,418
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,427 of 6,418
One thing I'm missing, that my other DAPs (Shanling M1, M2s, M3s; Cayin N3; Onkyo DP-X1B) can do - is read an .m3u Playlist file, and then play the music tracks.
When I browse to the Playlists folder (where there are 20 .m3u Playlist files), a message pops up, saying "No File Found".

Playlists (like audiobook/podcast bookmark support) used to be basic functionality of the cheapest MP3 players. Now that we are in the era of DAPs, it seems that the manufacturers prioritize audio quality as not just the number one feature, but the only feature, while ease of use and multiple use cases fall to the wayside.

Once M3U lists and bookmarks are implemented, if ever (promises are cheap), the M0 looks like a great little device.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,428 of 6,418
Is the file location for the playlists on the M0 different than your other Shanling DAP's?

No, I have a Music folder that my CDs are ripped into.
That's where I've placed the Playlist folder, and all of my genre folders.
The genre folders contain the artist and album folders, and the tracks are in the album folders.
To put the music on the M0, I just copied the Music folder onto the uSD card.
Everything stays in the same place, relative to the location of the .m3u files in the Playlist folder.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,429 of 6,418
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #1,431 of 6,418
Coming Soon tm, or it's done when it's done :p They are aware of the request and working on it.

Perhaps this page needs an updated faq at the front of the thread?

Added to FAQ.

Nice feature to have yet one that all DAP makers seem to not want to offer unless you can find an old Sony A10/A20 series like my trusty but soon to be retired A17.

Playlists (like audiobook/podcast bookmark support) used to be basic functionality of the cheapest MP3 players. Now that we are in the era of DAPs, it seems that the manufacturers prioritize audio quality as not just the number one feature, but the only feature, while ease of use and multiple use cases fall to the wayside.

Once M3U lists and bookmarks are implemented, if ever (promises are cheap), the M0 looks like a great little device.

Basic MP3 players of old days were completely different products to modern DAP. At that time, DAPs were products for masses and it would serve as only audio source for most people. So it made sense to put all these "common folks" functions inside and it was easier, since these players were created by much bigger companies, building their own software with big software team.

But modern DAP? Whose biggest rival is smartphone in pocket of every single person, having 30 different apps for any sound related function? Phones are providing these basic functionalities to everybody, they are the modern tool for multiple use cases. So of course manufacturers of DAPs must focus on the aspects that phones will not provide. And honestly, when you put out DAP with high quality sound, USB DAC, digital outputs and other Hifi features, it will have much bigger impact than if you add podcasts support.

With M0, we went into dead market of consumer players, where only cheap players from Aliexpress had some sales. And we succeeded (to the standards of Hifi market). But not because of implementing basic features, but because we packed tons of premium features missing from the phones into unique and practical form.

We truly want to make build in app for podcasts/audiobooks, not because we think it will provide any bigger sales, but because we are hearing your comments. It takes some work, need to add new interface, look into all problems of different audio formats used for ebooks, etc. So it will come. But until then, I would be happier if we incorporate other functions. Like possibility to control playback when M0 is used as BT receiver. Or to use USB output while being in BT receiver mdoe. That is unique function not provided by any other player on the market. While the best podcasts player is already in your pocket.

One thing I'm missing, that my other DAPs (Shanling M1, M2s, M3s; Cayin N3; Onkyo DP-X1B) can do - is read an .m3u Playlist file, and then play the music tracks.
When I browse to the Playlists folder (where there are 20 .m3u Playlist files), a message pops up, saying "No File Found".

Yeah, software team somehow didn't put in support of external playlists, apparently not popular function in China. But we talked about it and I was told next firmware update will add it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,432 of 6,418
Basic MP3 players of old days were completely different products to modern DAP. At that time, DAPs were products for masses and it would serve as only audio source for most people. So it made sense to put all these "common folks" functions inside and it was easier, since these players were created by much bigger companies, building their own software with big software team.

But modern DAP? Whose biggest rival is smartphone in pocket of every single person, having 30 different apps for any sound related function? Phones are providing these basic functionalities to everybody, they are the modern tool for multiple use cases. So of course manufacturers of DAPs must focus on the aspects that phones will not provide. And honestly, when you put out DAP with high quality sound, USB DAC, digital outputs and other Hifi features, it will have much bigger impact than if you add podcasts support.

With M0, we went into dead market of consumer players, where only cheap players from Aliexpress had some sales. And we succeeded (to the standards of Hifi market). But not because of implementing basic features, but because we packed tons of premium features missing from the phones into unique and practical form.

We truly want to make build in app for podcasts/audiobooks, not because we think it will provide any bigger sales, but because we are hearing your comments. It takes some work, need to add new interface, look into all problems of different audio formats used for ebooks, etc. So it will come. But until then, I would be happier if we incorporate other functions. Like possibility to control playback when M0 is used as BT receiver. Or to use USB output while being in BT receiver mdoe. That is unique function not provided by any other player on the market. While the best podcasts player is already in your pocket.

Sure, I get that. But, it is a massive pain to have two different audio devices, one to handle podcasts and another to handle music. Some of us (shocker) don't even own smart phones, so our portable music options have been contracting for the past fifteen years from the early MP3 player days of 1999 and 2000, through the heyday of Creative, iRiver, and Rio, through to Apple destroying the market, with Sansa and Sony standing alone until each of them went a peculiar direction of their own. There's a reason there's a market for new-in-box Sansa Clips that were manufactured seven years ago - they worked well.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,433 of 6,418
Sure, I get that. But, it is a massive pain to have two different audio devices, one to handle podcasts and another to handle music. Some of us (shocker) don't even own smart phones, so our portable music options have been contracting for the past fifteen years from the early MP3 player days of 1999 and 2000, through the heyday of Creative, iRiver, and Rio, through to Apple destroying the market, with Sansa and Sony standing alone until each of them went a peculiar direction of their own. There's a reason there's a market for new-in-box Sansa Clips that were manufactured seven years ago - they worked well.
I think @Shanling gets it, but as Frankie explained at length - it would take some time. The good news: they're on it :)

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #1,434 of 6,418
All in all awesome little player , though it would be great if Shanling could decrease screen to bezel ratio both for aesthetic and useability reason . In my mind the screen is far to small for comfortable touch use , especially for people with bigger hands. Also the clip case doesn't inspire confidence it feels somewhat flimsy although it didn't failed while running.

Y-47Ov9uPdifFmKb86Qw7ymh5h_RFYkRHJHszJFzvKi59w2LL_StYY3LFrzv7tbH7fnzzSO0dbcUpXOkS0D9t_qnTLbFL-k0jqC96uutLZKJ4v221TYxgwr7YiiCR9l8EI3nT5X0BcGKOeIE1uyudphdZM_at5WqGOoHlJDapuh_EKcOYQpG46DzeYHk5GpkU7hV_8IxQ9ugH07zMT0L1A3O8LtFMOkEasZrd9U6gVQcKmabL_cDa6tarMzzUcI2ItBiBD2JY6QP7Ipi-FXB2QWI_8aW_0vsn56vVkyn5LCHJcI3ZD6c7vMTSVsD1FNWjU0zzGVaDQXu18mSBRjSYoBnOOyu2rY-8jQYwU8-fDfiyxoezy8oY_pFA90COmXaFjOLyGP3TqDhLgVEiEzXxGHzYDTZNsYBmftC4GdlobdoLrQw57uXA6mX_5SHAnYpvmh1mbJQT89YYEOyUNWhvttH_zxqeudbzOZQWcph3Bv2y3rC5yXQ-1HHY6JWWQlAcjZcMGVyO92vhG--DuSRM4-e3C3YAlqqPOs6R1baAuo2YdYBBpv7BJR1MMVOfzDsoCmuycO4J4tbMmkdtwXwJ-qZNVcwSyIOP556Xxw=w1700-h1275-no

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,436 of 6,418
Any plans on making music library view with sorting ? I prefer album(folder) sorting and by track number in each folder. For example i open whole library with all the tracks on cd card and its sorted by albums/artists, like in android or windows music players. Aimp for example.
8uF7AuD0Z0U.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,437 of 6,418
Just got my M0 today, and I'm enjoying it so far! The 2.0 firmware update installed without a hitch.

So far I only have 2 gripes:

1. When scrolling through via the alphabet thing on the right side of the screen it sometimes locks up and you have to let go of it before trying again.

2. The touch screen doesnt seem to be responsive at times. Most notably when I am trying to swipe using my left thumb while holding the player on my left hand. I dont seem to have the same problem with my right hand. Probably just me though.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #1,438 of 6,418
All in all awesome little player , though it would be great if Shanling could decrease screen to bezel ratio both for aesthetic and useability reason . In my mind the screen is far to small for comfortable touch use , especially for people with bigger hands. Also the clip case doesn't inspire confidence it feels somewhat flimsy although it didn't failed while running.

Y-47Ov9uPdifFmKb86Qw7ymh5h_RFYkRHJHszJFzvKi59w2LL_StYY3LFrzv7tbH7fnzzSO0dbcUpXOkS0D9t_qnTLbFL-k0jqC96uutLZKJ4v221TYxgwr7YiiCR9l8EI3nT5X0BcGKOeIE1uyudphdZM_at5WqGOoHlJDapuh_EKcOYQpG46DzeYHk5GpkU7hV_8IxQ9ugH07zMT0L1A3O8LtFMOkEasZrd9U6gVQcKmabL_cDa6tarMzzUcI2ItBiBD2JY6QP7Ipi-FXB2QWI_8aW_0vsn56vVkyn5LCHJcI3ZD6c7vMTSVsD1FNWjU0zzGVaDQXu18mSBRjSYoBnOOyu2rY-8jQYwU8-fDfiyxoezy8oY_pFA90COmXaFjOLyGP3TqDhLgVEiEzXxGHzYDTZNsYBmftC4GdlobdoLrQw57uXA6mX_5SHAnYpvmh1mbJQT89YYEOyUNWhvttH_zxqeudbzOZQWcph3Bv2y3rC5yXQ-1HHY6JWWQlAcjZcMGVyO92vhG--DuSRM4-e3C3YAlqqPOs6R1baAuo2YdYBBpv7BJR1MMVOfzDsoCmuycO4J4tbMmkdtwXwJ-qZNVcwSyIOP556Xxw=w1700-h1275-no
Like you I have big hands, how hard do you find the touch screen to use?

Frankly it would have been nice if the M0 was about the size of the M1, still small but large enough to be more user friendly. If I had a definitive answer from Shanling about an updated M1 or M2S coming out this fall with M0 functionality and features I would have held off and got one of those. Still glad I ordered my M0 and I am sure I will love it but I am also older in my 50's so a little wary of how hard the screen will be to see. Though videos I have watched of the M0 show a very good screen and viewability looks good. I guess I will just have to wait to get mine in hand to know if it will work for me.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,439 of 6,418
I think everybody is forgetting this is a tiny $100 DAP that plays pretty much everything. I absolutely love it. It sounds even better than the M1 and M2S during an A/B test we did with the Sony XBA-Z5 IEM. Yes, the screen is small and the touch input sometimes hangs and get unresponsive but those are minor stuff.

I love that when i'm on the go, i can connect it via BT LDAC to my Samsung and stream Spotify and it sounds fantastic. However, i found out it won't play audio from games, that defaults back to the phone speakers during games, not sure why

And when i'm driving, i plug it directly into my car's Helix P6 amp USB for USB-Audio and i play alll the Hires files directly via the amp and it sounds fantastic. We also tested it in the car with some Fiio players and AK380 and the m0 is very close in quality...losing slightly to the AK380 but that's 10x the price.
My biggest problem with the m0 is the inability to use a bluetooth controller mounted on the steering wheel to control the tracks. I have to double press the button to skip tracks. Bluetooth would be good so i dun have to lift my hands off the wheel to skip tracks. The Fiio and AK all can do that, even the m2s can..just not the m0

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,440 of 6,418
@fish1050

Its ok, but the back gesture is hit and miss type deal for me , also the inclusion of double click the wheel to skip to next track is a brilliant move , because the on screen buttons are Tiny. Screen is nice and bright and the layout is as good as it could be on such a tiny display.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back