Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #1,441 of 6,418
I think everybody is forgetting this is a tiny $100 DAP that plays pretty much everything. I absolutely love it. It sounds even better than the M1 and M2S during an A/B test we did with the Sony XBA-Z5 IEM. Yes, the screen is small and the touch input sometimes hangs and get unresponsive but those are minor stuff.

I love that when i'm on the go, i can connect it via BT LDAC to my Samsung and stream Spotify and it sounds fantastic. However, i found out it won't play audio from games, that defaults back to the phone speakers during games, not sure why

And when i'm driving, i plug it directly into my car's Helix P6 amp USB for USB-Audio and i play alll the Hires files directly via the amp and it sounds fantastic. We also tested it in the car with some Fiio players and AK380 and the m0 is very close in quality...losing slightly to the AK380 but that's 10x the price.
My biggest problem with the m0 is the inability to use a bluetooth controller mounted on the steering wheel to control the tracks. I have to double press the button to skip tracks. Bluetooth would be good so i dun have to lift my hands off the wheel to skip tracks. The Fiio and AK all can do that, even the m2s can..just not the m0
Lots of good points. @Shanling - any plans for BT AVRCP (Audio / Video Remote Control Profile) support on the M0?

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,444 of 6,418
I think everybody is forgetting this is a tiny $100 DAP that plays pretty much everything. I absolutely love it. It sounds even better than the M1 and M2S during an A/B test we did with the Sony XBA-Z5 IEM. Yes, the screen is small and the touch input sometimes hangs and get unresponsive but those are minor stuff.

I love that when i'm on the go, i can connect it via BT LDAC to my Samsung and stream Spotify and it sounds fantastic. However, i found out it won't play audio from games, that defaults back to the phone speakers during games, not sure why

And when i'm driving, i plug it directly into my car's Helix P6 amp USB for USB-Audio and i play alll the Hires files directly via the amp and it sounds fantastic. We also tested it in the car with some Fiio players and AK380 and the m0 is very close in quality...losing slightly to the AK380 but that's 10x the price.
My biggest problem with the m0 is the inability to use a bluetooth controller mounted on the steering wheel to control the tracks. I have to double press the button to skip tracks. Bluetooth would be good so i dun have to lift my hands off the wheel to skip tracks. The Fiio and AK all can do that, even the m2s can..just not the m0

I am not forgetting anything, but regardless of the price and how good it sounds if it is hard for me to use physically then none of that matters. I will wait until mine is delivered and try it but still nice to get feedback from others.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,445 of 6,418
@fish1050

Its ok, but the back gesture is hit and miss type deal for me , also the inclusion of double click the wheel to skip to next track is a brilliant move , because the on screen buttons are Tiny. Screen is nice and bright and the layout is as good as it could be on such a tiny display.

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to trying it out.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,448 of 6,418
@Shanling where's my EQ and hiby remote .

But seriously, you guys are doing a good job, since I got my M0, I never have to think or missed my old ipod nano 6 again.

Soon as EQ becomes available I think I have no reason to bring my other DAPs while on the go. 2 of my favorite headphones (Cascade, iSine20) needs EQ. Hiby remore will keep the M0 in my pocket and navigate my music better on my phone

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,449 of 6,418
Sure, I get that. But, it is a massive pain to have two different audio devices, one to handle podcasts and another to handle music. Some of us (shocker) don't even own smart phones, so our portable music options have been contracting for the past fifteen years from the early MP3 player days of 1999 and 2000, through the heyday of Creative, iRiver, and Rio, through to Apple destroying the market, with Sansa and Sony standing alone until each of them went a peculiar direction of their own. There's a reason there's a market for new-in-box Sansa Clips that were manufactured seven years ago - they worked well.

I just find it infuriating that even though I have an android device dap there still isn't an app that combines both audiobooks/podcasts and music so I don't have to set things up individually (unless there is and I missed it). Instead I have to use music player of choice and audiobook of choice which is clunky to say the least. Quite frankly if the ipod touch 128 gig did not have a camera (not able to use any device with a camera at work due to security issues)I would have got one of those and been done with the whole dap scene. I wish you hadn't mentioned about new in box sansa clips as now I've got that idea rolling around in my head, though of course no idea what the battery life is in those these days anyway!

Anyway this is edging towards off topic so will close by saying looking forward to amp3/hifiheadphones getting them back in stock soon.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,451 of 6,418
M0 and Fiio Q1

So I just watched the youtube video of the german guy reviewing the M0. The guy has huge sausage fingers and while my hands aren't that big he did look awkward using the M0. I then read a review where the user paired the M0 with a Fiio E12A and really liked the combination. Now I am thinking that the solution for me might be to pair the M0 with my Q1. Along with providing more power the Q1 could serve as a nice hand grip for holding the M0 making it easier to hold in my hand. Yes it reduces the benefit of the M0 small size but it will still make a noticeably smaller stack than with my A17.

Has anyone else tried pairing the M0 with a portable amp?

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,452 of 6,418
M0 and Fiio Q1

So I just watched the youtube video of the german guy reviewing the M0. The guy has huge sausage fingers and while my hands aren't that big he did look awkward using the M0. I then read a review where the user paired the M0 with a Fiio E12A and really liked the combination. Now I am thinking that the solution for me might be to pair the M0 with my Q1. Along with providing more power the Q1 could serve as a nice hand grip for holding the M0 making it easier to hold in my hand. Yes it reduces the benefit of the M0 small size but it will still make a noticeably smaller stack than with my A17.

Has anyone else tried pairing the M0 with a portable amp?
Yup I have been using my M0 with a Lucid Labs Cmoy Mint tin amp. It does work to make the M0 bigger for some although it is a little goofy looking and I'm still trying to figure out what might work as a stacking kit due to the touchscreen on the M0. It does help a little with gripping/manipulating the M0 too.

Personally I'm okay with the size, the M0 was to replace my M1 as my ultra portable. Tendency for me to have a bunch of stuff in my pockets made the M0 sizing another reason why I bought it, the fact that it outshines the M1 in audio was a huge plus. 0

Just for reference on a daily basis in my pockets I have;
  • 2x phones (sometime 3-4)
  • Knife of the day (usually a Butterfly Knife)
  • Bullet Space Pen or Kaweco Liliput Fountain pen
  • Vape (usually a Juul but sometimes a mini box)
  • Wallet
  • Handkerchief
  • DAP of the day (the Hidizs AP200 was really heavy, lol)
zSnSaPv.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,453 of 6,418
Like you I have big hands, how hard do you find the touch screen to use?

Frankly it would have been nice if the M0 was about the size of the M1, still small but large enough to be more user friendly. If I had a definitive answer from Shanling about an updated M1 or M2S coming out this fall with M0 functionality and features I would have held off and got one of those. Still glad I ordered my M0 and I am sure I will love it but I am also older in my 50's so a little wary of how hard the screen will be to see. Though videos I have watched of the M0 show a very good screen and viewability looks good. I guess I will just have to wait to get mine in hand to know if it will work for me.

Exactly my thoughts, I said the same two weeks ago, but I'm afraid the vast majority are more than happy with the nano size.
I bet the new Shanlings will left the wheel in favour of touch screen.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,454 of 6,418
Yup I have been using my M0 with a Lucid Labs Cmoy Mint tin amp. It does work to make the M0 bigger for some although it is a little goofy looking and I'm still trying to figure out what might work as a stacking kit due to the touchscreen on the M0. It does help a little with gripping/manipulating the M0 too.

Personally I'm okay with the size, the M0 was to replace my M1 as my ultra portable. Tendency for me to have a bunch of stuff in my pockets made the M0 sizing another reason why I bought it, the fact that it outshines the M1 in audio was a huge plus. 0

Just for reference on a daily basis in my pockets I have;
  • 2x phones (sometime 3-4)
  • Knife of the day (usually a Butterfly Knife)
  • Bullet Space Pen or Kaweco Liliput Fountain pen
  • Vape (usually a Juul but sometimes a mini box)
  • Wallet
  • Handkerchief
  • DAP of the day (the Hidizs AP200 was really heavy, lol)
zSnSaPv.jpg

Yeah I see your point, I tried cutting a piece of foam to the same size as the M0 to get a feel for the size. I tried stacking it on my Q1 and they look funny together size wise. As for stacking I have been using the command thin velcro strips to stack my A17 and Q1 and other portable amps for 4 years now and it works great. They stick together well and come apart and give full access to the buttons and screen on my A17. Looking at your picture the clip for the M0 which I also ordered could be good with one of my fiio elastic bands. Stacking the M0 with an amp really makes it look less portable. I am hoping I can get by with just the M0 as it should have enough power to drive my headphones. It will be interesting try to the different options to see what works best.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,455 of 6,418
Yeah I see your point, I tried cutting a piece of foam to the same size as the M0 to get a feel for the size. I tried stacking it on my Q1 and they look funny together size wise. As for stacking I have been using the command thin velcro strips to stack my A17 and Q1 and other portable amps for 4 years now and it works great. They stick together well and come apart and give full access to the buttons and screen on my A17. Looking at your picture the clip for the M0 which I also ordered could be good with one of my fiio elastic bands. Stacking the M0 with an amp really makes it look less portable. I am hoping I can get by with just the M0 as it should have enough power to drive my headphones. It will be interesting to the different options to see what works best.
I'll look into the velcro, I've already put my order in on Amazon for the clip... I use Silicon "Graffitti" bands (that's the red rubber band around the CMOY) mainly because they work for other things too but I figured I'd get the clip for the M0 and just attach it that way.
I have a pair of HD6XX's (300 Ohms) and while the M0 can power them I have to use the CMOY amp to get that little bit more that I need to drive the headphones. So my take on it is that the M0 will definitely drive most headphones but the amp combo is still needed for high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back