Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 19, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #4,486 of 6,418
Same here with Windows 7, Ubuntu 18.10 and Xubuntu 18.04.01 on different machines.

Bluetooth connection also works just fine with Ubuntu, Android 8.0 and my two Bang & Olufsen A1.
No problems with firmware 2.3 so far.

Glad to hear you aren't having any issues so it just seems to have been a quirk with my particular unit. It actually makes me a little more uneasy if it is just my unit since another firmware update likely wouldn't have fixed the problem. It is sheer dumb luck it seems that the solution I tried worked. If I had simply stuck with firmware 2.2 and not gone back to 2.3 I might not have been able to use my M0 with my computer again. Here is hoping that Shanling's next firmware update will be the last one needed for the M0!

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #4,487 of 6,418
Glad to hear you aren't having any issues so it just seems to have been a quirk with my particular unit. It actually makes me a little more uneasy if it is just my unit since another firmware update likely wouldn't have fixed the problem. It is sheer dumb luck it seems that the solution I tried worked. If I had simply stuck with firmware 2.2 and not gone back to 2.3 I might not have been able to use my M0 with my computer again. Here is hoping that Shanling's next firmware update will be the last one needed for the M0!
Can't you just revert to the firmware 2.2 version if you think that is the problem? I'm using firmware 2.3 with my M0 and it works just fine as a USB transport.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #4,488 of 6,418
Can't you just revert to the firmware 2.2 version if you think that is the problem? I'm using firmware 2.3 with my M0 and it works just fine as a USB transport.

That is why this is so strange because I did revert back to firmware 2.2. and pin reset the player. But when I connected it to my computer it still was not recognized. I tried multiple USB ports and rebooting my computer but 2.2 was no better. It was only because I didn't think my M0 would be able to connect again to my computer that I flashed the firmware back to 2.3 to have the most current firmware installed. This time after resetting the player and connecting it to my computer it was able to connect and be recognized with firmware 2.3.

With firmware 2.3 the first time I flashed to it when I charged the M0 via an AC outlet the charging animation showed full charge even though the unit was still charging. Something got out of wack in the player for some reason and flashing back and forth between 2.2 and 2.3 fixed whatever got messed up. Just one of those unexplained glitches that corrects itself I guess. I just hope it doesn't happen again the next time I update the firmware.

This experience just reinforces my dislike for the need for constant firmware updates as it only takes one bad update to create problems.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #4,489 of 6,418
That is why this is so strange because I did revert back to firmware 2.2. and pin reset the player. But when I connected it to my computer it still was not recognized. I tried multiple USB ports and rebooting my computer but 2.2 was no better. It was only because I didn't think my M0 would be able to connect again to my computer that I flashed the firmware back to 2.3 to have the most current firmware installed. This time after resetting the player and connecting it to my computer it was able to connect and be recognized with firmware 2.3.

With firmware 2.3 the first time I flashed to it when I charged the M0 via an AC outlet the charging animation showed full charge even though the unit was still charging. Something got out of wack in the player for some reason and flashing back and forth between 2.2 and 2.3 fixed whatever got messed up. Just one of those unexplained glitches that corrects itself I guess. I just hope it doesn't happen again the next time I update the firmware.

This experience just reinforces my dislike for the need for constant firmware updates as it only takes one bad update to create problems.
Nobody else has had a similar problem with either firmware 2.2 or 2.3, and so it is highly unlikely to be a problem with 'constant firmware updates'. It looks much more likely to be some problem with your computer to me.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #4,490 of 6,418

One thing that you haven't mentioned trying, is removing and re-installing the driver on your PC. I do remember having issues with getting the driver, for one of my Shanling DAPs, to install and work correctly on my Win7 PC.

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #4,491 of 6,418
Nobody else has had a similar problem with either firmware 2.2 or 2.3, and so it is highly unlikely to be a problem with 'constant firmware updates'. It looks much more likely to be some problem with your computer to me.

No I ruled out my computer right away, after trying to connect the M0 multiple times on the first try updating to firmware 2.3 and not connecting. I tested all my USB ports on my computer by attaching an external hard drive and a flash drive and they connected with every port without issue. Not to mention the charging animation not working even when charging from a wall outlet. Since switching between firmware updates fixed the issue I am more inclined to think something happened during the first flash update to firmware 2.3. Both problems started after the update so it may not have been the firmware itself but perhaps something went funky while it was updating. The M0 wasn't connected to my computer during the firmware update process. I will likely never know what happened, I just don't want it to happen again. I may just wait until Shanling releases the final firmware update for M0 before updating the firmware just to be safe.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #4,492 of 6,418
No I ruled out my computer right away, after trying to connect the M0 multiple times on the first try updating to firmware 2.3 and not connecting. I tested all my USB ports on my computer by attaching an external hard drive and a flash drive and they connected with every port without issue.

What are you trying to do with your computer - use the M0 as a sound card and send USB audio to it? If so then you need a USB class 2 audio driver on Windows (except the very latest versions AFAIK). USB hard drives and flash drives are USB block devices, not audio devices and so you are not testing whether your Windows computer has the correct USB driver for audio by just plugging in a USB hard drive.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #4,493 of 6,418
Does anyone have occasional burst of static and signal cutout that last about 3 seconds when using the M0 as a bluetooth receiver via SBC, even if I place the M0 next to the source. I'm currently on 2.2 and wonder if 2.3 firmware fix this.

Also, I have 1 second delays when using it with my mac. Unplug and replug works to correct it but the delay comes back 30 later every time. Is this a common problem? I currently don't have other computer to test if this my mac or the m0 fault.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #4,494 of 6,418
What are you trying to do with your computer - use the M0 as a sound card and send USB audio to it? If so then you need a USB class 2 audio driver on Windows (except the very latest versions AFAIK). USB hard drives and flash drives are USB block devices, not audio devices and so you are not testing whether your Windows computer has the correct USB driver for audio by just plugging in a USB hard drive.

No I connect the M0 to my computer to update the music and charge it at the same time. I find direct connecting the M0 to my computer vs having to pry open the microsd card cover on the M0 and removing the card much easier. The transfer speed is almost as fast through direct connection as it is via card reader at least for me. My fingers are pretty beat up from years of working on computers and the card slot cover on the M0 is a pain to open. I have used the M0 as a USB DAC before with earlier firmware versions and got it working fine. I just couldn't get the computer to see the M0 at all as either a USB device or DAC on the first update to firmware 2.3.

Someone I like and respect who has both the M0 and Fiio M6 is recommending the M6 over the M0 even for sound quality. I am definitely leaning towards selling my M0 and getting the M6 when it becomes available here. The M0 has been a nice little DAP and gotten me through the last several months quite nicely for my portable music needs. At this point I just think I will be happier with something more functional with the bigger screen and hardware buttons. One of my nephews loves my M0 and will buy it from me in a heartbeat and he won't struggle nearly as much with the small screen as I do.

This won't be my only experience with Shanling DAP's I am sure and I look forward to seeing the next M2 or M3 that comes out, maybe even later this year. I did help Shanling out a little with sales as 4 people who demoed my M0 have now bought their own.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #4,496 of 6,418
I'm wondering why the M0 is claimed to have an 80mW output power on a 32 ohms load when the ESS Sabre 9218p internal HP amps are presented as producing a 2.0Vrms output (http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422), which would produce 125mW on a 32 ohms load (P = V²/R).

An associated question would be what does Low/High gain can mean on a DAC which has a digital input. I would be surprised that the digital input is rescaled, with a clipping or resolution loss risk (possibly at the internal 32 bits stage, however). I would tend to assume it is done at the analog stage of the DAC which could mean that the output power is 80mW at low gain and 125 only at high gain?

Anyone with an oscilloscope and an M0 to look at and measure the output voltage at low/high gain maximum volume?

Well, it's just curiosity since I already bought an M0 and I'm happy to say that it can drive my AKG 702 decently (but high gain and 80% volume is one of my typical usage for classical music). I still need to explore settings and compare with my previous DAC (a Fiio K1 which has a >35mW output power on 32 ohms and no internal gain/volume settings).

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #4,497 of 6,418
I'm wondering why the M0 is claimed to have an 80mW output power on a 32 ohms load when the ESS Sabre 9218p internal HP amps are presented as producing a 2.0Vrms output (http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422), which would produce 125mW on a 32 ohms load (P = V²/R).

An associated question would be what does Low/High gain can mean on a DAC which has a digital input. I would be surprised that the digital input is rescaled, with a clipping or resolution loss risk (possibly at the internal 32 bits stage, however). I would tend to assume it is done at the analog stage of the DAC which could mean that the output power is 80mW at low gain and 125 only at high gain?

Anyone with an oscilloscope and an M0 to look at and measure the output voltage at low/high gain maximum volume?

Well, it's just curiosity since I already bought an M0 and I'm happy to say that it can drive my AKG 702 decently (but high gain and 80% volume is one of my typical usage for classical music). I still need to explore settings and compare with my previous DAC (a Fiio K1 which has a >35mW output power on 32 ohms and no internal gain/volume settings).

Isn't 2V the max power rating at line out for that chip? Also, that 2 V RMS output isn't quoted at any impedance from that page, as far as I can tell (?)

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #4,498 of 6,418
Isn't 2V the max power rating at line out for that chip? Also, that 2 V RMS output isn't quoted at any impedance from that page, as far as I can tell (?)

The M0 as an output control where line out can be selected and it looks exactly the same as max. volume (this is also what it writes on its screen when you select Line Out). The internal impedance is claimed to be low (I think I read 0.7 ohms somewhere, would need to look again).

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #4,499 of 6,418
well with so many praise for M0 recently, does anybody know if M2S or M3S is an upgrade to M0? or sound completely different?!
hesitated to buy M2S, im just not fan of any dap with AK DAC...that sound signature doesn't appeal to me.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #4,500 of 6,418
well with so many praise for M0 recently, does anybody know if M2S or M3S is an upgrade to M0? or sound completely different?!
hesitated to buy M2S, im just not fan of any dap with AK DAC...that sound signature doesn't appeal to me.

Do you have M0 and want to upgrade?

I have both M2s and M0, I don't really think M2s is an upgrade sonically, or that it sounds too different. If anything, M0 is a bit more neutral, while M2s a tad smoother, but the differences are not big

Users who are viewing this thread

Back