Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #4,456 of 6,418
The M0 is, in my view, one of those audiophile miracles. How a $109 machine can sound so darned good is a pleasant mystery.
I totally agree.
2 of my friends already bought M0 after I recommended it to them. Both were looking to replace a VERY old Apple iPods (a shuffle and a nano). Both very happy! :)

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4,457 of 6,418
Love my M0, the only thing it lacks for me is bass. Not that it doesn't have bass but my other DAP running Hiby 3.0 app with MSEB can be adjusted to hit the low low sub bass notes so well. The M0's EQ is a little lacking. The EX Bass setting also makes the other frequencies "muted". I know the M0 isn't a bass monster but that's about the only thing I'm missing right now.

Otherwise fantastic DAP for the price and form factor. Hopefully the EQ fro. The M5s will make it to the M0 and fix this little issue of mine. Lol

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #4,458 of 6,418
@Shanling Is there any way to be contacted when a new firmware for the M0 is released? Just so I don't have to monitor the thread all the time.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to get firmware updates, alongside random mix of photos and announcements.

We are launching our new website soon, hopefully will add email subscription later, so I can bother people even in their emails. That would include email on new firmware release.

@Shanling , just wanted to confirm that this issue is on someones radar to look into. Can you just let me know if you have relayed the issue to the developers? I'm sure there's no immediate fix, but I just want to make sure the issue is reviewed at some point since i now have two bad units with the same issue. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Looking into it, but found no software problem that could be causing it.

So I would recommend to reach out to your seller and send both of these in for warranty. They will slowly get back to us and we will be able to have a look, if anything actually happened to hardware inside.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #4,459 of 6,418
So I reached for the M0 this morning, to top off the battery, before leaving to work. I keep M0 and the Tin Audio T2 in a hard Trinity Audio case. NO M0! Panic. Where is M0? Look every where. Getting worried. Already thinking of ordering another M0. Do I stay with Purple? Change to a different color case?

In desperation I dug out the old Sandisk Fuze. Must have something to listen to at work. Luckily, as I was leaving, found the M0 had fallen out of my pocket and into the recliner. Not sure how it fell out. The triangular Trinity case tends to get stuck in a pocket. Doesn't matter. Took M0 to work and all was well. Whew.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #4,460 of 6,418
So your calling me a liar?

I can only go by my personal experience and I have seen the damaged iphones to prove it. I was actually with my niece when she dropped her iphone about 1.5 feet onto the kitchen floor. It now has about a 1.5" crack in the middle of the screen. That is all the proof I need and no one will ever convince me to way overpay for an iphone. Especially, since it doesn't support AptX or LDAC bluetooth. Whats the point in getting rid of the headphone jack if you won't support high quality bluetooth? Dumb ass move, Enough said!!

Speak for yourself and not others, and if it isn't the correct forum then why did you respond to my post?

Lets agree to disagree and move on!!
I thought that you would have to reply. Yes I disagree with you so yes end of and move on.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #4,461 of 6,418
The M0 is, in my view, one of those audiophile miracles. How a $109 machine can sound so darned good is a pleasant mystery. I have a Shanling USB cable for connection to a Mojo because I really thought that a Mojo was in my future. But then I started grooving on my two current Shanlings and my Cayin and the Mojo idea just sort of sailed away. And yes I have heard the Mojo and yes its magical but then again so are my current units and there is something to be said for integrated and small devices.

Yes I'm a bit miffed in fact, lol, as my mojo is now relegated firmly to desk use. I think it's mainly down to the Sabre dac, TBH. I have the V30 LG phone and had similar blown away experiences with that. The M0 does sound v similar in sig, not surprisingly.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #4,463 of 6,418
@Shanling

Just discovered a new problem after updating to firmware 2.3. I connected my M0 to my Windows 7 computer to add a few tracks and my computer no longer recognizes my unit. The screen shows the battery fully charged screen even though it is still charging. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting several times and also tried to reboot with the M0 connected and it still does not see my unit. I confirmed the USB option is set to USB and not DAC. I have never had this problem after any other firmware updates.

I did a system reset after I did the firmware update as always. Any idea what else I can try?

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #4,464 of 6,418
Yes I'm a bit miffed in fact, lol, as my mojo is now relegated firmly to desk use. I think it's mainly down to the Sabre dac, TBH. I have the V30 LG phone and had similar blown away experiences with that. The M0 does sound v similar in sig, not surprisingly.
Don’t be miffed, be amazed. I recently sold a bunch of mid range gear I’d accumulated over time and am satisfied that the m0 is as good as sound as any of them. More money to spend on hi res downloads.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #4,465 of 6,418
Don’t be miffed, be amazed. I recently sold a bunch of mid range gear I’d accumulated over time and am satisfied that the m0 is as good as sound as any of them. More money to spend on hi res downloads.

very true. We live in a great time for good audio at low cost. Couple the M0 with a great pair of ultraportable speakers like the iLoud Micro Monitors and you're set up with a micro hifi system which will hold up against much larger and complicated systems :)

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4,466 of 6,418
@Shanling

Just discovered a new problem after updating to firmware 2.3. I connected my M0 to my Windows 7 computer to add a few tracks and my computer no longer recognizes my unit. The screen shows the battery fully charged screen even though it is still charging. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting several times and also tried to reboot with the M0 connected and it still does not see my unit. I confirmed the USB option is set to USB and not DAC. I have never had this problem after any other firmware updates.

I did a system reset after I did the firmware update as always. Any idea what else I can try?
Interesting. Haven't had time to do the update yet. Wouldn't have caught this as I always use a card reader to transfer files. I will wait a little longer to update. Thanks for the info.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,467 of 6,418
Interesting. Haven't had time to do the update yet. Wouldn't have caught this as I always use a card reader to transfer files. I will wait a little longer to update. Thanks for the info.

I tried transferring tracks direct to the player and via card reader. I found direct is almost as fast and less of a hassle having to pry open the card slot cover and remove the card. But I had to use the card reader to add some new tracks this time. I tried to do another reset from the card slot pin hole but no go. I also found that even when charging from an outlet the battery indicator shows fully charged even though it is still charging. Debating on whether or not to flash back to firmware 2.2 or live with it until 2.4 or 3.0 gets released.

I have to say I am getting tired of all the firmware updates and delays and now this latest hiccup. Seriously looking a the Fiio M6 as an alternative once it gets released here. Won't buy another Shanling DAP again until all firmware is released however long that takes. It is to bad as I have really grown to like how the M0 sounds and it would be a shame to have to sell it after all these months.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #4,468 of 6,418
:fingers_crossed:

I had a problem for a few days on 2.3 where it wouldn't connect to my Ubuntu laptop until I pressed the reset button.
Also, I primarily use it at work, plugged into a charger, for a few days, when plugged into the charger, it wouldn't switch on so I had to unplug it and set it playing then plug the cable back in.
Okay atm but who knows when they will recur.
Just observing, not complaining.
Nothing that I can't easily cope with and problem solving is part of the joy of any IT.
Now if I could just find out how to set bookmarks in files.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,469 of 6,418
I tried transferring tracks direct to the player and via card reader. I found direct is almost as fast and less of a hassle having to pry open the card slot cover and remove the card. But I had to use the card reader to add some new tracks this time. I tried to do another reset from the card slot pin hole but no go. I also found that even when charging from an outlet the battery indicator shows fully charged even though it is still charging. Debating on whether or not to flash back to firmware 2.2 or live with it until 2.4 or 3.0 gets released.

I have to say I am getting tired of all the firmware updates and delays and now this latest hiccup. Seriously looking a the Fiio M6 as an alternative once it gets released here. Won't buy another Shanling DAP again until all firmware is released however long that takes. It is to bad as I have really grown to like how the M0 sounds and it would be a shame to have to sell it after all these months.

In my experience you won't get as good software or customer service from Fiio

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #4,470 of 6,418
In my experience you won't get as good software or customer service from Fiio

I don't know there are a ton of dealers in Toronto that carry Fiio products especially compared to Shanling. I had a very easy experience returning an E07K and when I bought my Q1 the dealer told me he would honor the warranty even after the 1 year expired. So far there doesn't seem to be any real problems reported with the M6 and it was released with a pretty full feature set compared to the M0. I took a flyer on the M0 and the M6 should only be about $50.00 more so not much more of a risk financially.

I have to say the much larger touchscreen and physical buttons makes it pretty appealing vs the M0 and worth a demo at least. Alot will depend on Shanling and what they do with the future firmware updates. For me to keep my M0 they need to fix this hiccup with it not being recognized by my computer and add replaygain. Would like to see what the MTouch 2.0 updates will do for the M0 functionality as well.

Time will tell which will come first the M6 coming to Canada or Shanling getting the firmware updates released. At some point I have to think they will start working on whatever DAP's they will release for 2019 if they haven't already and that could slow the M0 firmware updates even more. So for now all I can do is wait and watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back