Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #4,502 of 6,418
20180712_202850.jpg Speaking of which, I found a small handful of those little Acco clips I posted with my case if anyone is interested. Happy to mail one for a buck.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,503 of 6,418
I'm wondering why the M0 is claimed to have an 80mW output power on a 32 ohms load when the ESS Sabre 9218p internal HP amps are presented as producing a 2.0Vrms output (http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422), which would produce 125mW on a 32 ohms load

My impression is that at 32 ohm output impedance the current output limitation comes into play. 80 mW at 32 ohm means 1.6 V and 50 mA. If 50 mA is the output limit, max voltage of 2V can be reached at 40 ohms output inpedance.
Likewise, with even smaller output impedance the output power would be even smaller, for example with 16 ohms output impedance and 50 mA current output, the power would be just 40 mW and voltage would be just 0.8 V

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #4,504 of 6,418
@fish1050 Interesting problem with M0, didn't get any similar report, but glad reflashing firmware fixed it.

:fingers_crossed:

I had a problem for a few days on 2.3 where it wouldn't connect to my Ubuntu laptop until I pressed the reset button.
Also, I primarily use it at work, plugged into a charger, for a few days, when plugged into the charger, it wouldn't switch on so I had to unplug it and set it playing then plug the cable back in.
Okay atm but who knows when they will recur.
Just observing, not complaining.
Nothing that I can't easily cope with and problem solving is part of the joy of any IT.
Now if I could just find out how to set bookmarks in files.

I thought I had this problem yesterday. When I connected M0 to the computer it just showed the battery charging image and then turned off because the battery was already full.

I then turned M0 on to check the settings. With the Now Playing screen visible I tried to connect again and this time it worked straight away. Maybe then the trick is to turn M0 on first before connecting. Here's hoping that works for you too.

On the subject of turning on, I found a similar issue when using M0 as a DAC for my Win 7 laptop. If M0 is off, the driver doesn't load. Turning it on after connecting doesn't help either. Again it is necessary to turn M0 on first and then connect to the pc.

Our software team did some changes to the way how are M0 and M5s charging, to prevent overcharging. But they didn't set it properly, so if you now connect 100% charged device to charger or computer, you were not able to turn it on. Need to remove cable, turn it on and then put it on charger again.
It's error and will be fixed.

Hi to the Shanling team,

This little MP3 player is great though there are a few ergonomic issues.
Since the screen is so small and touch precision is not perfect I would suggest you add a "Gesture Mode".
Let me explain myself :

- Add a cursor highlighting a menu or a track (eg. : the background of the line could change color),
- Make it move up or down by swiping in the same, or opposite direction, depending on if "natural" or "regular" scrolling is preferred,
- Swipe from left to right to go back to the previews screen (as it already does behave),
- Swipe from right to left to display options about the highlighted item (add to playlist, add to favorites, delete, play next, play last, move, etc),
- Swipe from right-hand upper or lower corner to browse by letter,
- Tap anywhere on the screen to select the highlighted menu or play the track,
- Tap and hold to display information about the highlighted menu or track,
- Double tap to go back to the home menu.

That way you can get rid of the dots next to the tittle for options and the dots for fast scrolling to display longer tittles and also display smaller, ie. more, lines on each screen (since tapping precision isn't a issue anymore).

I have some other UI improvements suggestions that I would gladly share if you are interested.
UX is something I am very passionate about.

Interesting idea for touch screen. Just thinking how would you need to set scrolling? You need precise movements, so highlight can get on the exact item you want. But at the same time, that would extremely slow down any browsing of bigger lists.

I'm having no luck getting the M0 to connect to a my iBasso D14 DAC/amp via USB-C to SPDIF cable.

Are there specific settings I have to change in the System menu to get the SPDIF connection to function? I've tried everything with no success so far.

When I connect my Hiby H3 to the same DAC using the same cable, it just works with no issues.

The USB-C to SPDIF cable is Hiby branded if thst matters?

M0 has only USB out. TO use this cable, device need to have inside different hardware set for coaxial output.

Really? I thought this is how people are using M0 wuth their Mojo?

All of them using USB cable. We even make one specially for Mojo, Shanling L2.

Does anyone have occasional burst of static and signal cutout that last about 3 seconds when using the M0 as a bluetooth receiver via SBC, even if I place the M0 next to the source. I'm currently on 2.2 and wonder if 2.3 firmware fix this.

Also, I have 1 second delays when using it with my mac. Unplug and replug works to correct it but the delay comes back 30 later every time. Is this a common problem? I currently don't have other computer to test if this my mac or the m0 fault.

Firmware 2.3 have some improvements to overall BT connectivity and especially some additional fixes to SBC codec.

USB DAC delay is unfortunately problem of M0.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,505 of 6,418
@fish1050
USB DAC delay is unfortunately problem of M0.

Thanks for taking time and directly answer all users questions. It's rare for me to see a company is this in touch with the customers.

So is this DAC delay problem a hardware limitation or software issue that will hopefully be addressed in the future?
For the most part I've been very please using the M0 as a portable solution to filter out static and get a clean signal from pc with crappy old sound cards; and I'm very much intent to continued using it as such for a long time.

I also updated my M0 to the latest firmware (2.3) but the cut out and statics still persist, and it occurs a bit more frequent now. Is there any other thing I could try to remedy this?

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,506 of 6,418
Thanks for taking time and directly answer all users questions. It's rare for me to see a company is this in touch with the customers.

So is this DAC delay problem a hardware limitation or software issue that will hopefully be addressed in the future?
For the most part I've been very please using the M0 as a portable solution to filter out static and get a clean signal from pc with crappy old sound cards; and I'm very much intent to continued using it as such for a long time.

I also updated my M0 to the latest firmware (2.3) but the cut out and statics still persist, and it occurs a bit more frequent now. Is there any other thing I could try to remedy this?

Probably something that needs fixing in software.

Can you try it in BT receiver mode with different source and with different codec than just basic SBC?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #4,507 of 6,418
Probably something that needs fixing in software.

Can you try it in BT receiver mode with different source and with different codec than just basic SBC?

So I tried it with my phone which use AAC, same problems, heavy static and cut off every 5 min.

However, I tried resetting to factory setting and the problem seems to subdue.

SBC stills have that statics and sometimes, and complete silence for a good 30 sec every now and then but at much more acceptable rate now (I'd say every 1-2 hours). So I guess that's normal for Bluetooth connection? But the effective range is very short, I have to sit within 5 feet from my sources, otherwise the static will come in and cut out happens constantly, which won't go away until I restart the Bluetooth (turn off and on) on M0.

AAC on the other hand seems to work fine even at long range.

One last thing, is shutting itself down when it's fully charged normal behavior for the M0?

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #4,508 of 6,418
Hi all,
Just bought an M0 (coming from a previous M1). Love the thing. Seems there's still some issues with the m3u playlists when the song has special characters in the metadata.Saw previous comments that you're still working on both things so I don't care much.

Example: In the below file the M0 only shows until song 3 (releaser). As if the playlist only included those 3 songs. FW: 2.3 so it's on the latest update.
M1 can handle it okay (no problems whatsoever with this same playlist), and even when it can't handle it, shows as a file that can't play or some errors in the name and skips it.
{38109733-A32F-47C9-81BD-D370E26DE7BC}.png.jpg

Also, felt that the leather case would benefit from a lanyard attachment so I modded mine. Even made me a leather Shanling lanyard from an old elastic lanyard I had around. Ended up all super solid and secure (Don't wan't to drop this little guy).
Pictures below. :slight_smile:

IMG_20190123_124804.jpg IMG_20190123_124818.jpg IMG_20190123_124847.jpg IMG_20190123_125030_1.jpg IMG_20190123_125113_1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #4,509 of 6,418
Hi all,
Just bought an M0 (coming from a previous M1). Love the thing. Seems there's still some issues with the m3u playlists when the song has special characters in the metadata.Saw previous comments that you're still working on both things so I don't care much.

Example: In the below file the M0 only shows until song 3 (releaser). As if the playlist only included those 3 songs. FW: 2.3 so it's on the latest update.
M1 can handle it okay (no problems whatsoever with this same playlist), and even when it can't handle it, shows as a file that can't play or some errors in the name and skips it.

It looks like there are two things that happen simultaneously in the fourth song title - The name has a character with an accent, and there's now three "periods / decimal points" in the file name (one after the "04", one after "Feat", and one before "mp3").
I suppose either of these could cause issues with the embedded Linux OS and Music Player software.

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #4,511 of 6,418
It looks like there are two things that happen simultaneously in the fourth song title - The name has a character with an accent, and there's now three "periods / decimal points" in the file name (one after the "04", one after "Feat", and one before "mp3").
I suppose either of these could cause issues with the embedded Linux OS and Music Player software.

Can't be the triple period since I just checked on other playlists with the same scenario "0x. Song Name [Feat. someone].mp3" and I could play it without problems.
I actually think it's the accented letters, but it's not in the file name, it's on the metadata.

All this playlist were made for the M1 and it plays them all correctly. I know it's a different OS and all, but it's all linux based I think.
So I guess it could be corrected via firmware?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #4,512 of 6,418
Can't be the triple period since I just checked on other playlists with the same scenario "0x. Song Name [Feat. someone].mp3" and I could play it without problems.
I actually think it's the accented letters, but it's not in the file name, it's on the metadata.

All this playlist were made for the M1 and it plays them all correctly. I know it's a different OS and all, but it's all linux based I think.
So I guess it could be corrected via firmware?

Yes, most all of the compact DAPs are running some sort of embedded Linux under the hood (even Android is based on Linux).
So, the difference is the Music Player software - the M1, M2s, M3s all run HiBy Music Player; and the M0 & M5s both run the Shanling in-house developed Music Player.
The new units have some known issues with accented fonts, which I believe @Shanling is working on.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #4,513 of 6,418
Yes, most all of the compact DAPs are running some sort of embedded Linux under the hood (even Android is based on Linux).
So, the difference is the Music Player software - the M1, M2s, M3s all run HiBy Music Player; and the M0 & M5s both run the Shanling in-house developed Music Player.
The new units have some known issues with accented fonts, which I believe @Shanling is working on.

I believe so too. Been reading this thread while waiting for my M0 to arrive from China (I know warranty and whatnot).
Seems special characters are an ongoing bug still, and m3u playlist adoption is very recent.

So I guess OS still needs some maturity but the DAP is great. Lots of power and battery.
Whenever the app works for the link thing, that'll be very welcome.

I used to use the OTG from the M1 with a USB drive all the time when checking the metadata.
Hope that option comes in the future.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,514 of 6,418

It is likely that this is a problem of character encoding (UTF8/Unicode vs ISO8859 or ASCII for example). It may be non-trivial to detect this from the appearance of the text alone. For a triple period, for example, it can be represented either as three independent dots "..." or as the Unicode character U+2026 (HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS) here: … It would need a test for sure, but it's not unlikely that the M0 will choke on the second one, not the first.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,515 of 6,418
It is likely that this is a problem of character encoding (UTF8/Unicode vs ISO8859 or ASCII for example). It may be non-trivial to detect this from the appearance of the text alone. For a triple period, for example, it can be represented either as three independent dots "..." or as the Unicode character U+2026 (HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS) here: … It would need a test for sure, but it's not unlikely that the M0 will choke on the second one, not the first.

Yeah I got you. Saw something similar happening with apostrophes. Some were okay, some would make the player struggle.
All this happened before when making the whole media library work well for the M1. So I think that now it's all some quirks from the M0.

File names were all batch rewritten using the Mp3tag program. Characters are all same encoding. I also did some batch removing accented characters from the filenames (and correcting apostrophes, heh).
I keep thinking that it is the accented characters from the metadata. All playlists consistently fail when there are special characters in the metadata. The one above is just an example.

Franky ( @Shanling ) what do you think?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back