Shanling M0 Pro - Ultra-Portable Hi-Fi Player, Now With Balanced Output!
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #526 of 800
i cant seem to access shanling's website to download the 1.4 update can someone send me the file please

Sorry for this, website should now be back and running

https://en.shanling.com/article-M0ProV14.html

does it remember resume positions in multiple files? Can I pause the playback of one file, go listen to another file and then come back and resume the first file?

No, remember just position in the last plated file.

Thanks! Unfortunately, my default navigation method is Artist-Album so no joy there. Hopefully Shanling will increase the limits in a future firmware version.

Not likely, as our software team wants to keep this limit in place to assure smooth system performance.

If you follow artist-album sorting, it can be done quite easily in Folder browsing too. Depends on how are your file folders managed.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 4, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #528 of 800
I can't believe no one has made a clip case for this thing yet :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #529 of 800
I received this in green about 2 days ago. Initially sounded a bit digital, but after some burn-in it is sounding more smooth - which seems to be the Shanling 'house' sound consistent with their latest DAPs which I auditioned in March around the time of the Singapore CanJam.
My impression of the balanced output is that it is more dynamic, but loses a bit of soundstage. So, the unbalanced output may suit those seeking a more relaxed and slightly more expansive sound signature.
Out of the box firmware 1.3 was a mess. Long presses were hit or miss which made the unit frustrating to say the least. Glad to say that 1.4 has made the world of difference. If only the touch screen sensitivity could be turned up a notch...
I bought this primarily as a transport to feed a Chord Mojo 2. Initially, it wasn't as impressive to me as the Mojo 2 and Poly combination, but after some burn-in again, the sound has elevated. I also think that some more burn-in will yield more improvements. At least, I hope it's not my brain burning-in rather than the unit!
Played this with Focal Bathys on a plane trip using aptX and the connection was solid. For the size of it, considering that it also has LDAC, it's quite a gem. I echo the sentiment that it needs an accessory that has a clip or a watch band. It reminds me so much of the Ipod Nano that was in this form factor, but considering that one can put a 1TB micro SC card in it with high quality music files, the mind boggles at how far portable audio has progressed, also keeping in mind the reasonable price of the unit.

One thing that is still bugging me though that I have to ask and which no one has seemed to mention: I can't set the time correctly.

In the time setting screen, I can select what I want, but how does one confirm the setting and get it to stick as no matter what I do, the time reverts to the original factory time setting.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #530 of 800
I received this in green about 2 days ago. Initially sounded a bit digital, but after some burn-in it is sounding more smooth - which seems to be the Shanling 'house' sound consistent with their latest DAPs which I auditioned in March around the time of the Singapore CanJam.
My impression of the balanced output is that it is more dynamic, but loses a bit of soundstage. So, the unbalanced output may suit those seeking a more relaxed and slightly more expansive sound signature.
Out of the box firmware 1.3 was a mess. Long presses were hit or miss which made the unit frustrating to say the least. Glad to say that 1.4 has made the world of difference. If only the touch screen sensitivity could be turned up a notch...
I bought this primarily as a transport to feed a Chord Mojo 2. Initially, it wasn't as impressive to me as the Mojo 2 and Poly combination, but after some burn-in again, the sound has elevated. I also think that some more burn-in will yield more improvements. At least, I hope it's not my brain burning-in rather than the unit!
Played this with Focal Bathys on a plane trip using aptX and the connection was solid. For the size of it, considering that it also has LDAC, it's quite a gem. I echo the sentiment that it needs an accessory that has a clip or a watch band. It reminds me so much of the Ipod Nano that was in this form factor, but considering that one can put a 1TB micro SC card in it with high quality music files, the mind boggles at how far portable audio has progressed, also keeping in mind the reasonable price of the unit.

One thing that is still bugging me though that I have to ask and which no one has seemed to mention: I can't set the time correctly.

In the time setting screen, I can select what I want, but how does one confirm the setting and get it to stick as no matter what I do, the time reverts to the original factory time setting.
I found if I rebooted right after setting the time without leaving the time screen my settings stuck.

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #531 of 800
I found if I rebooted right after setting the time without leaving the time screen my settings stuck.
Thanks for the tip. I tried re-booting from the Clock screen. No dice.

However, when I swiped right after setting the time. The time stuck. Then I re-booted, and the time did not revert to factory!

Hopefully that does the trick:)

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #532 of 800
Ahaa!!! Yes, I had forgotten about the swipe coming before I rebooted!

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #534 of 800
Guys I found out that whenever you have the bad battery level indication after charging up the device, you don't need to power it off and back on for it to show the correct level. All you need to do is to plug the device into the charger for one second so that the battery level indicator bars start to animate. Unplug and voila.
I know it ain't a fix but it saves time. Cheers

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #535 of 800
Guys I found out that whenever you have the bad battery level indication after charging up the device,

First time I hear of this problem on a M0 Pro :scream:

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #536 of 800
A couple of weeks in and I'm really enjoying mine. Now using LDAC on normal and connection is stable over a short distance. I've now made a necklace out of mine so it isn't far from my ears :smile:

IMG_20230709_190412.jpg

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #537 of 800
I have seen some review comparisons mentioning the Fiio M5, but was after some more real world feedback and the M5 thread is dead.....
When I replace my phone in the near future and lose the sd card feature, I'm looking at a mini dap to take over the role of music playing with my Sony Linkbuds S and work vehicle bluetooth speaker. The important factors are size, bluetooth stability and a smooth UI.
I recently found a low cost secondhand Fiio M5 to get a feel for the form factor using a small screen. I have updated to the the latest firmware/bluetooth version. Today was the first day I got to spend any time with it and for most part it ticks the boxes, but there were a few niggles which I'm not yet sure are quirks of the firmware, device or my imperfect swipes and gestures. I'm sure it did actually freeze up at one point yesterday when I was setting it up.
I have nothing against Fiio, but as the M5 is an older product and the thread seems inactive, I am wondering if the M0 Pro is a safer option for ongoing official product support and owner (thread) activity?
Has anyone owned both and found any issues with either that may make one a better choice than the other? I've never got my head around bluetooth tech, I always thought that the device/dap was just a transport but noticed that the M5 EQ works via bluetooth. Is it the same for the M0 Pro.
Thanks

*just had it freeze up again

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #538 of 800
I have seen some review comparisons mentioning the Fiio M5, but was after some more real world feedback and the M5 thread is dead.....
When I replace my phone in the near future and lose the sd card feature, I'm looking at a mini dap to take over the role of music playing with my Sony Linkbuds S and work vehicle bluetooth speaker. The important factors are size, bluetooth stability and a smooth UI.
I recently found a low cost secondhand Fiio M5 to get a feel for the form factor using a small screen. I have updated to the the latest firmware/bluetooth version. Today was the first day I got to spend any time with it and for most part it ticks the boxes, but there were a few niggles which I'm not yet sure are quirks of the firmware, device or my imperfect swipes and gestures. I'm sure it did actually freeze up at one point yesterday when I was setting it up.
I have nothing against Fiio, but as the M5 is an older product and the thread seems inactive, I am wondering if the M0 Pro is a safer option for ongoing official product support and owner (thread) activity?
Has anyone owned both and found any issues with either that may make one a better choice than the other? I've never got my head around bluetooth tech, I always thought that the device/dap was just a transport but noticed that the M5 EQ works via bluetooth. Is it the same for the M0 Pro.
Thanks

*just had it freeze up again
I have both the M5 and M0 Pro.
The M5 may have been a king of micro-daps back in the past, but it clearly shows its age. Aside from the M5's handy belt clip, which I really love, for everything else I clearly prefer the M0 Pro. The list is long, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the M5 doesn't have a true digital output. If you connect it to an external DAC via USB, you'll have to crank the volume all the way up manually. The M0 pro automatically connects as a fixed digital output. Also, M0 Pro has numerous BT codecs including AAC while M5 does not. If you connect any BT head- or earphones with the AAC codec on board, you'll only get the SBC out of the M5. And last but not least: Yes, the M5 freezes unexpectedly from time to time.

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #539 of 800
I have both the M5 and M0 Pro.
The M5 may have been a king of micro-daps back in the past, but it clearly shows its age. Aside from the M5's handy belt clip, which I really love, for everything else I clearly prefer the M0 Pro. The list is long, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the M5 doesn't have a true digital output. If you connect it to an external DAC via USB, you'll have to crank the volume all the way up manually. The M0 pro automatically connects as a fixed digital output. Also, M0 Pro has numerous BT codecs including AAC while M5 does not. If you connect any BT head- or earphones with the AAC codec on board, you'll only get the SBC out of the M5. And last but not least: Yes, the M5 freezes unexpectedly from time to time.
Thanks, that makes it clear to me the M0 Pro is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back