Shanling M0 Pro - Ultra-Portable Hi-Fi Player, Now With Balanced Output!
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #543 of 825
Pacific-siders -prime has Shanling DAP's on sale. 20% off on the M0P. I'm too weak to resist. Love my two M0's (Black, Red/Gold)

P.S. - Sorry I missed your post @ThEvil0nE about the prime deal.
It's a good deal as your saving $26 which will cover the cost for the case and 4.4mm adapter.
Anyway, anyone has made a clip case for M0Pro yet? or 3D printed?

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #544 of 825
Anyway, anyone has made a clip case for M0Pro yet? or 3D printed?
At Shanling dealers starting from next week:

Clip case.jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #547 of 825
It is funny that I finally decided to undust the M0 and use it for gym workouts, there is a successor. Do you all retire the M0 after listening to the Pro?
I doubt I will retire anything - I already had redundant M0's for gym & work uses. I'm also the type of person with OG iPod's - so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #548 of 825
I research in computer sciences and digital technology with focus on artificial intelligence. I mod and build headphones as a hobby because I am into perfection for that killer sound -- sound is my life and a major part of my salary I invest in audio. I refused DAPs because I believed that it is part of the past with great phones that can do the same. However, this Shanling M0 Pro is a mega hit, it is fantastic. It is for those on the go and the best music device for us who work out. Shanling did it right and this is little light thing is my top recommendation.

I was tired of my dependence on a phone for music which gets in the way during workouts and very messy with cables when playing MQA in no-bluetooth mode. I longed for a very small DAP and therefore purchased and received a M0 Pro. This is the first Shanling product ever after experience with many desktop and portable DACS and amps such as those of Rega, Maranz, Denon, Khadas, Singxer, SMSL, ifi, and fiio. I do have Volumio 3 running on a Raspberry pi 4, a small player but no way I want to use it on the go, also there is no battery. I was considering getting a Rpi zero 2 with battery and a 3D printed case but it became too bulky with a poor screen. I found my optimal solution> a M0 Pro that costs less than trying to build my own player on a Rpi Zero. I hit the order button and forgot about Rpi. I have downloaded MQA files and yes -- wow, the M0 Pro appears to play them with no problem, the MQA logo lights up. Also, when I send the file to a MQA DAC through USB, the MQA logo lights up there as well, on external DACs such as SMSL D1SE and BTR7..... this might be an positive unexpected surprise that is not on Shanlings marketing of this little thing,

Sound Quality
I have quite musical ears but it is hard for me to describe the sound as many reviewers do: The sound is very good for a portable device but it is not at all a desktop replacement and sending M0 Pro USB out to a BTR7 you get better sound. The cross talk is minimized by a lovely balanced design with dual ESS ES9219C 🎊㊗️ and separate op amps.

Trying MQA playback
Q: Does it send MQA bit-perfect to the DAC so I may hear a complete unfolded MQA? Looks like it. So far I am happy with M0 pro..:):gs1000smile:. Test: on my Linux box, I downloaded and converted a Tidal MQA track from Utada Hikari album with my own developed program in python. I dont compress anything, I just dump it as a FLAC with all MQA preserved. The penalty is huge with file sizes of 50+ MB but I have plenty of space on my micro sd card that may be as large as 2 TB, yet mine is only 128 GB, still nooo problem. My program downloaded and converted files fast and accurately, however when copying to a micro SD card some files were copied with errors, which forces me to check files for errors and copy again.

My Usage
M0 Pro for use in workouts together with a MQA decoder such as a BTR7 or BTR5... having M0 Pro only as a player to transmit bit-perfect trough its USB out preserves lots of battery time. Rarely, some times I use bluetooth when I want to listen to radio or something else not on my SD card.

ietups.png

Verdict
it is near perfect as a very light player that you may attach to your headphones. It plays FLAC well, even with MQA encoding. Some of my files are as large as 80 MB because I rip MQA files with no compression at all. Despite such huge file size, M0 Pro handles them well. It is a very versatile little thing, Bluetooth in and out, USB in and out as well as its excellent dac/amp capabilities for my possible future usage scenarios as a dac/amp.

Things I wish were better
  • I have migrated to all 4.4 Pentakon, thus for me I wold like it with a 4.4 out instead. It is maybe too early for some still with the legacy 3.5 out. Shanling should be able to provide both a 4.4 and a 3.5 out on this unit the way the smaller ifi Go Blu has it.
  • battery life
  • better responsive GUI and fast way to access the play screen and a way to force the play screen stay there not to switch to the track photo.

m0pro.png

-

Attachments

• ietups.png
    ietups.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #549 of 825
So.. M0 Pro's sound signature is far different from the original M0. If the M0 was a creamy peanut butter sandwich.. the M0 Pro is like chunky peanut butter and jelly sandwich :smile: What I'm trying to say is the M0 Pro now has a prominent zing on the higher mids and highs giving it more or feeling or sense of detail and separation. The vocals is now a step or two forward while the lower mids and bass has also gotten a bump which is walking the fine line of introducing a smidge of bloat in some cases. I actually am liking it but will probably EQ it a bit. Having the M0 and is used to it's GUI and control, the M0 Pro is nothing foreign or new.

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #551 of 825
I also have the "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" problem. I am on the last firmware 1.4 and files are properly tagged with "album artists" tags, all files are .flac
The problem maybe related to the size of the library, same files on a full 128gb card are fine. On a 256gb card are are a few tracks with unknown artists and on a full 512gb card there are a lot.
The files play fine and show correct tag when browsing by folder or when loaded from a playlist buy they do not show in the library

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #552 of 825
is there a link to where I can buy this?

Check with your local Shanling sellers

I also have the "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" problem. I am on the last firmware 1.4 and files are properly tagged with "album artists" tags, all files are .flac
The problem maybe related to the size of the library, same files on a full 128gb card are fine. On a 256gb card are are a few tracks with unknown artists and on a full 512gb card there are a lot.
The files play fine and show correct tag when browsing by folder or when loaded from a playlist buy they do not show in the library

Strange. When you do new scan on the 256 or 512 GB card, how many files does it show? Does it seem to be able to see them all?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #553 of 825
Many problem occur when copying from your computer to the micro SD card.... I had the same problem as you but after creating directories for each album and playlist directory on thy sd card and then copy files into it solved my problem with my 128 GB sandisk extreme micro sd card. I failed when I tried to copy over many folders in one go. ....

Jul 17, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #554 of 825
Many problem occur when copying from your computer to the micro SD card....

Did not encounter any.

I always copy all songs on my Mac and than insert the card in the M0 Pro. The file structure, albums, songs and artists are recognised without any problems :beyersmile:

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #555 of 825
Strange. When you do new scan on the 256 or 512 GB card, how many files does it show? Does it seem to be able to see them all?

Thanks for the reply, The new scan shows all files on the 512gb card, 12.077 that includes all files, The new scan doesn't seem to skip any files. The scan detects all files but then a lot of them are missing. Even when I hit the "unknown artist" there is a list of all the albums missing, but when I click on the album , the album is empty.
Something strange is that most missing albums are from 2 specific artists that I have a lot of tracks, singles remixes albums etc.

For these two artists A and B I have 1.283 and 924 tracks on card. When I open all tracks for these artists I only get 987 and 610 track for each. All tracks a properly tagged and album artists tag. The are some other albums missing for different artists and compilation. I tried putting these files on a 128gb card with nothing else and the problems persists... so maybe the problem too many tracks for a single artists?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back