Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Nov 7, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,826 of 6,413
I made some small mods and the protective case is ready.

It is designed to:

a) protect the rotating knob from being pushed/rotated inadvertently in your pocket
b) protect (most of) the screen borders from damage when hitting the ground. Only the uppermost corner remains "free"
c) be able to clip on a belt or a thick piece of fabric.
d) be able to still rotate the knob if you really want
IMG_4318.jpg
IMG_4319.jpg

you can find it on eBay searching for "Protective case for Shanling M0"

IMG_4315.jpg
IMG_4313.jpg
IMG_4314.jpg
IMG_4316.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,828 of 6,413

It is designed to:

a) protect the rotating knob from being pushed/rotated inadvertently in your pocket
b) protect (most of) the screen borders from damage when hitting the ground. Only the uppermost corner remains "free"

Amazing work. Would you ever sell these as I would be interested?

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #3,831 of 6,413
I see. Is it possible to add support for AptX to the BT receiver mode?

P/s: I can force AAC mode...I'll test to see how the battery life is. Barely any different with LDAC (to my ears). :)

AptX will not be added to M0 in receiver mode, both due hardware and licensing limitations.

What time will it correspond to ReplayGain & MQA ?
Other company products have started MQA update.
I want the update to hurry.

As it is now. When I next purchase DAP, I will remove Shanling from the choice.

Reply Gain is planned as update.

Since M0 supports all Hi-Res files and is not designed as device for Tidal streaming, we see no usage in implementing lossy codec with heavy licensing fees as is MQA.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #3,832 of 6,413

It is designed to:

That case looks spectacular! The clip at the back and the protection against accidentally moving the volume wheel in one's pocket make this a very attractive buy. It's a bit of a shame eBay's shipping rates to Canada are quite high (bringing the total up to $40.76 CAD) but it looks extremely practical! I hope the first round of cases sell well!

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #3,833 of 6,413
What kind of MQA support are you looking for? I just downloaded some sample files from http://www.2l.no/hires/ of MQA files in FLAC format and they play fine on the M0.

Edit: Nevermind, I understand that MQA in FLAC plays just like FLAC if there is no specific support for MQA.

I did some research on MQA when I saw Sony was adding it to the A55. Apparently it is possible to hear MQA processing without specific MQA hardware support. This depends on what stage the processing is done. Apparently MQA processing has been used recently on some remastered releases. I know for streaming MQA hardware support is required but for offline support it can be done without the need for direct MQA support. This is not automatic of course and is on a release by release basis. MQA wants widespread adoption so it would make sense to be able to hear the processing on legacy hardware without MQA support.

Still very little MQA material out there to listen to and it is yet to be proven that MQA will get a major foothold in the audio industry. It needs widespread streaming support to really push the adoption forward.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #3,834 of 6,413
AptX will not be added to M0 in receiver mode, both due hardware and licensing limitations.

Since M0 supports all Hi-Res files and is not designed as device for Tidal streaming, we see no usage in implementing lossy codec with heavy licensing fees as is MQA.

Glad to see Shanling is being practical about MQA support and not paying the licensing fees. It is just now getting streaming support and not really a benefit for offline listening at this point. I am a big supporter of license free codecs like FLAC and ogg and I wish every DAP maker would support both these codecs. I guess FLAC is pretty much supported by all manufacturers now but I would love to see all manufacturers also support ogg. I will require ogg support on all my future DAP's, MQA not a big deal at least at this point for offline listening.

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #3,835 of 6,413

If at all, perhaps MQA support would be more suitable for the M5s.

Can you give use any timeline on the replaygain update?

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,836 of 6,413
Glad to see Shanling is being practical about MQA support and not paying the licensing fees. It is just now getting streaming support and not really a benefit for offline listening at this point. I am a big supporter of license free codecs like FLAC and ogg and I wish every DAP maker would support both these codecs. I guess FLAC is pretty much supported by all manufacturers now but I would love to see all manufacturers also support ogg. I will require ogg support on all my future DAP's, MQA not a big deal at least at this point for offline listening.
What's so special about ogg? Does it do something flac can't? With most daps supporting flac, it seems the way to go.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,837 of 6,413
What's so special about ogg? Does it do something flac can't? With most daps supporting flac, it seems the way to go.

It produces compressed files smaller than flac in my case about 1/3 smaller and sound better than mp3 at smaller file sizes. Basically ogg is the open source version of mp3 but produces better sounding tracks at smaller sizes than mp3. As I have said I have converted all of my low res 60's 70's and 80's tracks to ogg to save space. Listening to the ogg and flac versions of these tracks I can't hear a difference with the M0 and I have saved a ton of space. My ogg conversions are about 1/3 the file size of the original flac files.

I have a brand new 128 GB card and don't want to go out and spend more on a bigger card. So I decided to convert the low res tracks so I can keep my 128 GB card as long a possible. At some point when I need to get a bigger card I can go back to the flac versions but I probably won't bother as the ogg versions sound great.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,840 of 6,413
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but am I the only one with autonomy problem here ? I like the M0 very much but when I'm using bluetooth it lasts 8 hours max (while listening to real 320 kbps mp3). Is that normal to you ? :confused:

(I bought the M0 with the firmware 2.1 already installed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back