Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Nov 9, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3,856 of 6,418
I'm pretty sure that BT aptX requires a specific BT chip - so the encoding / decoding is done in the BT chip.
And, BT LDAC is a CODEC that can be used with non-aptX BT chips - so the encoding / decoding is done with the device processor or SOC (System On Chip), which probably uses more power.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,857 of 6,418
I'm pretty sure that BT aptX requires a specific BT chip - so the encoding / decoding is done in the BT chip.
And, BT LDAC is a CODEC that can be used with non-aptX BT chips - so the encoding / decoding is done with the device processor or SOC (System On Chip), which probably uses more power.

That does makes sense and again it is hard to get specifics on LDAC from Sony outside of transfer speeds. Yes AptX/HD is owned by Qualcomm and requires one their bluetooth chips to implement it. The Sony A30 series has LDAC but not AptX so no Qualcomm chip. The Fiio M7 has AptX HD but I am not sure which Qualcomm SOC they are using for it. Not a DAP I considered due to lack of power and the fact that it is Fiio which I have had terrible luck with for DAP's. Hopefully we will see more budget level DAP's in the future supporting AptX HD and AptX low-latency for better audio and video synchronization for computer use.

Now AptX is working on a new codec AptX Adaptive which will allow you to transmit 96Khz files wirelessly. Still in the development stage but it shows that bluetooth audio is here to stay and stands to get better over time.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #3,858 of 6,418
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #3,859 of 6,418
Thank you for the review. Quick question how does it compare with the M2S? iems I have the BVGP DMG and maybe also be stacked with a Mojo.
Thanks for reading :) The M0 is only my first Shanling DAP so I can't compare to the M2S. However, it does pair really well with the DMG that's for sure. I just love that it's so versatile. I use it primarily to play lossless files from the SD card but if I want something new it's so easy to stream Spotify from my phone. Oh and I really love the look of the brown leather case but the clip case is so much more convenient for me when I leave the house.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3,861 of 6,418
That does makes sense and again it is hard to get specifics on LDAC from Sony outside of transfer speeds. Yes AptX/HD is owned by Qualcomm and requires one their bluetooth chips to implement it. The Sony A30 series has LDAC but not AptX so no Qualcomm chip. The Fiio M7 has AptX HD but I am not sure which Qualcomm SOC they are using for it. Not a DAP I considered due to lack of power and the fact that it is Fiio which I have had terrible luck with for DAP's. Hopefully we will see more budget level DAP's in the future supporting AptX HD and AptX low-latency for better audio and video synchronization for computer use.

Now AptX is working on a new codec AptX Adaptive which will allow you to transmit 96Khz files wirelessly. Still in the development stage but it shows that bluetooth audio is here to stay and stands to get better over time.

I think you're little wrong. AptX (and HD also) is a codec, just like LDAC, AAC or SBC. Qualcomm sells AptX certification licenses. Even on the cheapest Android Oreo phones with advanced BT stack (like Lineage OS), you just need copy the 2 libraries with the aptx encoder into the rooted system and AptX works without problems. I personally use this on my old and cheap Redmi 3s. Yes, it has a chipset from Qualcomm, but without aptx supprt and this mod works on MTK chipsets too). Of course, this is not exactly legal, but it works and the SQ difference is huge compared to SBC. Similarly, if you buy any BT USB dongle with a CSR chipset, will work in Win, but to keep you working aptx, you need install awesome and outdated Qualcomm CSR Harmony driver. Of course, EPROM in SoC is not so easy to replace, but basically there is SW solution, not HW.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #3,863 of 6,418
HI there guys, just wanna check for those who are using the USB out from the Shanling M0, does your unit gets uncomfortably hot? I'm currently trying to pair it with the Oppo HA-2 and once I plugged both together, the M0 starts to heat up pretty quick and after like 10 - 15 min, force shutdown due to it just overheating.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #3,864 of 6,418
HI there guys, just wanna check for those who are using the USB out from the Shanling M0, does your unit gets uncomfortably hot? I'm currently trying to pair it with the Oppo HA-2 and once I plugged both together, the M0 starts to heat up pretty quick and after like 10 - 15 min, force shutdown due to it just overheating.
mine also gets hot but it didn't do anything harmful....

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #3,865 of 6,418
Why does the clock get desynched so much after a week or two? It is off by half an hour now and I set it maybe a month ago so it was accurate and it has done this before as well.

Are you running your unit until battery is dead and left discharged for some time? Because this is not standard behavior of M0.

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but am I the only one with autonomy problem here ? I like the M0 very much but when I'm using bluetooth it lasts 8 hours max (while listening to real 320 kbps mp3). Is that normal to you ? :confused:

(I bought the M0 with the firmware 2.1 already installed).

why does it use so much battery when the screen is mostly off in BT mode? battery capacity seems a lot bigger than Earstudio ES100 but can't last half as long. I need some technical explanation here :frowning2:

p/s: is it possible for them to optimize battery usage on BT?

M0's battery life is lower when it's used as BT source/receiver. It also depends on which codec are you using.

Comparison to ES100 doesn't make sense, Earstudio is single purpose unit with only basic needs on hardware, on other hand M0 is full DAP with build in system and even enough power to decode DSD files.

I just recieved
It is not responding to commands
The volume knob stoped working
Sounds stange
Did I buy a knock off??
Will a firmware update resolve my issues or did jus throw away a hundred bucks
R3 was far more better little player
So disapointed

So I got a brand new fat32 formated 200gb micro sd
Downloaded the firmware
Unzip it and save to micro sd
Still FV not found message
What am I doing wrong
Doing all with Mac

If your volume knob stopped working, immediately contact your seller and send it back for replacement.

Who was your seller and which firmware came pre-installed on M0?

And firmware update, if you unzipped file, put it in root folder(not literally folder named "root folder", but the main folder of your mSD card), it should all work just fine.

If your M0 is getting hot, it means your DAC is trying to charge from it. Please check the manual of your Oppo, there should be some way how to turn it on in battery power mode only. We got reports of this with some iFi units, people were turning them on in USB charging modes.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #3,867 of 6,418
Can you please let me know where you got it for $80?

11.11. Double eleven, also singles day, is artificial "holiday" created by Alibaba, think of it as Chinese black Friday. So on this one day you can get special discounts, discount vouchers, etc. Luck the ones who found out the deals, but probably impossible to get them until next year.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 13, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #3,868 of 6,418
This really is quite the boss little player. Sound quality is excellent and it packs a punch in the power department for just a little guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back