Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #3,841 of 6,418
Why does the clock get desynched so much after a week or two? It is off by half an hour now and I set it maybe a month ago so it was accurate and it has done this before as well.

My clock has been bang on since I bought it back in July, even after performing firmware updates. This must be an isolated issue and not systemic to all units.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,842 of 6,418
I just recieved
It is not responding to commands
The volume knob stoped working
Sounds stange
Did I buy a knock off??
Will a firmware update resolve my issues or did jus throw away a hundred bucks
R3 was far more better little player
So disapointed

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,843 of 6,418
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but am I the only one with autonomy problem here ? I like the M0 very much but when I'm using bluetooth it lasts 8 hours max (while listening to real 320 kbps mp3). Is that normal to you ? :confused:

(I bought the M0 with the firmware 2.1 already installed).

Yeah that actually sounds about right and about what I get with my unit. Even with my Sony A17 using LDAC bluetooth battery life drops to about half of what I get listening wired. Every DAP I have used with bluetooth takes a significant hit on battery life when bluetooth is turned on.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,844 of 6,418
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but am I the only one with autonomy problem here ? I like the M0 very much but when I'm using bluetooth it lasts 8 hours max (while listening to real 320 kbps mp3). Is that normal to you ? :confused:

(I bought the M0 with the firmware 2.1 already installed).
I get the same battery time. Maybe even less. Kinda suck it cant last me a full day at work

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #3,845 of 6,418
Yeah that actually sounds about right and about what I get with my unit. Even with my Sony A17 using LDAC bluetooth battery life drops to about half of what I get listening wired. Every DAP I have used with bluetooth takes a significant hit on battery life when bluetooth is turned on.
why does it use so much battery when the screen is mostly off in BT mode? battery capacity seems a lot bigger than Earstudio ES100 but can't last half as long. I need some technical explanation here :frowning2:

p/s: is it possible for them to optimize battery usage on BT?

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #3,847 of 6,418
It produces compressed files smaller than flac in my case about 1/3 smaller and sound better than mp3 at smaller file sizes. Basically ogg is the open source version of mp3 but produces better sounding tracks at smaller sizes than mp3. As I have said I have converted all of my low res 60's 70's and 80's tracks to ogg to save space. Listening to the ogg and flac versions of these tracks I can't hear a difference with the M0 and I have saved a ton of space. My ogg conversions are about 1/3 the file size of the original flac files.

I have a brand new 128 GB card and don't want to go out and spend more on a bigger card. So I decided to convert the low res tracks so I can keep my 128 GB card as long a possible. At some point when I need to get a bigger card I can go back to the flac versions but I probably won't bother as the ogg versions sound great.

Hmmm. You'd hate my M0 set up. Nothing less than cd res, all in WAV.

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #3,848 of 6,418
why does it use so much battery when the screen is mostly off in BT mode? battery capacity seems a lot bigger than Earstudio ES100 but can't last half as long. I need some technical explanation here :frowning2:

p/s: is it possible for them to optimize battery usage on BT?

There is bluetooth Low Energy which is suppose to be less power hungry. Here is a link if you want to know more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_Low_Energy. Not all devices support this and my guess is ES100 does if you are getting better battery life but the M0 probably does not. @Shanling will need to confirm this. Sony is very secretive about LDAC and not alot is known about it but tests have shown it transmits alot more data than AptX which helps explain the bigger battery drain. I have searched but I can't find any info on whether or not LDAC works with bluetooth Low Energy. It seems that LDAC has taken attention away from AptX HD which transmits at 576 kbps or close to LDAC Normal. It would be interesting to compare AptX HD battery drain vs LDAC normal but again not alot of devices support AptX HD. LDAC has the advantage that pretty much all Sony's current audio devices support it vs AptX HD needing third party manufacturers to support it.

So it seems if battery life is a concern maybe you should stick to AptX vs LDAC at least in situations where battery life is paramount over audio quality.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #3,849 of 6,418
There is bluetooth Low Energy which is suppose to be less power hungry. Here is a link if you want to know more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_Low_Energy. Not all devices support this and my guess is ES100 does if you are getting better battery life but the M0 probably does not. @Shanling will need to confirm this. Sony is very secretive about LDAC and not alot is known about it but tests have shown it transmits alot more data than AptX which helps explain the bigger battery drain. I have searched but I can't find any info on whether or not LDAC works with bluetooth Low Energy. It seems that LDAC has taken attention away from AptX HD which transmits at 576 kbps or close to LDAC Normal. It would be interesting to compare AptX HD battery drain vs LDAC normal but again not alot of devices support AptX HD. LDAC has the advantage that pretty much all Sony's current audio devices support it vs AptX HD needing third party manufacturers to support it.

So it seems if battery life is a concern maybe you should stick to AptX vs LDAC at least in situations where battery life is paramount over audio quality.
Thank you. Your answer got me curious about LDAC usage so I'm doing some testing with LDAC mode on ES100 at the same time with AAC + SBC mode on Shangling M0.

Update:
LDAC 8hrs
AAC/SBC 9hrs
DAP 10hrs
[these are estimation to my use case][tested twice]

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #3,851 of 6,418

If I'm not mistaken, BTLE is not for transmitting audio, it's more for sensor connection always connected devices and so on where normal BT would suck the the battery dry.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,854 of 6,418

Thanks for your answer (thanks also to stormers). So I'm not the only one, but I guess it's normal if using bluetooth takes two times more energy. I had no idea it was that much. Anyway, I should have precised that I'm not using LDAC but Apt-X (with the ATH AR5BT).

Another thing, it may sounds stupid, but who knows ? Since my AR5BT has a lot more autonomy than the M0 (30 hours or so against 8 hours), I was wondering if it changed something, in terms of autonomy, if I put my AR5BT to maximum volume in order to low down the volume of the M0 ? For exemple, does it help the M0 to last longer if I put the AR5BT to 10/10 and the M0 to 50/100 instead of let's say 5/10 and 80/100. I don't think so but I'm wondering :confused:

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #3,855 of 6,418
Thanks for your answer (thanks also to stormers). So I'm not the only one, but I guess it's normal if using bluetooth takes two times more energy. I had no idea it was that much. Anyway, I should have precised that I'm not using LDAC but Apt-X (with the ATH AR5BT).

Another thing, it may sounds stupid, but who knows ? Since my AR5BT has a lot more autonomy than the M0 (30 hours or so against 8 hours), I was wondering if it changed something, in terms of autonomy, if I put my AR5BT to maximum volume in order to low down the volume of the M0 ? For exemple, does it help the M0 to last longer if I put the AR5BT to 10/10 and the M0 to 50/100 instead of let's say 5/10 and 80/100. I don't think so but I'm wondering :confused:
To my experience and a few times testing, that won't affect much (I did one test with volume on 10 and max source volume). Still within 8hrs.

Either M0 is very insufficient in BT battery optimization or (high possibility) it just consumes a lot more power to drive the unit itself.

Others might be able to give a better explanation though.

(I like to think that M0 acts as DAP DAC first and foremost, BT as secondary. While ES100 is BT first, DAC second)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back