Shanling H5 - Portable DAC/AMP/Player, AKM AK4493S DACs and sweet warm tuning
Feb 22, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #271 of 309
If you like how the Yuki sounds and just need more amp power, if I were you, I'd give it a helping hand with a step-down switching power supply. You will have an increase of 30% more or less, without spending large sums. It exists under two brands PulWtop (Amazon) and Minisopuru (Aliexpress), but it has the same characteristics and the dongle must be connected to the fourth port (the one with the lightning bolt and the absorption control).

https://pulwtop.com/products/pulwto...0gbps-ports-for-imac-macbook-pro-air-ipad-xps

yuki.jpg
Thx for the tip my friend, and it's not that expensive, I think I will try it out and see how it goes and I do like how the Yuki sounds but I think the H5 sounds better.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #274 of 309
Thx for the tip my friend, and it's not that expensive, I think I will try it out and see how it goes and I do like how the Yuki sounds but I think the H5 sounds better.
Sure the H5 will continue to sound better than the Yuki, but at least the Yuki will be able to drive the headphones more easily. :wink:

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #275 of 309
Sure the H5 will continue to sound better than the Yuki, but at least the Yuki will be able to drive the headphones more easily. :wink:
And that's a big plus

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #276 of 309
I think there's a firmware update for the H5 on Shanling's website, but you need to upload it to a card and plug it to the H5, if you haven't done the upgrade you should try it out and see if it helps. I haven't done the update and it runs fine for me.

Thanks, I have done it since I received the shanling h5, I have even reinstalled it after doing a reset, but nothing, I still have the same problems, blocking with mqa/flac/max clues.
I am thinking of selling it and of course I will never buy Shanling again in my life, I have Ibasso, Fiio, Hiby, Zidoo, etc. and I have never had these problems with firmware.
Here they don't give an answer, nor offer any solution, anyway... shanling anymore. (@Shanling )
According to what you answered a few posts ago, you know what problems you are having with the latest version of Tidal and the engineers are working on it... 3 months.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #277 of 309
Thanks, I have done it since I received the shanling h5, I have even reinstalled it after doing a reset, but nothing, I still have the same problems, blocking with mqa/flac/max clues.
I am thinking of selling it and of course I will never buy Shanling again in my life, I have Ibasso, Fiio, Hiby, Zidoo, etc. and I have never had these problems with firmware.
Here they don't give an answer, nor offer any solution, anyway... shanling anymore. (@Shanling )
According to what you answered a few posts ago, you know what problems you are having with the latest version of Tidal and the engineers are working on it... 3 months.
Sorry to hear of your challenges. Every Shanling DAP I've owned (3 so far) and BT DAC (2) has been outstanding in sound, reliability, form and function. I'm a fan. Yet, I've been wrestling between H5 & H7 vs DC Elite for a dongle.

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #278 of 309
I too have always appreciated Shanling products and now own an M6 OG, a UA3, a UA4 and the H7. Never had any problems but it's also true that I don't have any MQA and therefore I can't be of help. It could also be a simply faulty unit, but I don't know and the silence from @Shnaling is also strange as they are usually very diligent in helping their customers.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #279 of 309
I've been using the H5 at work for several weeks now. I brought my focal clears and it's incredible what this little piece of audio gear can do with sound, and I'm liking it better on this single device than my desktop setup, so H5 for Focal's is a go imho, a big recommend if you have both Clear or Radiance.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #280 of 309
I've been using the H5 at work for several weeks now. I brought my focal clears and it's incredible what this little piece of audio gear can do with sound, and I'm liking it better on this single device than my desktop setup, so H5 for Focal's is a go imho, a big recommend if you have both Clear or Radiance.
Great synergy with Hifiman Headphones as well

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #281 of 309
Great synergy with Hifiman Headphones as well
Definitively need to get hold of a big planar hifiman HP, been looking to HEKS and Arya Organic, seem to be great headphones specially for the price.

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #282 of 309
Hi, got the Shanling H5 recently. Amazing sound and already preferring it to the Mojo 2 and iFi Gryphon with my Arya Organic. I have a query though. Is it safe to plug in the USB power simultaneously while the device is operational? Will it harm the battery in the long run?

Not something we would recommend, as it can lead to reduced battery performance in long term.

Hello
Is possible use h5 in bluetooth make voice calling and answer to calls?

No support for calls. You would need to get something like UP5 for it, which has a different Bluetooth solution that's made for this. H5 is just very simple Bluetooth receiver.

Hello, do you intend to fix the problem with MQA tracks on Tidal?

Because the support you offer is none, I have had the problem for 1 month and the only response I have gotten is that you are working on it.

I have daps from Fiio, Ibasso and they have no problem with the new Tidal formats (mqa/flac max) but with your device it is impossible.

Unfortunately we still got no update on this from software team.

I too have always appreciated Shanling products and now own an M6 OG, a UA3, a UA4 and the H7. Never had any problems but it's also true that I don't have any MQA and therefore I can't be of help. It could also be a simply faulty unit, but I don't know and the silence from @Shnaling is also strange as they are usually very diligent in helping their customers.

Well, we had national holidays and we don't work over holidays. Now back in office.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #283 of 309
Has anyone had trouble connecting it via Bluetooth to a windows computer?

I can make the connection and the dac shows connected and on AAC mode. The settings in windows look fine, my output source in windows is the shanling and shows a fixed bit rate (16bit 48khz). The volume mixer level indicators go up and down as I'm playing a song. There are no mute settings on the audio path. On the Shanling there are no mute or volume settings preventing the sound, and my speakers are on and working.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #284 of 309
I just wanted to join in and share my thoughts on the H5. @weeeeesquirrel hooked me up with one of his units and I've been enjoying it immensely.
One of the things that I've been really wanting is a DAC/Amp with an SD card. As I'm deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, DAC Amps have been something that I really enjoy, but haven't had the sound quality that I've been looking for without turning the unit into a dongle. Having my library on an SD card and enjoying FLAC files is so much nicer than all the other DAC/Amps that I own. So here is some feedback to @Shanling to keep these products coming and iterating upward.

Pros:
  • Great sound signature! It's warm, punchy, dynamic, and has good separation with a pleasant sense of width and to a lesser degree depth in terms of sound stage.
  • Solid build quality. It feels sturdy, well made, and feels like a quality device.
  • The add-on case is really nice! It has a great feel and I can see why it's an extra, but it's definitely preferred. Keep up the better cases.
  • Everything is just better with 4.4mm so keep that!
  • Battery life on a charge seems to be really good! I haven't had any long endurance tests, but I haven't charged it much. (DAPs are horrible in this department because the Android OS seems to drain batteries for some reason.
  • Keep the inputs away from the outputs! I was looking at the H2 but don't like to have the data/charging port on the same side as my headphone cable.
  • Keep developing the Eddict player. The screen on a phone is always better than anything on a DAP and will always be more responsive.
  • The OS for the H5 is pretty good. It doesn't stutter, it's quick to start and power up, and doesn't drain the battery.
  • I love the responsive approach that Shanling takes to product development and it seems that they are becoming more prolific with many new products and also lower price points.
Pluses:
  • Having two USB-C ports. one for power and one for a source is really nice. It's odd though that its recommended that the unit is changed while not in use.
  • Small screen that doesn't draw power, but has just enough information to let you know what's going on. This is actually well done! It also helps to have colored LEDs to let you know that you're connected to Bluetooth or that you're listening to certain types of files.
  • the two-wheel system for navigating. It's a decent system and gives you access to a lot without having to put a bunch of buttons on the device. It's interesting but forces the design of the device to have rounded edges to keep the design consistent.
Cons
  • Apple Bluetooth connectivity is not awesome. I don't know if it's the metal case or an issue with defaulting to SBC, but listening to podcasts or watching YouTube while connected to the device is often spotty and inconsistent.
  • Switching from the TF to BT requires switching modes. It would be great if the app could just switch that for you. Sometimes you just want to switch back and forth.
  • Eddict app connection to an iPhone (I haven't tested it yet with my Android phone yet) The connection drops and is difficult to regain a connection to the H5 to control playback. I have a feeling that this is part of why the battery lasts such a long time, but it would be nice to have a better way for the H5 and the Eddict app to more seamlessly maintain and/or repair connections.

The niggly bits:
  • The Eddict player does what it is supposed to do, but it would be nice if...
    • reconnecting didn't require going into what is essentially the settings menu each time to reconnect. (closing and restarting the app does seem to reconnect the phone to the H5)
    • there was a way to copy the album art from FLAC metadata and build a database on the phone. It would be slow, but even if there was a way to run it in the background, it would make the visual experience much nicer.
    • having a quick jump alphabet on the side of the track, album, and artist list would be great. (I'm getting about as far as "G"s before I "just" choose an artist to listen to.
  • LIPO battery concerns. I have owned many DAPs, DAPs that I have loved, but the one thing that kills them is the battery. It's also why I know that ultimately my H5 will die a slow quiet death.
My hope for Shanling, is to keep investing in App development. The Eddict player does do what it needs to do, but it could be so much more. It could be the ecosystem that no Hi-Fi manufacturer seems to have yet. And money put into the app will benefit every subsequent product that connects to that app. The TF card reader approach makes up for limitations with Apple devices in that they have limited wireless codec support and limited storage.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #285 of 309
I just wanted to join in and share my thoughts on the H5. @weeeeesquirrel hooked me up with one of his units and I've been enjoying it immensely.
One of the things that I've been really wanting is a DAC/Amp with an SD card. As I'm deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, DAC Amps have been something that I really enjoy, but haven't had the sound quality that I've been looking for without turning the unit into a dongle. Having my library on an SD card and enjoying FLAC files is so much nicer than all the other DAC/Amps that I own. So here is some feedback to @Shanling to keep these products coming and iterating upward.

Pros:
  • Great sound signature! It's warm, punchy, dynamic, and has good separation with a pleasant sense of width and to a lesser degree depth in terms of sound stage.
  • Solid build quality. It feels sturdy, well made, and feels like a quality device.
  • The add-on case is really nice! It has a great feel and I can see why it's an extra, but it's definitely preferred. Keep up the better cases.
  • Everything is just better with 4.4mm so keep that!
  • Battery life on a charge seems to be really good! I haven't had any long endurance tests, but I haven't charged it much. (DAPs are horrible in this department because the Android OS seems to drain batteries for some reason.
  • Keep the inputs away from the outputs! I was looking at the H2 but don't like to have the data/charging port on the same side as my headphone cable.
  • Keep developing the Eddict player. The screen on a phone is always better than anything on a DAP and will always be more responsive.
  • The OS for the H5 is pretty good. It doesn't stutter, it's quick to start and power up, and doesn't drain the battery.
  • I love the responsive approach that Shanling takes to product development and it seems that they are becoming more prolific with many new products and also lower price points.
Pluses:
  • Having two USB-C ports. one for power and one for a source is really nice. It's odd though that its recommended that the unit is changed while not in use.
  • Small screen that doesn't draw power, but has just enough information to let you know what's going on. This is actually well done! It also helps to have colored LEDs to let you know that you're connected to Bluetooth or that you're listening to certain types of files.
  • the two-wheel system for navigating. It's a decent system and gives you access to a lot without having to put a bunch of buttons on the device. It's interesting but forces the design of the device to have rounded edges to keep the design consistent.
Cons
  • Apple Bluetooth connectivity is not awesome. I don't know if it's the metal case or an issue with defaulting to SBC, but listening to podcasts or watching YouTube while connected to the device is often spotty and inconsistent.
  • Switching from the TF to BT requires switching modes. It would be great if the app could just switch that for you. Sometimes you just want to switch back and forth.
  • Eddict app connection to an iPhone (I haven't tested it yet with my Android phone yet) The connection drops and is difficult to regain a connection to the H5 to control playback. I have a feeling that this is part of why the battery lasts such a long time, but it would be nice to have a better way for the H5 and the Eddict app to more seamlessly maintain and/or repair connections.

The niggly bits:
  • The Eddict player does what it is supposed to do, but it would be nice if...
    • reconnecting didn't require going into what is essentially the settings menu each time to reconnect. (closing and restarting the app does seem to reconnect the phone to the H5)
    • there was a way to copy the album art from FLAC metadata and build a database on the phone. It would be slow, but even if there was a way to run it in the background, it would make the visual experience much nicer.
    • having a quick jump alphabet on the side of the track, album, and artist list would be great. (I'm getting about as far as "G"s before I "just" choose an artist to listen to.
  • LIPO battery concerns. I have owned many DAPs, DAPs that I have loved, but the one thing that kills them is the battery. It's also why I know that ultimately my H5 will die a slow quiet death.
My hope for Shanling, is to keep investing in App development. The Eddict player does do what it needs to do, but it could be so much more. It could be the ecosystem that no Hi-Fi manufacturer seems to have yet. And money put into the app will benefit every subsequent product that connects to that app. The TF card reader approach makes up for limitations with Apple devices in that they have limited wireless codec support and limited storage.
Nice write up!
For me my biggest complaints are:
1) incompatibility with Apple TV bluetooth
2) edict player doesn’t recognize iso files

Also curious about the volume on the device. If I turn on the device without headphones plugged in, it’ll show whatever volume. But when I plug the headphones in, it’ll change to a different volume. Any explanation for this? Is it sensing the headphone connection and changing the volume automatically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back