Shanling H5 - Portable DAC/AMP/Player, AKM AK4493S DACs and sweet warm tuning
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #196 of 320
Here ya go mate…
Shanling EH3

IMG_0104.jpeg

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #198 of 320
This is designed to be a portable unit. The output impedance is required for the DAC used as stated earlier in thread. It does not negatively impact sound quality at all. My DUNU Falcon Ultra 16ohm, Shanling SONO 16ohm, Meze 99 Neo 19ohm Classics 17ohm… all sound fantastic out of the H5. The Falcon Ultra sound incredible out of the 4.4mm balanced output. Read what I could find on output impedance over 1ohm and only drivers with goofy impedance curves “might” have their tonality affected by it. We’re only talking 4/6ohms here and the warnings about high output impedance refer to output impedances over like 30ohms. Buy it and find out for yourselves how incredible it sounds.
Really appreciated reading this comment, as I've been almost preoccupied reading about the high output impedance on the H5 vs lower impedance IEMs, the rule of 1/8th, impedance mismatch etc. I think on paper, my IEMs shouldn't be a good match with the H5, but I have to say I'm loving the sound! (Of course my brain is the one saying but..but.. could it sound better with lower output impedance device, maybe the H7?) For now, I only have the H5 to play with (I had dragonfly RED prior, and like the H5 infinitely more). So although my low impedance IEMs shouldn't theoretically work too well with the high output impedance H5, I'm quite happy!

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #199 of 320
Really appreciated reading this comment, as I've been almost preoccupied reading about the high output impedance on the H5 vs lower impedance IEMs, the rule of 1/8th, impedance mismatch etc. I think on paper, my IEMs shouldn't be a good match with the H5, but I have to say I'm loving the sound! (Of course my brain is the one saying but..but.. could it sound better with lower output impedance device, maybe the H7?) For now, I only have the H5 to play with (I had dragonfly RED prior, and like the H5 infinitely more). So although my low impedance IEMs shouldn't theoretically work too well with the high output impedance H5, I'm quite happy!
So no hiss on the parts where the song plays at very low volumes?

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #200 of 320
In my experience the H5 actually sounds its best with low impedance headphones/iems. Blackest abyss for background. All this talk about about rule of 8s etc is just that… talk… I couldn’t find anyone saying “omg my low impedance headphones sound horrible out of such and such device and it turned out to be high output impedance on my amp… etc”.

BTW, the effect it might have if any would be to warm the sound signature with some low end boost… isn’t that why we buy Shanling products in the first place? For their sound signature? Have a little faith that their engineers know what they are doing.

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #201 of 320
I really appreciate the work of the Shanling engineers and my love for the sound they achieved with my first Shanling M6 OG (2xAKM AK4495SEQ) is still unchanged. I never thought of replacing it with the new and multiple iterations that followed it also because little by little they moved further and further away from the magical sound of the first series which I still listen to with great pleasure. I think it is one of the best sounding devices I have owned even after many years. I'm just undecided between the H5 and the H7 even though I've read that some prefer the sound signature of the former. However, I think that "maybe" H7 is more complete (battery) and with a superior chip... I had to look for some direct comparison between the two before choosing. Of course the price would encourage you to try the H5 but in the end both are very far from spending a DAP of the same level as theirs... so in the end I think it could also be done for the H7.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #204 of 320
Honestly it seems like an interesting object to me, but the choice to bring out an amplification with such a high impedance practically cuts 95% of my IEMs out of their possible use. A truly unfortunate choice on Shanlig's part if they wanted to offer a more accessible alternative to the expensive H7 which doesn't have this exaggerated impedance that makes almost any IEM unusable with this amp/dac. We'll have to wait for a new evolution... too bad.

If your IEMs demand low output impedance, you can check our H2, which has 0.4/0.8 output impedance.

https://en.shanling.com/product/445

This is designed to be a portable unit. The output impedance is required for the DAC used as stated earlier in thread. It does not negatively impact sound quality at all. My DUNU Falcon Ultra 16ohm, Shanling SONO 16ohm, Meze 99 Neo 19ohm Classics 17ohm… all sound fantastic out of the H5. The Falcon Ultra sound incredible out of the 4.4mm balanced output. Read what I could find on output impedance over 1ohm and only drivers with goofy impedance curves “might” have their tonality affected by it. We’re only talking 4/6ohms here and the warnings about high output impedance refer to output impedances over like 30ohms. Buy it and find out for yourselves how incredible it sounds.

I would say there are some designs that show more noticeable changes with high output impedance (Shure SE846 and Campfire Andromeda being prime examples), for this it's important for users to know behaviour of their IEMs or Headphones based on different output impedances and choose their source accordingly. It's hard to judge this based just one one number in specification.

I attempted to buy h5 but hated battery management.....any kind of deskop mode...nothing
Can be buyed battery in Europe and is user friendly replacement?

Battery in Europe can be purchased through our official distributors.

Depends on your definition of "user friendly". It's built into the device, so it's harder than batteries on old phones. But it's not as complicated as modern smartphones full of glass panels and glue.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #206 of 320
90% of brands make and competing which will make more analitical devices all all sound lean neutral..boring without emotion and bass in dry and no impact...why make staff for studio purposes than make enjoying for other people who enjoying in warm relax lush sounding which nowadays is very rare to find...please shanling we only have hope with you to not go in that direction but make new devices which sound like old shanling with akm chiips..you will be winner...make some warm dac amp for people like me which search this signature is a pain in the ass..people need for studio purposes and also need for pure enjoy...is the era for better technicalities and the music is lost...like roobots sings hahahha

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #209 of 320
I think that in the end this battery management is a fake problem... of course if there had been desktop management it would have been better, but using it as a normal DAP I don't think is a big problem. You charge it for an hour and a half and enjoy it for 10 hours of music. However, already my old M6 OG with quick charge 3 and the same consumption charges quickly and lasts a long time... we are talking about the first M6 so it is more than three years old and no problems.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #210 of 320
It surely isn't fake, maybe overrated, and it depends on the cell quality. My iFi Nano iDSD battery bulged in less than 2 years of constant use, but it was an older generation battery obviously. Maybe the newer ones are better. Is there an official spec sheet from Shanling for the battery used in this device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back